$1,000,000 Hill fast forwarded 52 years

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
"Million dollar hill" was a nick-name for "LZ Central"---it got that name from the 3 Huey HC helicopters that had been shot down trying to land there. Price $300,000 dollars a piece-----FAST FORWARD 52 years.

I got the bill for what it cost for them to fly Sharon to the hospital in Phoenix--(as a crow flies approx 85 to 90 miles). Fasten your seat belts:whistle: $78,480.00. and the bill for 12 days in ICU---$131,200--
and that don't include Ex rays---Doctors--MIRs---and all that other stuff.
As for Blue Cross Blue shield they pay MAYBE .005% If it were not for her having "Medicare B" we would be bankrupt right now.

Well I thought that was pretty high price for a helicopter ride, so I googled how much one of those machines cost. Fasten your seat belts again. $3,000,000 to $6,000,000. So I guess I got a deal.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I pray for Sharon every day, that she fully recovers, and all goes well for you :)

I lost too many friends who were on helicopters. At AMPEX, the leadman (Dennis) of our department was a Navy Medic, on a helicopter, stationed in Vietnam. :cry: He had many stories, and thank God, he had a great sense of humor, and a very mild disposition. (y):)

Tom

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
First, It's a shame that this medical emergency conjures up your battle memories but, I suspect they actually never really leave you.

I hate to say it but..
The cynic that I am, whenever I see a news story about Life Flight emergencies, I feel so badly for the victims.

The victims of the tragic medical situation and victims of the ridiculous cost of the flight and the outrageous rip-off pricing in our healthcare system.
It's not as bad but, the cost of a simple ambulance ride is also staggering.

It blows my mind when I see any statement of charges.
It usually looks like this:

Procedure XYZ = $10,000
Medicare price = $1,500
My share (80%) = $300
Plan B coverage =$300
Amount due = 0

Thank God for Medicare and plan B.

I always wonder....who's paying $10,000?

Bottom line...
Hope it don't impact you too badly and more importantly Sharon is continuing her recovery.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
The 40 minute flight was $74,800----the rest of the cost was for maintenance--on board care (EMT)----life support equipment--and I guess piolet and co-piolet and insurance---which I would imagine is pretty darned high.
The only reason I put the 3 helicopter thing in there was to compare the price of a helicopter 50 years ago, to todays price of one.
A law was passed sometime ago that once you reach age 67, the biller has to accept whatever your insurance an Medicare pays so like you it cost me "0"; (although I did get another bill saying I owed $2300).. Either way $78,000 or $2300 the ride was worth it and I ain't bitchin" she is making a remarkable recovery.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
The 40 minute flight was $74,800----the rest of the cost was for maintenance--on board care (EMT)----life support equipment--and I guess piolet and co-piolet and insurance---which I would imagine is pretty darned high.
The only reason I put the 3 helicopter thing in there was to compare the price of a helicopter 50 years ago, to todays price of one.
A law was passed sometime ago that once you reach age 67, the biller has to accept whatever your insurance an Medicare pays so like you it cost me "0"; (although I did get another bill saying I owed $2300).. Either way $78,000 or $2300 the ride was worth it and I ain't bitchin" she is making a remarkable recovery.

all the $$ aside, I'm glad to hear that she is doing well.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
You are 100% right there Mickey-
Mike thanks: I can tell she is recovering, she's back to her old SASSY self ways. Even tells me how to load the dishwasher HER way.:LOL: (like I have never loaded a dishwasher before) :ROFLMAO: but the truth of the matter is "My" way is better than hers. :)

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've always wanted to take a ride in a helicopter. Just not in either of the fashions that you mention.

So glad to hear that your wife is on the mend. Like you said, all things considered, that's the most important thing.

WilliamEnright

Blues Junior
Best wishes to your wife and you mate. We resupply the two local air ambulance choppers with blood daily to keep them topped up. Crews are all amazing cool types doing emergency response and saving lives. All out of the tax £ here too.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
When I was visiting her in Phoenix they had a outdoor dining area, I would go out and eat a snack, the amount of Air Ambulances coming in was "Crazy" is the only word I can use to describe it. If you can. vision the beginning of the T.V. show MASH. Every time one flew in all I could think was "somebody -somewhere-some family is having a bad day"
I think they are great ---I can't even imagine how many lives that have been saved by there use..