Guitar Sound

R

RealSlow

Why does my guitar not sound anything like the one in the vids?  I have a multi effects pedal and I'm twiddling all the knobs but the more I twiddle the worse it sounds.  I might not be playing the chords right either of course.  Very frustrating.

L

Lame_Pinkey

Any of  which vids ? What kind of amp do you have , SS or Tube ? What kind of guitar do you have, a decent guitar or a "Stratogeezer" special ?
(btw Stratogeezer is our resident "cheap-as-chips" guitar owner  ;D)

Your gear is probably a major cause but certain things like tone can be found in your hands & your hands alone.

LP    :cool:

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Multi effects can sometimes get you lost too, try going back to clean & then just make small adjustments, find what makes the effects you like. You'll gradually home in on the tone you're looking for... but it takes time :)

R

RealSlow

I think I need somebody to show me what all these buttons do.  I dont have an expensive guitar or amp....just a 2nd hand pair that dont seem to have a make and model on them.

samwell

been here.....
Yo RS, Still wondering "which vids" (per LP) & ditto the other variables above too  :cool:  "a pair of unidentified 2nd hand guitars/amps & a multi effects pedal" sorta' leaves it even wider open :eek:  Regardless, drop by regular....  [smiley=beer.gif]

henryj

Blues Newbie
He's probably got some old 50s model LP that someones dad gave him out of the celler.

If that's the case I'll try to work a trade up with him.

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
Any of  which vids ? What kind of amp do you have , SS or Tube ? What kind of guitar do you have, a decent guitar or [glow=yellow,2,300]a "Stratogeezer" special ?
(btw Stratogeezer is our resident "cheap-as-chips" guitar owner  ;D)[/glow]
Your gear is probably a major cause but certain things like tone can be found in your hands & your hands alone.

LP    :cool:

I own four Gibsons and also have two Fenders.
But for me my cheapass Squiers are the livin' end..ers.

They all sound great.

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
Keep playing with knobs... just not so much yet. Ray has a very good point. Start simple. Ditch the effects altogether and set up a good clean sound. Set your guitar knobs a little less than full on (around 8). Turn down the amp's Gain, set the Treble, Middle, and Bass at the midway point. Play for a few minutes, then change just one setting/knob and play a little more. Make small changes until your ears are happy. Then start adding in effects. Spring reverbs and short delays are good bets.

Don't worry too much about sounding like Griff in the video examples. In the end, you are going to sound like you. As LP said, most of your tone comes from your own hands. Good tone comes from much practicing.  [smiley=beer.gif]

R

RealSlow

Thanks to everybody for the advice and comments.  Things are a little better since I went back to basics as it were.  Cheers.