Can you paint a guitar body with automotive paint?

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
Makes you wonder ... maybe the best guitar body is some kind of material that doesn't resonate AT ALL.  Maybe the resonance in different woods DETRACTS from the natural resonance of the strings.

It seems logical.  With acoustics you want the wood to resonate.  With electrics you want the string energy transmitted to the pickups, not absorbed by the body.  Along those lines, I've discussed neck thickness or rigidity with custom builders who believe that also to be a contributing factor.

You're *not* hearing it here - got this?  :cool:

A little birdy told me that Music Man will soon release a guitar - designed with John Petrucci (Dream Theater) and called The Majesty - where carbon fiber plays a huge role in the fabrication.  Certainly not the first manufacturer to do so (here's some others: http://www.carbonfibergear.com/6-sexy-carbon-fiber-guitars/ ) - but surely going to be an interesting piece.

Kevin

falconer

Blues Newbie
You're *not* hearing it here - got this?  :cool:

A little birdy told me that Music Man will soon release a guitar - designed with John Petrucci (Dream Theater) and called The Majesty - where carbon fiber plays a huge role in the fabrication.  Certainly not the first manufacturer to do so (here's some others: http://www.carbonfibergear.com/6-sexy-carbon-fiber-guitars/ ) - but surely going to be an interesting piece.

Kevin

I'm not surprised.  My old teacher has an endorsement from a maker using resin bodies.  Why not CF?

punder

Blues Newbie
About the resonance thing... I've always wondered about electric resonators.  Does the cone affect the amplified sound at all?

JohnBikadi

Blues Newbie
Hi.  I too made and painted my custom Tele with a metalic automotive  paint.  My body was alder.  I used an epoxy grey coat primer first then applied the custom made blue metalic paint.  Low or high volume spray guns will work although watch out for the low volume sprayer it can spray a lot of paint. I also finished it up with a clear epoxy coat high gloss clear coat. Whew,  then I sanded it starting with 400 grit and went all the way up to 3000 grit and finished it off with fine carnuba wax. 

2000strat

Beautiful guitar. I hope it sounds as good as it looks. I have decided that I DON'T care if it changes the tone or pitch a hair or two. Hell, I don't play well enough that anyone would notice. They would think that I meant for it to sound that way. It's going to sound good enough for me, and it will look killer next to my bike. When the time come I'll get someone to put pictures on here so you can see what I ended up with. ( If I trash it don't hold your breath for pictures). No matter what happens I am going to enjoy doing it and have a sense of accomplishment.
                                       Thank you so much