What motivates you to play guitar

MarcV

Blues Junior
-Retiree as well and can fill up major chunks of time playing the guitar.
-As someone who is rhythmically challenged the thrill of working on something and getting it right or even close to right is very satisfying.
-Also multiple studies showing that active participation in music is one of the best things there is for brain health (along with learning new language but not about to do that).
-Playing with other people and getting something to sound even half way decent is hugely satisfying

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Some of it is ego I'm sure, but when you connect with an audience and their into what you're doing it's magical. Then there's the whole sonic thing. Sometimes you can hit just one note just one freaking note, and it sets off that tuning fork in your loins. Better than drugs, almost better than sex.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Too stubborn to give up. Wanted to play my whole life, don’t think I’ll ever be a guitar player, but I’m going to keep trying.

Too stubborn to give up That's a good thing.
Wanted to play my whole life That's a good thing
don’t think I’ll ever be a guitar player As long as you believe this, it is likely to be a self fulfilling prophecy
but I’m going to keep trying. Yes Sir

So maybe start with I am a guitar player and here are the things I can do, set goals and timelines on what you want to do and then follow the steps.

Don't concern your self with where you are, but rather am I doing the necessary actions (lessons), to get to where I want to be.

Like any other project, building a house, rebuilding an engine I need

1) Risk assessment of the project. ( what are the goods and bads of doing this, and what can get in the way of doing it, and how do I mitigate those risks)?
1) Education on how to do it right.
1) Necessary materials
1) A realistic timeline
1) Intense desire and motivation
1) Review of the project. Where am I now? Record yourself every week and listen back, your progress cannot impress you if you cannot witness it.

There are differing opinions on this one and I got this one from Steve Vai.

" I never focused on improving my weaknesses, I always focused on improving my strengths".

I take that to mean That's not to say don't try to improve your weaknesses , but you may be better served to focus on your strengths.

Good luck on your journey. Finding Griff and the people in this forum can prove to be a godsend, if you allow it to be.

And most of all HAVE FUN WITH IT BABY!

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Too stubborn to give up That's a good thing.
Wanted to play my whole life That's a good thing
don’t think I’ll ever be a guitar player As long as you believe this, it is likely to be a self fulfilling prophecy
but I’m going to keep trying. Yes Sir

So maybe start with I am a guitar player and here are the things I can do, set goals and timelines on what you want to do and then follow the steps.

Don't concern your self with where you are, but rather am I doing the necessary actions (lessons), to get to where I want to be.

Like any other project, building a house, rebuilding an engine I need

1) Risk assessment of the project. ( what are the goods and bads of doing this, and what can get in the way of doing it, and how do I mitigate those risks)?
1) Education on how to do it right.
1) Necessary materials
1) A realistic timeline
1) Intense desire and motivation
1) Review of the project. Where am I now? Record yourself every week and listen back, your progress cannot impress you if you cannot witness it.

There are differing opinions on this one and I got this one from Steve Vai.

" I never focused on improving my weaknesses, I always focused on improving my strengths".

I take that to mean That's not to say don't try to improve your weaknesses , but you may be better served to focus on your strengths.

Good luck on your journey. Finding Griff and the people in this forum can prove to be a godsend, if you allow it to be.

And most of all HAVE FUN WITH IT BABY!

A bit "corporate", but good advice nonetheless.
(although I'd bet my house that Hendrix never employed a "risk assessment" protocol). :ROFLMAO::LOL::D

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Something else that motivates me: goals. When I was playing open mics (before Covid) knowing I was getting up on stage every week was powerful motivation, not only to practice the songs on my list for the week but also to add new ones. Right now I'm also involved with a fun project online with a friend and wanting that to succeed motivates me to pick up the guitar when I might just let it slide.

There's a difference between having goals to meet, and making playing seem like work. I hope always to stay on the right side of that divide. :Beer:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Something else that motivates me: goals. When I was playing open mics (before Covid) knowing I was getting up on stage every week was powerful motivation, not only to practice the songs on my list for the week but also to add new ones. Right now I'm also involved with a fun project online with a friend and wanting that to succeed motivates me to pick up the guitar when I might just let it slide.

There's a difference between having goals to meet, and making playing seem like work. I hope always to stay on the right side of that divide. :Beer:

And for you that works, but goals can differ greatly.

For example the thing I would love is to play lead or co-lead in a jam band (think Phish or ABB) but with a bit of a Jazz Fusion edge.

Different strokes, right? (y)

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
The girls, the parties, and the big money. None of that has happened yet, but that's the goal.
A bit "corporate", but good advice nonetheless.
(although I'd bet my house that Hendrix never employed a "risk assessment" protocol). :ROFLMAO::LOL::D
Hmm. Once a Business Analyst/ Project Manager, what can I say, other than my wife is a saint. (y).

As for Hendrix pretty sure he had a scope meeting with Chas Chanlder before leaving for England where they identified the objective
"Meet Eric Clapton" ;)

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom

And that difference is all between the ears baby. It's only work if you make it that way.

There's more than one way to kiss a pig. Or somethin like that. :ROFLMAO: