where do you keep your gear?

EJG

Central NJ
I keep my strat on a stand in the living room (for noodling on scales during commercials when I watch tv with Mrs. EJG). The rest are all out on stands in my finished basement, along with amps, PA, and a drum kit. Except my Taylor; because of humidity concerns it lives in its case in my computer room.

gpower

Blues Junior
Amp, guitar, pedals next to the couch. Other guitars, amps, gear in closets, under the bed, stacked in the corner (400 ft[sup]2[/sup] apartment).

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
has anyone ever converted their garage into a practice space?

from what I've seen, insulation, drywall, a/c and security systems aren't too expensive. soundproofing is killing me.

Yes, well sorta.  I took a portion of the barn and tuned it into my studio.  I have a 12 X 19 Live room and a 10 X 16 control/mixing room.

Notice the room sizes are pretty close to the golden ratio.

The poles of the barn are 8" dimensional (true 8") so I just added additional studding and furring to support the dry wall.  I had the exterior walls spray foamed with dense insulation and used rock wool between the rooms. 

I have 2 layers of 1/2" dry wall on the walls and ceiling (5/8 is recommended but the 1/2 is working for me.)  Be sure to overlap the seams of the dry wall and caulk the corners.  Sound leaks in the corners and through seams like you would not believe.

Of course I didn't mention anything about non parallel walls, bass traps, or acoustic clouds, etc. that is beyond this thread, I think.

Most of my gear is in the studio, but I do keep a couple of acoustic guitars tucked into a corner of the living room.  Wife doesn't mind them so much.

Since the studio is away from the house, I also have two security systems. I have the door and motion sensors, and a Smith and Wesson.   :D

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
has anyone ever converted their garage into a practice space?

from what I've seen, insulation, drywall, a/c and security systems aren't too expensive. soundproofing is killing me.

Yes, well sorta.  I took a portion of the barn and tuned it into my studio.  I have a 12 X 19 Live room and a 10 X 16 control/mixing room.

Notice the room sizes are pretty close to the golden ratio.

The poles of the barn are 8" dimensional (true 8") so I just added additional studding and furring to support the dry wall.  I had the exterior walls spray foamed with dense insulation and used rock wool between the rooms. 

I have 2 layers of 1/2" dry wall on the walls and ceiling (5/8 is recommended but the 1/2 is working for me.)  Be sure to overlap the seams of the dry wall and caulk the corners.  Sound leaks in the corners and through seams like you would not believe.

Of course I didn't mention anything about non parallel walls, bass traps, or acoustic clouds, etc. that is beyond this thread, I think.

Most of my gear is in the studio, but I do keep a couple of acoustic guitars tucked into a corner of the living room.  Wife doesn't mind them so much.

Since the studio is away from the house, I also have two security systems. I have the door and motion sensors, and a Smith and Wesson.   :D

Soinds like you did a pretty good job there. When I downsize my home...I'm building in a studio. I'm envious.

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
For me, they need to be close at hand so any time the notion strikes I can grab one. If I have to retire to my office I know I would play guitar half as much as I do. Fortunately my wife agrees (so far) and even helped set up one wall of our living room.

shotgunmax

Blues Newbie
For me, they need to be close at hand so any time the notion strikes I can grab one. If I have to retire to my office I know I would play guitar half as much as I do. Fortunately my wife agrees (so far) and even helped set up one wall of our living room.

But, how do you keep the amps on the wall like that? ;D

Terry B

But, how do you keep the amps on the wall like that? ;D

Not easy sometimes. [smiley=wink.gif]

Terry B

Terry, I see a bass on the wall.  Were you holding out on us at the hotel jams?

Maybe just a little Lloyd, but being even greener on the bass than the guitar I thought it best. Maybe next year. [smiley=undecided.gif]

sloslunas

NM Blues

What's that big blue pedal on the floor???? It looks important!

Terry B

That's my main pedal Steve. It's the one with my Ultimate Jam Tracks, sure works great!

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I'm "allowed" to keep one guitar in the liviing room and the rest of my gear is in the spare bedroom...messy is not the word...but it's my mess and I love it...10 guitars and six amps in sight...won't talk about the closet...later.

cowboy

gpower

Blues Junior
I'm "allowed" to keep one guitar in the liviing room and the rest of my gear is in the spare bedroom...messy is not the word...but it's my mess and I love it...10 guitars and six amps in sight...won't talk about the closet...later.

cowboy
There's a pile of stuff in that closet too! I've seen it! :eek: