Superstitious ?

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Does anyone have any little quirks of superstition ?

I know we all talk about mojo, some serious, some abstract..............but, anyone got things that go beyond that ?

Like me, I don't let normal people touch my guitars. It's not about worry or anything, I just gives me an ill feeling.
Now, the guys at the blues jams, all day they can play what ever I own, that gives me a positive feeling, other people not so much.

I let the know it all A-hole up the street play my absolute go to , I love this thing Ibanez S670 2 days ago, then put it away. Pulled it out this morning and there is like a dark cloud over the fretboard, nothing worked, it didn't feel correct. I put it away, grabbed an LP and things were good again.

I think he put the bad juju on my fretboard.

Yes I know, I must be losing it as I grow older

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues

I know we all talk about mojo, some serious, some abstract..............but, anyone got things that go beyond that ?

Like me, I don't let normal people touch my guitars. It's not about worry or anything, I just gives me an ill feeling.
Now, the guys at the blues jams, all day they can play what ever I own, that gives me a positive feeling, other people not so much.

I let the know it all A-hole up the street play my absolute go to , I love this thing Ibanez S670 2 days ago, then put it away. Pulled it out this morning and there is like a dark cloud over the fretboard, nothing worked, it didn't feel correct. I put it away, grabbed an LP and things were good again.

Well, everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer! :Beer:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Yes I can see how that can be

Suggestion --

Take the strings off said guitar - give it a thoroughly good cleaning and polish and such and taking to the guitar telling it that it will soon again play like a champ

might work - might not

but why not?

Happy Playing

Peace
The wife is already starting to get concerned about the way I talk to my guitars.................she is starting to worry it is a sister wife siituation

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
No guitar superstitions.

The only superstition I have is for golf in that I have to have three regular quarters in my left pocket when I begin my round.

I use them to mark my ball on the green and if I am putting for a birdie or better, I mark the ball with the quarter's eagle "flying" towards the hole.
If it's for par or worse, then Washington's head is facing the hole hopefully signifying a "head's up" stroke.

Other than that I'm pretty normal.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
No guitar superstitions.

The only superstition I have is for golf in that I have to have three regular quarters in my left pocket when I begin my round.

I use them to mark my ball on the green and if I am putting for a birdie or better, I mark the ball with the quarter's eagle "flying" towards the hole.
If it's for par or worse, then Washington's head is facing the hole hopefully signifying a "head's up" stroke.

cant mess with juju............if it works, it works

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
No music superstitions, but I've had my share in other areas.

I did some sabre fencing for a few years. In tournaments, I had my tournament pair of socks. Only wore them in tournaments, but I had to wear them in every tournament. First tournament I fenced in I came in 27th. Out of 27. Didn't win a single bout. At the end of the day, I had been outfenced something like 47-3. The person in 26th place had been outfenced something like 34-16. I was 13 points behind the next closest person. I also didn't have my lucky socks at that point. The next tournament I came in 3rd. It couldn't have been because I spent the months between the two tournaments working hard and drilling fundamentals over and over and over for the sole purpose of not coming in dead last by a long shot the next time I entered a tournament. It was the pair of Captain America socks that Mrs Snarf bought me as a joke that I had been wearing. So every tournament after that, guess what socks I had on.

Now days I try to get out and go hiking at least a couple of times a month at some of the local parks or state parks around. I have a bandana that I got at one of the national parks in CA (I think - I remember it was one of the desert parks, so maybe AZ). Before I head out I bury it in the bottom of one of the pockets of my daypack. In fact, I carry another bandana that, when I need one for something, is the one I grab. Never actually used this one, but it has to be in my gear when I go out. The print on it says, "Don't die today. Hike safely." I haven't had anything that would fall under safety or medical happen to me since I bought it and first stuffed it in my pack. Not even a blister on a toe. Trying to be safe, trying to hike smart, and carefully planning long hikes in the middle of a brutal TX summer doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I haven't had any problems on trail. It all comes back to that bandana that reminds me not to die today, right? So it always gets folded just so and then stuffed into that same pocket that it has always gotten shoved into. That bandana has hiked, literally, hundreds of miles with me, and I imagine it'll go hundreds more.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I single handedly won the World Series for the Braves in '96, I never win at sports betting, so every clutch game I bet my second mistake a dollar they were going to lose and they always won, did they give me any credit, hell no! So this time around they had to do it all on their on!!!!

WilliamEnright

Blues Junior
I find if i check everything on the bike twice before riding I get lucky all day. Guitars i check everything twice and still crash but its is such fun i keep going.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

I think I'm with @Grateful_Ed on this one. No superstitions, so have a beer (or a Bourbon)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
No guitar superstitions.

Other than THAT?!!! Isn't that enough?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Superstitions no, regular habits yes.
I used to play hockey (Goalie), so I had a bit of a routine on a game day.
On a game day...
I packed my bag the same way every day (more so that I didn't forget anything... I did ONCE forget my skates)
I DID get suited up the same way EVERY game. I didn't see this as superstitious. It was more so that I didn't forget to put on my jock.
I liked to get a nap in whenever possible,
eat light
listen to good rocking music on the way to the rink.
I tried NOT to do anything that would take my focus away from the game. (Argue with the wife, kids...)

Elio

Student Of The Blues

I remember you handing me one of your guitars to play at a jam once, so the comment about not letting normal people touch your guitars had me slightly concerned :cool: But here's a more expert opinion on bad juju...

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Ok, just one more word on the subject... BTW, the full video of this concert is great. Rod Stewart came out on stage and completely surprised Jeff Beck during a song.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I remember you handing me one of your guitars to play at a jam once, so the comment about not letting normal people touch your guitars had me slightly concerned :cool: But here's a more expert opinion on bad juju...

See, with you, I knew there would be positive vibes secreted into the wood