January 2022 Challenge - Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young +

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
OK boys and girls, another dose of "Buffalo Springfield"

Here's poop on this one:
While watching YTubes to learn For What It's Worth, I watched an old TV show where they played two songs.

Quite frankly, don't even recall ever hearing this one...well, maybe I did and my brain fog wiped it away.

Anyhow, I thought it would be rather easy and I'd punch out a quick version....ha ha. :ROFLMAO:
Those guys have lots of guitar parts.:eek: and I don't have the Neil Young voice like @MikeS .

I tried to program the drums and then I had a brilliant idea to use one of those AI tools to separate the drums from the original.
That really came out bad.:rolleyes:

Long story, short, I decided to use the drum track and because it was so nasty, I just nastied up everything else.
It turned out sounding like an old worn out vinyl.

Here's "Mr.Soul"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lg27fjs1l042n4z/01 - Captain Moto - Mr. Soul(2).mp3?dl=0

Sounds great! You should give the unplugged version a shot, Drop D tuning tuned down a full step

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues

Here's poop on this one:
While watching YTubes to learn For What It's Worth, I watched an old TV show where they played two songs.

Quite frankly, don't even recall ever hearing this one...well, maybe I did and my brain fog wiped it away.

Anyhow, I thought it would be rather easy and I'd punch out a quick version....ha ha. :ROFLMAO:
Those guys have lots of guitar parts.:eek: and I don't have the Neil Young voice like @MikeS .

I tried to program the drums and then I had a brilliant idea to use one of those AI tools to separate the drums from the original.

Long story, short, I decided to use the drum track and because it was so nasty, I just nastied up everything else.

Here's "Mr.Soul"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lg27fjs1l042n4z/01 - Captain Moto - Mr. Soul(2).mp3?dl=0

Kenny Wayne Shepherd covered this on one of his recent albums. Great job on your version Capt.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I've been looking at one of those DSM&H Simplifiers... you're not helping o_O

I really dug the drum programming too, I think it sounded very natural.

It might be my smaller speakers here at this computer, but I could have stood just a hair more reverb, especially on the guitar with tremolo.
Thanks Griff for the comments! Much appreciated. I probably ought to try my mixes more often on a few different speakers. My ear (or brain) is still figuring out how all this goes together, thanks for the advice.

Glad I could be un-helpful with the Simplifier. It replaced a Sansamp Blonde on my board. Like the Sansamp, it has a low current draw compared to most of the more popular digital amp-sim options. Unlike the Sansamp, the Simplifier has an amazing amount of I/O options in a very small package. I like having an effects loop and it also adds a headphone output to my pedalboard, which I didn't have before.

Last edited:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues

Here's poop on this one:

Here's "Mr.Soul"

Groovy! And totally worthy of that photo you posted a few days ago. :thumbup::thumbup:

Caboburt

No Bad Days

Here's poop on this one:

Here's "Mr.Soul"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdnu178mk3cw3mc/Mr. Soul IV.mp3?dl=0

That was great. Loved the different guitar parts and your voice made the song your own.

Elwood

Blues
Another great job Moto! :Beer: I think this time your guitars took the forefront,(y)(y)(y) it is sure all very, very good though!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
That's great you guys are dredging up Buffalo Springfield tunes!!! :D

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Eye opener at 6:00 AM?
I actually got up at 4 AM but we had company, so I drank 5 cups of coffee waiting to move around.

By the way---the poll for your NEW ALBUM picture was tied at 50 to 50 but I had to count the last MAIL IN VOTE--DOUGS: so that makes it OFFICIAL-- you got to change---SORRY--. the decision IS NOT DEBATEABLE or QUESTIONABLE nor RECOUNTABLE. We will be expecting your New Avatar by no later than Jan. 21st:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Elwood

Blues
This is one of those where you need the "Like this one whole helluva lot" buttons!!! That like it button doesn't say enough!
Really enjoyable...:Beer::Beer::Beer:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I checked it out earlier....I have to say, I'm not impressed.
Great guitar work, as you would expect from KWS but, I was expecting some really great vocals.

When I first saw the Buffalo Springfield vid , I can't say I really liked that either, :unsure: just thought it would be fun to try.
Maybe I'm overdosed on it after recording and mixing my version:rolleyes:
I think I've heard enough of it:cautious:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
This is too much fun and I have been doing many Neil Young songs solo for years. So here goes a second offering for this month. Quick and Dirty redention of After the Goldrush on Acoustic. Oh, and there is one lyric flub if you can catch it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/mooprq8g9wezuqi/After the Gold Rush.mp3?dl=0

slughand
Man, what a voice! I just got a new pair of earphones. These seem to put me a whole lot closer to the source than anything else I have and your vocal on this just sparkles! The acoustic guitar work is excellent as well, but as I said once before, your vocals outshine everything else. Nicely done!

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
Man, what a voice! I just got a new pair of earphones. These seem to put me a whole lot closer to the source than anything else I have and your vocal on this just sparkles! The acoustic guitar work is excellent as well, but as I said once before, your vocals outshine everything else. Nicely done!

Thank you for the kind words. I’ve really enjoyed participating in this months challenge. I have been really impressed by all the submissions so far. There is some great talent on here. It’s a nod to our mentor and teacher, Griff.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Been out of commission with a chest infection for the past two weeks, and this is the first chance I've had to sit down and enjoy all the entries.
And boy did I enjoy them!!!(y)(y)(y)(y) Some superb stuff Dennis, Doug, Mike, BJ, Moto, Paleo and CB. It felt like I was sitting down listening to my old record collection.:) If there's one thing these challenges have done, (apart from entertaining us all) it has had a huge effect on everyones recording abilities. Some of the stuff posted on here is simply superb.(y)(y) Well done everybody.(y)(y)