Gimmee Three Steps - recording

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
I recorded the lead/rhythm guitar part over the backing track provided in the HalLeonard "Lynryd Skynyrd" book. Still more work to memorize the outro.  I missed some riffs in the outro but covered them decently just the same.

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/X9Y8TpQv/Gimme_Three_Steps__BT__-_Bluew.html

The track I recorded but without the backing track in the mix. Naked you can hear all the mistakes ..
http://www.4shared.com/mp3/C4IArCHE/Gimme_Three_Steps_-_removed_ba.html

ianljj

Blues Newbie
Very nice, Dave!  Sounded great to me.  You are your own worst critic, as am I.  Keep up the good work!
Ian

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
Sounds real good Dave!

Guys, thanks for the encouragement; Recording the tune forced me to play start to end. Just remembering where all the parts go is a challenge then to play through without any major errors is a double challenge. Fun though. 

JohnF

Blues Junior
Yeah Dave I think you sounded great. If you didn't hit all the notes I couldn't tell but you sure hit the essence of the song. Very nice work.

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
  Very well played Dave! You've got the tone about as dead on as I've heard anywhere outside the original recording. Maybe a few spots aren't quite there, but nothing that won't smooth out over time. Have a 12-pack for your efforts  [smiley=beer.gif]

BBOP

Blues Newbie
That sounded Great Dave and loved the tone and everything about it!!! wicked!!!  [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
THANKS GUYS FOR THE ENCOURAGING FEEDBACK. I'VE CHOSEN THE NEXT SONG FOR ME TO LEARN, "SWEET HOME ALABAMA" .... [smiley=beer.gif]

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
Thanks Keith and Spencer. I really dig "Lynryd Skynyrd". Hope all is going well with your guitar work too.

Dave

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Wow Dave, sorry it's taken me so long to get around to listening to this. You sound fantastic!
We do this one in my band and since I sing it, I don't do the lead, but is wish my guitar player could play it half as well as you.
Really really great.

Did you figure it out on your own or did you get the tab someplace?

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
You're doing great Dave.  The bands I was in when that song was on the charts used to play that song ... I played rhythm.  Our lead player hardly ever managed to play it the same exact way twice.  Half of being a good lead player is being able to cover up mistakes when you make them.  If you made any glaring mistakes I didn't spot them, so you must have "CYA" down pretty good.  And yes, your tone was spot on.