Holding Guitar

SlowBlues

Blues Newbie
Hello friends !  What am I missing?  Where does it show how to ...."hold and play " the guitar in BBG?

As per the description of the course:
The best way to hold and play the guitar so that it’s easy. This is one thing that no one seems to talk about, and doing it wrong can add weeks or months to the learning process.

Have not been through the whole video yet, but I must have missed it!  :-/
Thanks

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Positioning the guitar is very much a personal taste thing in the main. If your seated then the curve of the guitar body would sit on your right thigh ( if right handed). The neck held at a slight upward angle. Most beginners actually lean over the neck whilst forming the first chords learned, this is ok because as you progress you'll straighten up.

If your standing then you'll need a guitar strap, and set this so the guitar is quite high up i.e. towards your head. This will help you get your left hand under the neck to form the chords.

Whilst the BBG may not have anything specific to stating how to set your position, you can take the visual aid of how Griff holds a guitar as pretty much a good stear, but if you wish to vary this position to get youself comfortable then do what is best for you.

Hope this helps a bit.

SlowBlues

Blues Newbie
Thanks Don, this helps a lot.  I have been stumming chords for a few years with the guitar placed on my right thigh; but now that I am picking notes as per the lessons, it just seems easier with the guitar on my left thigh.  The neck is also at a higher angle, almost like a classical position. Am I going to get myself in trouble down the road?

Russ

Blues Newbie
Not in the least. You are actually going to have an easier time with bar chords and some bass lines that will test your ability to stretch. Often times, the higher the neck is closer to your face, the easier your fret hand will adapt to new positions, chords and speeds. I understand your concern, but believe me, you're fine.

L

Lame_Pinkey

Getting the neck "up close " to you is very important however, where you place it on your knee when sitting is up to you - whatever is most comfortable to you will be your best bet !
I constantly shift my guitar from one leg to the other because the weight usually causes my leg to "fall asleep" , wearing a strap when sitting also makes thing more comfortable & aids in keeping a good position.

LP

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
LP's point about wearing the strap sitting as well as standing is what helped me to get really comfortable, it means the guitar is always in the same place too which can really help at first when finding the chord & note positions on the fretboard.

In my case it also got rid of a constant pain that developed in my strumming arm, I suspect that I was unconsciously holding the body of the guitar tight against my body to stop it slipping off my knee while trying to pick/strum at the same time! I did have my knee raised by the way :) but I guess not enough! :)

SlowBlues

Blues Newbie
Thanks LP and Ray !!  This has gotten interesting ! I have been lately wearing my strap as it helped hold and position it better ( as you said).  Also I sometimes raise up my foot on its toes to raise and lower the guitars position ( as you said).  I started using a purely classical position with a foot rest (stool) and no strap and now have evolved into this. Also,also, I just got an electric guitar for Christmas (thanks kids!) and have been using this positioning. The cord goes between my legs , and with the strap the guitar feels very light.   Maybe I am on to something ?  :)

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Sounds like you're finding your ideal position  [smiley=beer.gif]

By the way, watch out for that lead hanging down on the electric, most common trick is to feed the cable back through the strap so you don't trip on it.. don't want to damage that new guitar or worse!

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Sounds like you're finding your ideal position  [smiley=beer.gif]

By the way, watch out for that lead hanging down on the electric, most common trick is to feed the cable back through the strap so you don't trip on it.. don't want to damage that new guitar or worse!

It also keeps it from pulling out of the jack (or putting pressure on the jack) when you start jumping around on stage.  :cool:  I tend to run the other end of my cable through the handle of my amp before plugging it into the input jack too.

SlowBlues

Blues Newbie
Marv, that is good advice, thanks.  If I ever get on a stage; I will probably be falling off it.  Guitar, amp, an all !  :p

SlowBlues

Blues Newbie
FOUND IT !!  Found the answer to my original question on page 11 of "The Manual".  And it only took 5 months.  It is really helping going back to review and play the old lessions.   :)

giayank

Just another day in paradise
Slo - blu 5 months is chump change . I've been revisiting BGU for 4 yrs now and still seeing something for the first time . I guess that means i'm not brain dead yet just sloooow . :D