Free GAS.. Sorta

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
A year or so ago, my business partner got the iRig interface and software for his iPhone.  It's not a bad little app to have around.  Unfortunately, I have an Android phone.

Tada!  Today I got an email from IK Multimedia, the outfit that makes iRig.  They are now offering  the app for Android phones!  YIPPEE! For Free!  Double YIPPEE!

I rushed to their web site to download it, http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigrecorderandroid/
only to find out you need Android 4.0 as a minimum and my old LG phone is an antique back in 2.something.  You're probably still going to need an interface dongle for the best quality recording, but the freebie will at least let you try it out with your phone's built in mic.

Of course there is the hook to upgrade to their full version (which I have no idea about, since I can't download it) for $4.99.  This suddenly makes getting a new Android tablet seem like it might be a good idea.

If anyone has a phone or tablet running 4.0 Android (or newer, if there is something newer).  I would love to hear about someone taking the freebie version for a spin.

-Disclaimer:  No (4.0 Android) phone, no lights, no motor car and no financial or other interest in IK Multimedia except what I just wrote above.-

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
  I have been thinking about "upgrading" from my KRZR-K1 phone to a Motorola Bravo that runs Android 2.2 with the idea that I might be able to use it in the above described fashion... Oh well, guess not. It isn't like I need another money-trap. 

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I have a Galaxy S3, so I'll give it a look.
Thanks for the heads up.

henryj

Blues Newbie
I have it in my Iphone and have all the upgrades.  Is kind of nice the see just what exactly some of the 19 different pedals do.  Also 10 amps (all Fender) and an assortment of speakers and mics.  The latest version has drums, 8 different styles of stacks eack with 8 grooves each and each groove having 8 sections from intro to outro wich let you paste together a complete drum track.
Add a four track recorder and mixer and you have everything you need.

You can buy the addons in pieces or package deals.

It will play your own music or backing tracks (with a speed control if needed) and copy it to the recorder along with you and your guitar.

Do I use it much?
No, I find the small iphone user interface to be so frustrating I get pe'od and shut it off before I get anywhere.

I'd would like to try it on a tablet where more of the controls fit on one screen instead of constantly switching screens and trying to remember what I have set and what I still need to do while squinting at a small iphone screen.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I just used it tonight to record a song during a friend's gig, but I can't figure out how to save/name/create an MP3 of it.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
This is actually just a recording app for Android, not a guitar amp and effects simulator. Looks like the iRig guitar interface and software that Paparaptor's friend and henryj have are not available for Android (yet?*).

So if you're after a capable sound recording app with more editing functionality than others, this might be good for you. But if you're wanting to rock out on your guitar through your Android device, this won't do that.

*edit: Here's why [http://www.gizmag.com/irighd-guitar-interface-iphone/25873/]:
"The iRig HD is currently not supporting Android, even though in our testing we have seen positive results," the company's Paul Hudson told us. "The main concern is that you need an USB A female to Micro USB adapter or cable to connect it. In addition, you must use an app that supports USB audio on Android, and as of today there are only a few. For these reasons, we are not currently offering support with Android, just iOS and Mac."