Power tubes

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
I am having my Fender Twin Reverb 66 Reissue serviced.  It apparently needs two new 6L6 power tubes.  After asking me about the kind of music I play, the repairman recommended the Ruby 6L6 tubes as a balance between quality and cost.  After looking about the internet, there are a gazillion tubes out there and I am getting a headache.
I am going with his recommendations but I am making this a learning moment.  Any comments about the Ruby's?
Thanks

gpower

Blues Junior
Personally, I don't like the Groove Tubes and much prefer jj's when it comes to cost effective options. For Fender outputs the Holy Grail are NOS RCA.

I've been buying my tubes from Bob at Eurotubes. He'll make good recommendations based on your style, and hand pick matched tubes for you.

http://www.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=7&sub_category_id=38

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I have Tung Sol in my Princeton, but those are 6V6.  They sound nice, and are matched.  What I replaced was an RCA and Sylvania, but  I don't know that it makes too mutch difference.

My wife's Fender Champion had terrible tubes in it.  The 12ax7a pre-amp tube was noisy as heck with hiss, and the 6V6 power tube just sounded bad.  I used the old 6V6 tube from the Princeton and got a Ruby 12AX7A and it quieted down real nice.

If your tubes sound good to you there's no need to replace them.  I had the ones in my Princeton for 30 years, but a lot of those I didn't use the amp much.

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
If it were me I think I would just go with the technician’s recommendation…  Assuming he’s a good one..

falconer

Blues Newbie
Power tube swapping is a lot of fun but the tonal difference between brands, while noticeable, won't approach the difference you'll hear when trying different preamp tubes.

Different 12AX7s will make far more difference than different 6L6s or 6V6s.  The bonus is that playing with different NOS or ANOS preamp tubes is commonly a lot cheaper if you shop wisely.

gpower

Blues Junior
Power tube swapping is a lot of fun but the tonal difference between brands, while noticeable, won't approach the difference you'll hear when trying different preamp tubes.

Different 12AX7s will make far more difference than different 6L6s or 6V6s.  The bonus is that playing with different NOS or ANOS preamp tubes is commonly a lot cheaper if you shop wisely.

I agree that the preamp tubes have a greater impact in tone shaping, but the overall character comes from the outputs. 6v6 vs EL84, or 6L6 vs EL34.. Even within a tube type, you can go from a warmer sound to cold and sterile.

Here's a great Fender vintage only site:

http://fenderguru.com/

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I currently have Tung Sols and JJ's (Eurotubes) in my amps...can't remember which is in which...but I'd also recommend Bob @ Eurotubes...dealt with him quite a bit and never dissatisfied...later.

cowboy

falconer

Blues Newbie
I agree that the preamp tubes have a greater impact in tone shaping, but the overall character comes from the outputs. 6v6 vs EL84, or 6L6 vs EL34.. Even within a tube type, you can go from a warmer sound to cold and sterile

Agreed.  My Nace amp will accept 6V6, 6L6, or EL34 power tubes with no trouble at all.

The latter two will give you more wattage, but each gives something away according to my ear.  The 6V6 has the best sound, the 6L6 has a more harsh sound, and the EL34 is warmer but sacrifices the highs I like to hear.  Each tube could have a "favorite" pickup or speaker that might alter these characteristics, but there's no doubt their "character" as you said is quite different.