January 2022 Challenge - Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young +

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
You guys are putting them on to fast. I sit down too complement Braylon (I had listened to it earlier) I liked it, but like Elwood -I don't recall it.
So now I got two more to compliment.
Then we got to give Paleo a big 5 for his idea of CSNY. and his contribution....Nice job on that.
I am hearing some good tunes that are pretty much unfamiliar to me, I had 4 songs between all of them that I listened too. (I know I'm a square). and so far only one has been done.
And last but not Least Capn Moto..and FWIW--which was my favorite. (But I got the feeling he was commemerarting 1/6/21):whistle::whistle::whistle:
I was totally expecting: "Teach your children" from him---so now I am down to 3 ???
I had planned to do FWIW only with a more modern up to date rewrite, I also wanted to do that on the "Dylan challenge" -a updated version of "Subterraining Homesick blues" but chickened out. That has to be one of the most difficult songs Bob Dylan ever wrote.

Nice job all the way around. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
Thanks Doug,
I knew you where adding encouragement, I just didn't want to be rude by following your work .

That's more about the origins of the song than I was aware of.
I knew that some people thought it was about other things.
None the less, I enjoyed your take, I thought it was a more pure and authentic.
Having spent lots of time in the VJR, I really like hearing various takes on the same song, It really expands my learning.

Now I'm pondering a second submission:sneaky:

Me too, an acoustic one.

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
Gave it the ol' college dropout try.

I'm looking forward to the weekend.

Sir Paul once said that if you don't keep singing you'll lose it.

After 40 years of not singing (or playing an acoustic or harmonica) I can verify that statement.

I use to do this song on stage.

Now even my harmonica sucks. And blows.

And I can't afford the current price of a Marine Band. :cry:

So I did what I could with what I got. :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/e6sb4ocznfqd786/ootw.mp3?dl=0

I can tell what you are playing is good but I too am getting distorted (doubled) guitar and vocals.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
You guys are putting them on to fast. I sit down too complement Braylon (I had listened to it earlier) I liked it, but like Elwood -I don't recall it.
So now I got two more to compliment.
Then we got to give Paleo a big 5 for his idea of CSNY. and his contribution....Nice job on that.
I am hearing some good tunes that are pretty much unfamiliar to me, I had 4 songs between all of them that I listened too. (I know I'm a square). and so far only one has been done.
And last but not Least Capn Moto..and FWIW--which was my favorite. (But I got the feeling he was commemerarting 1/6/21):whistle::whistle::whistle:
I was totally expecting: "Teach your children" from him---so now I am down to 3 ???
I had planned to do FWIW only with a more modern up to date rewrite, I also wanted to do that on the "Dylan challenge" -a updated version of "Subterraining Homesick blues" but chickened out. That has to be one of the most difficult songs Bob Dylan ever wrote.

Nice job all the way around. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
This could be interesting .
Why not do FWIW?

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Gave it the ol' college dropout try.

I'm looking forward to the weekend.

Sir Paul once said that if you don't keep singing you'll lose it.

After 40 years of not singing (or playing an acoustic or harmonica) I can verify that statement.

I use to do this song on stage.

Now even my harmonica sucks. And blows.

And I can't afford the current price of a Marine Band. :cry:

So I did what I could with what I got. :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/e6sb4ocznfqd786/ootw.mp3?dl=0
"Out on the Weekend" nice deeper dive

Caboburt

No Bad Days
Wellll...here goes. First of all CSNY was a great choice cause there are so many choices. Also it is interesting that the first songs, FWIW, Ohio, Needle and Damage Done, and for me, this one, tell a lot about the history of a lot of us...late 60's - early 70's was freekin INTENSE!
This song sung by David Crosby, Almost Cut My Hair, still brings tears to my eyes, cause being a "freak" in those days was not something to be ashamed of, but to be proud of. It meant many things to many different people, but the bottom line was still the same...for those of you who were there...Peace.
David can sing way higher than me. TZ, I know you are no worse than this:sneaky: rock on.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/2wsvr81o7tayh34/cut hair.mp3?dl=0

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
Wellll...here goes. First of all CSNY was a great choice cause there are so many choices. Also it is interesting that the first songs, FWIW, Ohio, Needle and Damage Done, and for me, this one, tell a lot about the history of a lot of us...late 60's - early 70's was freekin INTENSE!
This song sung by David Crosby, Almost Cut My Hair, still brings tears to my eyes, cause being a "freak" in those days was not something to be ashamed of, but to be proud of. It meant many things to many different people, but the bottom line was still the same...for those of you who were there...Peace.
David can sing way higher than me. TZ, I know you are no worse than this:sneaky: rock on.

Loved it!! I could hear hints of Davids voice in there and the multiple guitars parts were just like Stephen, David & Neil taking turns on it. Awesome job!!!

sloslunas

NM Blues

Wow! That had to be a very tough song to do. You did a great job on that arrangement...

Steve

dvs

Green Mountain Blues

Excellent. You rocked it, Burt! :thumbup::thumbup:

Elwood

Blues
Diggin deep, great job Burt!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: You took a tough one and knocked it out!!! (y)
"not feelin up to par"? Sounds like you are!!! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Burt, you killed it, great job! Tough song to play or sing, perfect for a challenge tune and you rocked it out. Great guitar tones, good vocal that brought Crosby to mind. Just real fine work, Burt, congratulations on a job well done.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager

Nice!
(y)
Only one guy in my high school garage band had long hair.
I was straddling life styles at the time.

Well done!
:thumbup:

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
For What It's Worth, I'm pretty happy with how this one came out. I "played" the drums in Impact XT on midi keyboard, then messed with it - rather a lot - by hand in S1, following @Griff's process in the AAP (12/13/21 "Gear Talk" session on Jingle Bell Rock) and under Sue's careful supervision, of course. All the guitar parts are my PRS SE Hollowbody II through a DSM&H Simplifier acting like a clean Fender amp. One guitar has tremolo added "in post", and everything (drums, guitars, bass, vocals) is sent to an FX channel with "Small Studio" reverb. The vocals are otherwise flat, with no added compression or EQ.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3f4a20f5977byo5/FWIW.mp3?dl=0
I've been looking at one of those DSM&H Simplifiers... you're not helping o_O

I really dug the drum programming too, I think it sounded very natural.

It might be my smaller speakers here at this computer, but I could have stood just a hair more reverb, especially on the guitar with tremolo.

Reactions: dvs

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
OK boys and girls, another dose of "Buffalo Springfield"

Here's poop on this one:
While watching YTubes to learn For What It's Worth, I watched an old TV show where they played two songs.

Quite frankly, don't even recall ever hearing this one...well, maybe I did and my brain fog wiped it away.

Anyhow, I thought it would be rather easy and I'd punch out a quick version....ha ha. :ROFLMAO:
Those guys have lots of guitar parts.:eek: and I don't have the Neil Young voice like @MikeS .

I tried to program the drums and then I had a brilliant idea to use one of those AI tools to separate the drums from the original.
That really came out bad.:rolleyes:

Long story, short, I decided to use the drum track and because it was so nasty, I just nastied up everything else.
It turned out sounding like an old worn out vinyl.

Here's "Mr.Soul"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnduv8mlidbuwhq/Mr. Soul V.mp3?dl=0

Last edited: