Youtube copy rights

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
So I just posted on my Channel and only noticed this time that it had "Copyright Claim" next to it . Wondered why and started thinking about it and the issues Griff has said about it and went back and checked other recordings I've posted and sure enough I have others ,some from a couple years ago with the same thing..Do I need to yank them off or not worry. It's not like I'm going to get a huge following and make lots of money.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
That usually means they've found copyrighted melody or lyrics in your video and the copyright owner will get any ad revenue, not you. Look on the "details" of the video, hover over the Restrictions box and click SEE DETAILS. That will show what the impact on your video is (usually none) and who is claiming it (usually a music publisher in Brazil). It's not the same as a copyright strike and you don't need to take the video down.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
What Doug said.
Here is the details screen of a tune I have on my page where a copyright claim has been lodged. I have quite a few because I have posts from several open mics and blues jams.
Unless you are trying to monetize your channel, this claim is no big deal.
Youtube-copyright.jpg

Reactions: dvs

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Yep. Nearly all of my youtube videos are like that. At this point I almost feel insulted if I do a cover song and I don't get a copyright claim.
Funny, somewhat on-topic... I covered The Beatles "You Can't Do That" for one of the monthly challenges.
My first recording was same key as the original fab four recording. Got a copyright claim on it.
Redid the recording, transposed the recording down two semitones because the original key was too high for me to sing. No copyright claim.

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
These music publishing companies have nothing better to do these days, they steal artists blind and then think its worth their time to hassle people like us who play for little to nothing in coffee houses or post things online just to share with the world for free. We promote artists music where it's not worth their time to perform and it's not them complaining, it's the publishers who have the rights to their music.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
awwww hell, I got one of my videos held on that because of copywright, had to argue for a week, I wrote the dang song

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I did a cover of I Believe In Father Christmas where I created a full animated video for it. Used MIDI instruments and my own vocals. It was a Christmas card to family and friends. I thought I'd link it from my web site to make it easier to send around but, when I inquired about the legalities, was told I'd have to pay $1000 a year for the "performance rights."

Um, no. I just emailed DropBox links.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Funny, somewhat on-topic... I covered The Beatles "You Can't Do That" for one of the monthly challenges.
My first recording was same key as the original fab four recording. Got a copyright claim on it.
Redid the recording, transposed the recording down two semitones because the original key was too high for me to sing. No copyright claim.
They probably use software to search for it, so a key change might trip them up

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I get it, and I dont get it. I mean, with streaming music, artists arnt making the big bucks anymore. Yes they do when people buy the song, but we all know the new generation likes the streaming. People can make the argument, well radio was kind of a streaming. True, but, now people have their cell phones, and you no longer have to wait for a station to play a song, you just search it.................so I get all that.

But, lets be real, Bob Seeger is not exactly topping the charts these days, yet, his management wont allow tabs online for his music. To me this is stupid, some 14 year old hears a song, thinks its kinda cool, goes to learn to play it, and may seek out more of his music. Most "Tribute" bands are bands playing music from artists past their prime, so same thing.

I get not being able to get advertisement money, that makes sense, but closing peoples youtube accounts because they taught a song, or tried playing themselves is just ridiculous.

Good thing, a lot of artists dont seem to mind, look at how many teach Sweet Home Alabama

Jack

Blues Junior
I get that on almost all my videos. For some artists, like Hendrix and the Eagles, they block the video worldwide so I put it on Dropbox instead. Usually the copyright claim just forbids you from monetizing the video (my channel isn't monetized anyway) or once in a while I've seen them say the publisher may run ad's during my video. Meh, whatever.