BGU questions and requests for Griff

richman

Blues Newbie
Hi Griff, I filled out the BGU feedback form, but realized that a couple of questions/requests I had may not get to you, so I'm going to paste them again here. But first, I'd like to say Thank You for putting together an awesome guitar course and for all of your follow-up lessons and ideas!  I am enjoying the course very much and feel that I am also learning a lot. Also, before I list the questions below, could you tell me what kind of guitar you're playing during your lessons on BGU? It looks very much like a Fender Strat, but I noticed that the name and headstock are different. Also, were you using a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue amp for some of the lessons? I've checked that amp out at our local music stores and really liked it. (I'm currently playing a Fender Strat through a Fender Blues Junior III and also like that quite a bit.) Here are the questions I was referring to above: I have 2 specific requests that I believe would make this program better.  First, I love the play-along Audio CD tracks! but if you ever re-mix them, can you please make the hi-hats clicks louder? I play them on my home stereo at low to medium volume and  can barely hear the count-in before the band starts!
Second, I would like to ask Griff something I know--from experience--that I could also ask most online guitar teachers: when you are teaching a new lick or a guitar solo, could you PLEASE just play the part or the section and/or the entire solo Very Slowly(as slowly as you can and still keep the feel I mean) a couple of times, at some point during your teaching of it? This would actually help me--and possibly many others--to learn it more effectively and faster. I do appreciate the fact that you don't 'overtalk' the parts as much as other virtual teachers I've heard, but some of the sections that you refer to as 'fairly easy' are not that easy for me, especially the parts with the full bends--I just started learning to bend strings a few months before I ordered your course.
Thanks Again!, Richard

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
You will need to use the PM function if you want to make sure Griff see's this.

henryj

Blues Newbie
Did you know you could copy the tune from the CDs and play them through any one of several available programs. 
I use the Amazing Slow Downer its free and simple.

With it you can slow down without loosing pitch.  You can also pick out sections to loop so you can work on a specific section, set a delay so  you can pick up your pick and get ready before the tune starts and other options.

The are several other software options in use by the fine people here.

panther

Blues Newbie
Henryj;
I have the Acoustic Blues Unleashed, and tried to copy jam tracks to a CD for the car or whatever. They transfer, but when I open the files, they are 0 KB/MB, some on the master disc, read 20KB, but the copy reads 40KB's
What's up ?
Dan

henryj

Blues Newbie
Panther

Beats me I hate computers. 

I haven't tried to copy ABGC yet so I'll try it now.

Ok,I just copied CD1 using Cyberlink Power2Go,  It copied and works fine.

richman

Blues Newbie
Hi Henryj!
I'm still kind of figuring out how to navigate the BGU forum...which is why I'm just now getting around to Thanking you for your suggestion. I'm going to check out the AmazingSlowdowner software you told me about, especially if it's free!  Do you know if it's available for both PC's and Macs?
With a link from one of Griff's lesson pages, I noticed that they're offering a 'free 10-day trial' for Riffmaster.  Had you checked that out, before using the Slowdowner software?
Thanks Again,
Riche

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I have not tried Slowdowner, but I use RiffMaster Pro and I know that Griff uses it too. loads of people here use it and find it worth the money. (YMMV)
I'll try to answer some of your other questions for Griff:

Guitar: It's a Suhr  www.suhr.com/

Griff's teaching method is very specific. Where he feels it's a benefit to the student, he will do a play through before the lesson, but those are rare because he has seen too many times where a student "hears" one thing and the lesson is in fact something else. Suggestion on slow down software are your best bet.

Amp used: In many of his lessons Griff doesn't actually use an amp at all. He has a device (don't remember what) that allows him to plug directly into his recording setup.

dmathews

Blues Newbie
Griff,

I bought the Strumming & Rhythm Mastery at BGU Live. You mentioned sending out a disk that completed the package. A disk arrived the other day labeled CD2. My package already contains a disk labeled CD2. I checked out both and they appear to be the same disk. Was this the disk I should have received?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Dick, there was apparently a file missing from the original disk. just replace the old disk 2 with the new one.