Pedals/Effects EP Booster

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Just picked up an Exotic Boost pedal.

I haven't set up anything yet but I was reading the manual which tells me that I can run the pedal at 9v up to 18v.

I have both 9v & 18v taps available on my One Spot and I'm curious as to why I might choose one over the other?

Is there an advantage to running at 18v and if so, why?

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Some of the amp sim pedals run on 18v to increase headroom, but I don't know if an echo plex type pedal would see a similar benefit. Those EP's are awfully popular these days and I've been debating getting one for a year. Instead my minor Christmas gear splurge was the xotic sp compressor pedal which I'm really enjoying.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Yes, headroom is what they say but I'm not sure what that would sound like. Maybe, JP, you can try it and let us know!

I have been using mine "always on" at the minimum setting (knob all the way CCW) which with the factory settings is a +3db boost. That can be changed with an internal DIP switch to unity gain, which if I remember right is the way RR uses his. I've tried both and I'm happier with the small boost. I imagine that in either of these situations the additional headroom would be hard to notice. But the pedal can give a +20db boost, so if you're running it up in that range I guess it might be worthwhile to use the higher voltage.

Last edited:

Stinger22

Blues Junior
Just picked up an Exotic Boost pedal.

I haven't set up anything yet but I was reading the manual which tells me that I can run the pedal at 9v up to 18v.

I have both 9v & 18v taps available on my One Spot and I'm curious as to why I might choose one over the other?

Is there an advantage to running at 18v and if so, why?

Had one for years, end of chain always on gain at about 9 o'clock. Run at 18v for all the reasons listed above.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I run mine at 18V for max headroom. It does make a difference. y I have one on both of my boards ... compact board and mini board. Both using voltage doublers to run the EP at 18V. Both are always-on pedals. You should hear them running in tandem, both on. WOW. I have them both last in the chain.

Last edited:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Ok, all good info and thanks to all who answered, but I have one more question.

Before I start tearing apart my pedalboard, do I run the EP at the beginning or end of the chain.
I run an FX loop (EQ, Chorus, Delay, Reverb) and I run all my distortion, fuzz and overdrive directly into the preamp.

So where's the best place for the EP?

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler

Before I start tearing apart my pedalboard, do I run the EP at the beginning or end of the chain.
I run an FX loop (EQ, Chorus, Delay, Reverb) and I run all my distortion, fuzz and overdrive directly into the preamp.

I would put it last in the chain going into your preamp. That's where your tone needs to be "warmed up", and that will carry through to everything in your effects loop.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Last. But have another boost or EQ pedal near the beginning.

Thus sayeth me, anyway.

Last edited:

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
normally if there is such a thing first drive pedal in the chain mainly used as an always on pedal, but as with any boost it depends what you want from it,,,from last inline of the drive pedals to being in the effects loop for volume boost

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
The EP booster is most effective if used to simply impart the warmth of its emulated Echoplex circuitry to your tone ... not to boost the volume. To do that, run it last in your chain with its level control set low, so low that you don't even notice a change in volume when swtiching it on or off. If you want a boost to increase volume or to drive your OD pedals into more distortion, get a 2nd booster (any kind will do) for that.

Stinger22

Blues Junior

That is totally up to your taste. Most single use I believe is at the end and where I have mine but have been gassing to get a second to run at a higher gain setting so I have both options. I saw a YouTube or something by some known player years ago who ran two of them one at the end set to low gain and one used as a drive pedal early in the chain.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
OK, so I've played around with the EP Boost for a while (set to 18v) and I think I like it at the beginning of the chain.

When I first placed it at the end of the chain I certainly noticed the boost in volume but much more so in tone.
I tried stacking pedals (I like to stack my DS-1 with my BD-2 for a real "growly-bluesy" tone and it sounded OK but somewhat muddy.

So I switched the EP to the front and suddenly those two pedals really came alive!
I normally have a Compressor as my first pedal in that chain but I'm experiencing a noise/buzz issue with it and I removed it and now the EP is the first pedal (after the tuner). I notice the same buzz with the EP as well so I'm guessing it's a local wiring thing coming from either the OneSpot or a patch cable. :(

I'll look into the wiring and I'm sure I'll sort things out.

But overall I think I'm really going to like this EP Boost! :thumbup:
I tried it at zero but it seemed a bit muddy and past 12 o'clock seems a bit spiky and I haven't played with any of the dip switches --- yet.
Its sweet spot for me seems to be right around 10 o'clock and it sounds beautiful! :love:

I can really notice the difference when I turn it off so I think this may be another "always on" pedal.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
OK, so I've played around with the EP Boost for a while (set to 18v) and I think I like it at the beginning of the chain.

When I first placed it at the end of the chain I certainly noticed the boost in volume but much more so in tone.
I tried stacking pedals (I like to stack my DS-1 with my BD-2 for a real "growly-bluesy" tone and it sounded OK but somewhat muddy.

So I switched the EP to the front and suddenly those two pedals really came alive!
I normally have a Compressor as my first pedal in that chain but I'm experiencing a noise/buzz issue with it and I removed it and now the EP is the first pedal (after the tuner). I notice the same buzz with the EP as well so I'm guessing it's a local wiring thing coming from either the OneSpot or a patch cable. :(

I tried it at zero but it seemed a bit muddy and past 12 o'clock seems a bit spiky and I haven't played with any of the dip switches --- yet.
Its sweet spot for me seems to be right around 10 o'clock and it sounds beautiful! :love:

I can really notice the difference when I turn it off so I think this may be another "always on" pedal.
Did you play with its internal DIP switches?

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along

:) , i thought it might be , re my post