Miscellaneous Epi ProBuckers vs Gibby BurstBuckers

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Where's the TotallyMyOpinion and YMMV tags when you need them. :whistle:

I've said since I got it in 2020 that my Epi LP has become my main guitar, and I didn't feel the need to swap out the Probuckers in it. I stand by that statement, but I came across a screamin' deal on a pair of BurstBuckers a couple of weeks ago. Just so happens that the PBs are Epi's version of the BBs. My LP has a PB 1 & 2, and the BBs were also a 1 & 2 and not the usual 2 & 3. The Epi is the Standard 50s LP, and the pickups actually got pulled from a Gibson Standard 50s LP. I've always wanted to do a side by side of the PBs and the BBs, and all the circumstances just seemed to say to do it.

So I bit and bought the pair of BBs. Sorry, RR, I still want to try some of those BK pups, but the price of both of the BBs was less than the price of one of the BKs. I managed to catch the right guy on Reverb at the right time, and, like I said, it was a screamin' deal.

Did some simple chord and single note recordings of before and after the swap, and I've been comparing them. If I can figure out how to parse them together, I'll post them later on in this thread. I ran them through my Vox ToneLab that I use as an interface. I have a patch on there that is a Straight Line (direct to the board) option rather than an amp model and had all EQs on 10. In my tests, just to make everything fair, I had all the guitar knobs dimed. I even threw the Alnico Classic Pros into the mix as well (although they were still in my 335, so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison with that pair - it sounds like a 335). Here's what I decided.

In the quiet of my music room, my opinion is that the BBs are definitely the nicer set of pickups. They're just a little bit brighter to my ear, and that may be because they seem to be a touch more articulate on the high end. I believe that they are also a little bit hotter than the PBs. I initially thought that might be due to pickup height. I tried to get them the same height when I dropped them in, but I may've gotten the BBs a little closer to the strings. I lowered them a couple of turns, and that helped, but I still had to drop the volume in my DAW to get the signal low enough to not clip.

I think the PB1 that was originally in the neck was a little smoother sounding than the BB1. I'm going to play with the height of the BB and see if I can get it to sound like that PB did. I still think that the BB is clearer, more articulate, but smooth is the only word I can think of to describe the PB, and I really like it. If I can't get the BB to sound the same, I may actually swap that one back out. I'm thinking that, if I drop the pickup a little bit more and roll off the volume a tad, that may get it there.

The BB2 in the bridge is everything I think a LP bridge pickup should sound like. That one will stay in the guitar.

All in all, I could've been totally happy with the guitar and its original PBs. Honestly, out of the quiet of my music room and the differences may not be as readily noticeable. Dropped the BBs in, and overall I think they're better, but the BB1 may end up getting replaced by the PB1. Something about that one and its smoothness. It's actually what sold me on that guitar to begin with.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Very good stuff, snarf. I have an EPI 339 with Probuckers and a Gibby '61 SG.with Burstbuckers. Granted that one is a semi-hollow and the other not, but the differences in sound are still just as you describe. Both sets are excellent pickups. Neither set is going anywhere, both will stay in the guitars. But to my ear, all things considered, the BK Mules in my "lowly" Chinese guitar trounce both of those.

But that's just my ear. If anything is subjective, it is the way different people perceive the sound of pickups.

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I have the gibbys, and I have had the Epiphone.

My Lp standard, I switched the pick ups out after years to Porter h90, humbucking sized p90. Everything was much clearer, and as you said, articulation. To be fair, I also changed out the wiring to all nicer shielded wiring, Orange caps, CTS pots, switchcraft selector, roller bridge and a much nicer jack, plus I shielded the snot out of everything..................so the new pick ups got the best of everything

My new 1959 reissue came with the Gibbys, CTS pots already, 59 wiring, I think it is Mallory caps.

I am loving the Gibsons, and hating them................I refer to them as cold hearted bi%&hes. The Epiphone pick ups, if you made a mistake, it kind of blurred and covered it up, the Gibsons, they mock you and laugh at you and let you know you did things wrong..............................but when you get things correct, my Lord, the sound is sweet.

Of course the wood and everything together comes into play................best of all, I have found that small volume knob adjustments really make a difference on the Gibson pick ups, many times, I dont even touch the pedal, just the volume knob now

Last edited: