Jamman Looper - question on jam tracks/SD card

JN99

Hang Fire
I am on the verge of getting a looper and think it will be a Jamman Solo XT.  I read here and posted a question about this in the jam tracks poll thread but it seems it's not getting seen there.  Thought I would post here in hopes someone can help.

A couple people in that thread mentioned loading jam tracks to their Jamman (either on an SD card or maybe directly into internal memory, not sure).  This is exactly what I'd like to do but after reading through the manual online, there is absolutely no explanation on how to actually use the SD card, only that you can use one and, in the case of the Solo XT for 200 loops.  Ok, great, but how?  What file format(s) are supported?  How do the files have to be named or does it matter?  What about directories?  How do they have to be structured?  It amazes me that none of this info is in the Jamman manuals.

Any help would be appreciated as I'd hate to get the jamman and then find I cannot use it for playing backing and jam tracks as I'm hoping I can.

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
Jn99 you have to load the software that comes with the Jamman--called JamManager-- your backing track files have to be in the formatt .wav   The software comes with the Jamman, or you can download it off of the Jamman website.

Carlos

JN99

Hang Fire
Thanks Carlos!  So once I have the Jamman software, it manages directories, etc?  I just need to get the files into the .wav format and it does the rest from there?

sloslunas

NM Blues
JN99...I posted this a while back about the Jamman stereo loop pedal. It may help answer at least part of your question?
Carlos already answered your question so I will just add a bit. Like you, I was trying to get away from having to use a computer in my music room, and MP3 players, and CD players for that matter. To me they are a huge distraction and took away from the overall joy of just playing. Now I have everything in one small spot that I can also take anywhere at a moments notice. The added bonus was once I took all that crap out of my music room I noticed I had room for 2 more guitars!!!
     The pedal has an internal memory for 99 slots that holds up to 35 minutes of recording...I use the internal memory bank for stuff I actually want to record. As Carlos stated, you can put in a 16Gb SD card that will hold an additional 99 slots and up to 16 hours of recording...this is where I put 70 or 80 full length jam tracks to play over. While putting these tracks on the SD card I highly recommend that on a separate piece of paper you write down the # of the slot with the key and a short description so you can quickly navigate your way around. I hope this info helps...in any event, happy hunting!

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
JN99...I posted this a while back about the Jamman stereo loop pedal. It may help answer at least part of your question?
Carlos already answered your question so I will just add a bit. Like you, I was trying to get away from having to use a computer in my music room, and MP3 players, and CD players for that matter. To me they are a huge distraction and took away from the overall joy of just playing. Now I have everything in one small spot that I can also take anywhere at a moments notice. The added bonus was once I took all that crap out of my music room I noticed I had room for 2 more guitars!!!
     The pedal has an internal memory for 99 slots that holds up to 35 minutes of recording...I use the internal memory bank for stuff I actually want to record. As Carlos stated, you can put in a 16Gb SD card that will hold an additional 99 slots and up to 16 hours of recording...this is where I put 70 or 80 full length jam tracks to play over. While putting these tracks on the SD card I highly recommend that on a separate piece of paper you write down the # of the slot with the key and a short description so you can quickly navigate your way around. I hope this info helps...in any event, happy hunting!

can i get that SD card??    :)

sloslunas

NM Blues
Jack- Since that post I have actually added 2 more SD cards. One I use for recordings that I want to keep a permanent record of (the way I play that card doesn't see much action!). The other card I got to put Griff's Ultimate Jam Tracks on and has all 99 slots filled (and a one page sheet of paper with all tracks written down for easy navigation).

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Jack- Since that post I have actually added 2 more SD cards. One I use for recordings that I want to keep a permanent record of (the way I play that card doesn't see much action!). The other card I got to put Griff's Ultimate Jam Tracks on and has all 99 slots filled (and a one page sheet of paper with all tracks written down for easy navigation).

Very cool... I need to get the Ultimate Jam tracks and do the same!  thanks for the tip!

JN99

Hang Fire
Ok guys, thanks for the replies.  Just one last question on this and that is about sound.  Running backing tracks off of a Jamman through an amp, is it best to run the amp with as dry/neutral a sound as possible for this?  IS there anyway to set this up so that the guitar can have effect applied but not the backing track/loop?  Obviously anything done via the amp's controls will affect both guitar and loop but what about using pedals?  If I put the looper last in the chain would that allow for say and overdriven guitar but clean backing track?

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Ok guys, thanks for the replies.  Just one last question on this and that is about sound.  Running backing tracks off of a Jamman through an amp, is it best to run the amp with as dry/neutral a sound as possible for this?  IS there anyway to set this up so that the guitar can have effect applied but not the backing track/loop?  Obviously anything done via the amp's controls will affect both guitar and loop but what about using pedals?  If I put the looper last in the chain would that allow for say and overdriven guitar but clean backing track?
Yep putting it last in the chain lets you record your clean, bass, and keep layering loops with different sounds.

If you have a seperate amp or pa it is nice to run the looper out to a sepearte amp. With the stereo you can do mulitple configs for input output.

With the solo you could run an A/B box after your effects before your looper. A goes to looper then pa or amp. B gies to guitar amp. Gives you much more control over individual volumes and your guitar amp does not modify the loper signal.

JN99

Hang Fire
Thanks again for the replies and info.  I ordered a Jamman Solo XT last night and should have it mid-week  :)

JN99

Hang Fire
I actually haven't used it much since I am still spending most of my time playing through the PC working on BGU and various other courses.

When I did spend a little time with it I found some of the instructions to be lacking so as with many things it's a fair amount of trial and error.  And for the life of me I cannot figure out why the loop number flashes sometimes or what it means when it does  :-?

I'm not deep enough into it yet to offer many tips except that to undo/delete the first loop before it's stored i.e. one you just recorded you have to press the Store button twice - I didn't see that in the manual anywhere, it just talks about undo for overdubs.