Is anyone running a Mac Mini M1?

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
Latency shouldn't be an issue with a hub. I'm using a USB 3.1

True! However, there have been issues with signal or connection drop outs while using USB. Particularly with bus powered hubs. People will often mistake that with latency. I would never recommend a bus powered hub of any kind. Just from my personal experience.

Cowboy Bob

My friends and family think I have been abducted by aliens :eek:or had a brain swap with a chicken.:(...I have been a long time brand loyalist

Yeah I get that. I was firmly in the MS camp for YEARS, even to teaching an introductory course at the Community College in MS DOS 5.

My main gig, at least for the next 15 months, as a ME I use windoze and Solaris, and used windoze in the studio for the first few years. I’d built my own studio PCs but soon became frustrated with the seeming endless combinations of components that wouldn’t play nice with Pro Tools.

Pro Tools was and is my main DAW of choice for many reasons, not the least of which is .ptx files are a deliverable for many of the projects that I work on.

Anyway when it came time for an upgrade/new build, I did the math, and switched to Apple and never looked back. I could not be happier with the performance and stability. The only thing that drives me nuts, and it’s a short drive anyway, is Apple’s constant OS upgrades.

Most folks I know aren’t on the bleeding edge of MacOS if they use their machines for audio production, anyway. I just moved up to Big Sur, so still one version from current.

Anyway, if your happy with your hardware and software choices, and they work together to get you what you want, who cares, right?

Elwood

Blues
I am reading horror stories about folks using KVM switches that cause the desktop video to scramble when changing between platforms. As I think about it when I used KVMs at work it was between similar or identical computers, not from a PC to MAC.
I may just go with the keyboard/mouse combo @dvs was kind enough to share. It seems like a trade off, I can use the wireless combo and have a much tidier desk area - but I have to switch the kbd and mouse (and mess with the monitor if one machine is not powered down) -or- I can use a KVM and probably end up not using it for the monitor, so I get a bunch of wires in exchange for eliminating one button push during system changes (I bet the change has become second nature to DVS by now anyway).
Sounds like the dvs kbd fix may be the answer!!! (y)

I sure appreciate all the info and experience folks are sharing!!! :Beer:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
True! However, there have been issues with signal or connection drop outs while using USB. Particularly with bus powered hubs. People will often mistake that with latency. I would never recommend a bus powered hub of any kind. Just from my personal experience.
You know, I had almost forgotten about bus powered hubs. The only one I ever use is one that's on an old PC that sits in the base of the TV set in the living room and the only thing I use the hub for is to feed a single cable to my coffee table and then a passive bus to split out the mouse and keyboard. It doesn't see much use, as it's an old Core 2 Duo with 4 gigs of memory and it barely runs Windows 10.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I am reading horror stories about folks using KVM switches that cause the desktop video to scramble when changing between platforms. As I think about it when I used KVMs at work it was between similar or identical computers, not from a PC to MAC.
Or just do like I do.
mousies.jpg

Elwood

Blues
Or just do like I do.
index.php
an infestation!!! :eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek:

Cowboy Bob

With an Apple Magic pad you don't need any of those any more!!

Tru dat!
I never could bond with one though and the Magic Mouse is not…well easy for me to use. My fingers tend to move too much or not enough.

I use an old Logitech blue tooth mouse for the very little rodent work needed. Otherwise I use my control surfaces in conjunction with an iPad control app.

Elwood

Blues
and then I find this!!! :D:eek::D:eek::D

Combine multiple audio interfaces by creating an Aggregate Device - Apple Support

In case this interests you here is a good video also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0p0mqLIwu4

It looks like I can create an aggregate device that consists of both my PreSonus 68c and my Focusrite 2i2 being used simultaneously during recording!!! :thumbup: 6 input tracks!!! :thumbup:

I never thought I would even care but now I have the hardware and the SDRUM and the ToneDeq can each take two inputs, add two mics and that's six!

Now isn't that why folks love their acoustics, so they can sit around in a tangle of wires in sweaty cans staring at a computer screen?

This is getting better and better!!! (y)(y)(y)

(the training vids are great @Many Moons , woman's not too bad either ;), kbd and mouse - done deal @dvs , thanks guys!!!)

Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I never could bond with one though and the Magic Mouse is not…well easy for me to use. My fingers tend to move too much or not enough.

This. I have two of the things, one I bought way back when they first came out and one that came with my iMac Pro a few years ago. Both of them gather dust in a drawer. Just never could keep my fingers in the right place and when doing delicate 3D modeling work it was just too much.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I never thought I would even care but now I have the hardware and the SDRUM and the ToneDeq can each take two inputs, add two mics and that's six!

Now isn't that why folks love their acoustics, so they can sit around in a tangle of wires in sweaty cans staring at a computer screen?

This is getting better and better!!! (y)(y)(y)
We shall be expecting Phil Spectre style tracks now Elwood.:D:D