I’m not digging my rig

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I'm really digging my new rig! ...Boss Katana Mkll. I agree with all of the above replies and think they're great answers.
I once owned the Mustang GTX - for about 2 hours, then returned it. Not because of the sound (didn't get that far), but because when I did the required software upgrade, it screwed up the pedal and it was pretty uncontrollable. I just couldn't trust it.
Fast forward a few years and I decided to give the Katana (and more software!) a try. I heard good things about it, and I'm not disappointed. It's very versatile, which is what I wanted. But it's really not my "bedroom rig." I'm trying to use it a little more for recording, but 90% of the time I just use "GarageBand" on my Mac with headphones as my most-of-the-time rig. I don't like playing through an amp's speaker in the house...the occupants are not fans!

Elio

Student Of The Blues
You were right on the money. Had to move away from the factory stuff and make my own. I think I can make this work for a while. Thanks!

It's funny, but every modeling amp I have tried has had the same problem with respect to the factory presets. Occasionally, I find some user-submitted presets that work well but I usually have to do some tweaking, although they can get me into the right ballpark.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
You were right on the money. Had to move away from the factory stuff and make my own. I think I can make this work for a while. Thanks!
I am not familiar with the GTX. My Mustang III advanced settings have a sag control and a noise gate. Both contribute to my four favorite home-made presets. The Mustangs all have EXCELLENT high-efficiency speakers in them, so no need for speaker emulation. The sag control is more about the feel of the amp than tone.

I am also a born-again (adamant) pedals guy and don't use any of the internal effects or overdrive (except a little reverb).

Elio

Student Of The Blues

A few years ago and when I was using my Fender G-Dec, I was working on learning the Santana version of Black Magic Woman and was looking for a good Santana tone. One of the user-submitted presets just nailed the tone amazingly well. When I switched to my Spark amp, I had hoped to find a similar submission, but I really didn't like the sound of any of them. I ended up deconstructing the G-DEC preset and then re-created it on the Spark. The result wasn't exact but it came close enough to make me happy with it. Modeling amps do have a lot of options, but I would argue that for a specialized tone it is by necessity. As much as I like my tube amps, trying to achieve that tone with just what I have to work with would have been a much bigger challenge.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Fair. At my level I just found myself paralyzed by so many choices and no apparent way to filter the flood. I reckon if I knew more of exactly what I was looking for that would help a great deal.

EJG

Central NJ
I have a Mustang (forget which model but it’s the small one). My problem with it is that I can’t get the software to run on my Mac. While I *was* using it, I ran into the paralysis by analysis trap in dealing with so many presets.

I eventually quit using it. My current rig is just a TS-9 into a Quilter Aviator Cub, set on the tweed channel. I’m pretty happy with it; the Quilter, at 20 lbs, has replaced my 40 lb DRRI. For years I never thought any amp would do that.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
for a bedroom gigging setup I use the Headrush Gigboard (simple and quiet with headphones)...with its tons of presets, I'm still tweaking a basic BFSR, Marshall Plexi, and Boogie settings...got to get rid of some of the more "extreme" settings and go from there...also working on an "acoustic" setting ...sometimes less is more...later.

cowboy

EJG

Central NJ
I should have mentioned that I don’t have/need a true “bedroom” rig. I play in my basement and it’s soundproofed well enough that volume is never really a problem for me. On the rare occasion when I need to play thru headphones, I pull out my old Traveller guitar with the stethoscope headphones for acoustic tones or use my old iRig for electric tones.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
My 2 cents as a casual observer:

My personal preference is to start with a good tube amp and add effects pedals to achieve my tone.
I've sold all my modeling amps and amp simulators.

Having said that, I've watched a few vids on that amp and It seems to me it's a pretty good amp, that can take you from home practice to jams & gigs.

The #1 problem I see with it is............TOO MANY OPTIONS!
That's one of the reasons I dislike all the simulators.

My recommendation is, pick a single amp model, like a Fender Twin and then select a few basic effect such as one O/D Delay and or Reverb.
Save that present and learn how to adjust the amp & effects settings to make tones that sound like the blues tones you are seeking.

Don't forget to learn how to use the pickup selector, volume & tone controls on the guitar.

That's It!

Treat that thing like it's one particular style amp until you nail your tone and have confidence in your adjustments.
Don't change amps, effects, or any other parameters other than the basic volume, & tone controls.

Between pickups selection, volume & tone on the guitar and the tone control on the amp you'll have enough to keep you busy for a long time.
When you add an O/D you'll have all you need to refine a great blues tone.

PREACH!!! :Beer:

artyman

Fareham UK
I bought a Mustang III some years ago, and I agree, a lot of the preloaded presets are awful, they have been mostly replaced as I'm not into massive distortion. I set up some tones I needed and left it at that. I bought a Katana 50 a few of years ago, mainly as it was 2/3 weight of the Mustang (getting old) it doesn't have the 100 presets of the Mustang but I've set it up with the four tones that I use for gigging, and have the option for many more in the Librarian app or the Boss Tone Studio should I wish to have a change. I find the Katana is easier to tweak, and has a 1/2 watt setting for marital harmony.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
You like what you like. It is possible that you will purchase one of each amplifier and pedal to determine what that may be. Knowing what someone's expectations are is not an easy task. People state that you must use the same guitar, amplifier, pedals, and settings as your favorite performer, to exactly duplicate that magic sound you expect.

Personally, I have had a number of amplifiers. VOX, Marshall, and the list goes on. My Fender Mustang had so many different voices. You could spend all day playing with the software. Then you had better write down what sound was available! I never did memorize the choices. Perhaps Prevagen would have helped?

Now here is a different take on which amplifier to choose!

Do you want to protect the environment?

Do not use a tube amplifier!

They cause additional heating, thus contributing to global warming, and use more electricity. Then there is the cost of replacement of the tubes, which is a subject onto itself.

Choose your amplifier upon your likes!

When I purchased my Fender some years ago, I saw the Orange Amplifiers, and really liked what I saw. The color made me happy! Now I own an Orange Amp and I love it! It is ideal for my use at home. It does the job and it does it well. I enjoy plugging in my electric guitar, tuning on the amp and playing the guitar. I am not worried about who I sound like, as long as I am happy!

This plan will not help the world economy, but it will allow you to have more time to yourself and enjoy playing your instrument.

Tom

Reactions: EJG

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Hi Blues Friends! Just curious what others are using as a simple bedroom blues rig. I have a Fender Mustang GTX 50 and I’m just not sure I’m digging it. Hard for me to choose an amp model that I’m really loving. Thinking maybe there are just too many options. I bought it because of the ability to control the volume at bedroom levels and that it has many pedal options I could try without spending a ton of money. It has some features that sound like outer space and I’ll never use them. Anyone else out there using this amp? What settings and amp model? If not maybe tell me what is a better alternative if I decide on something else. I play a fender custom strat and a Gibson ES 335. Love to hear your thoughts!
If I don't have an acceptable tone I will not play well BUT
If I had spent half as much time practicing as I did obsessing over tone I would be a far better player. Don't spend too much time on it. Find something that gets you close and practice practice practice. You're playing and your technique will have far more influence on your overall sound than tweaking your tone. And have fun with it baby.

Last edited:

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Same thing applies to multi effects in my book also. I turn off all amp modals and cab sims and just use the pedals. I have the amp i want in my Mustang lll .I run through all the presets and Anything that sounds remotely like thrash metal gets deleted right off the top. I try to think of songs that I might need the preset for such as something that has a dotted 8th is saved because of U2 sound and so on. The ones I delete just gives me room to develop my own if needed.

Last edited: