Starting BGU2.0

PeterSchroeder

Munich, Germany
First week in BGU2.0 is over, im working on lesson 1 and already hate barre chords. The rhythm is not a problem, and I was quite relieved when I read Griff´s pinned comment "Don't freak out over barre chords...". I do want to learn them, but I guess it will take time and patience and it isn´t fun. Same for open chord changes. So I can´t focus on these more than maybe 20-30 minutes per session before it is time for some fun.

Coming from other, non BGU related courses (with focus on heavier stuff) I got a solid idea of power chords, pentatonic scales, phrasing techniques and stuff. As I am a fresh AAP member, I am a little bit overwhelmed by the number of courses. Any suggestion what I might start working on besides BGU to have some fun and use my existing skills ? Would 5 Easy Blues Solos be suitable ?

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
If you have a foundation in heavier stuff maybe CRGU would be a bit of light relief.
However a better idea maybe sticking with BGU but doing the solo lessons at the same time as the rhythm lessons. There is nothing past basic counting that is in the earlier lessons that is needed for the solo lessons. Start lesson 15 in tandem with lesson 1.

cheers

Al.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Griff has always said that two 15 minute sessions separated by "some time" is better than one 30 minute session, so I wouldn't sweat the time that you are devoting to playing. You will eventually learn to change chords quickly and it's a skill that you MUST have, but Griff discussion of "Little Chords" is great. Power chords are great for rock, but not as useful in blues.

JffKnt

Blues Newbie
Coming from other, non BGU related courses (with focus on heavier stuff) I got a solid idea of power chords, pentatonic scales, phrasing techniques and stuff. As I am a fresh AAP member, I am a little bit overwhelmed by the number of courses. Any suggestion what I might start working on besides BGU to have some fun and use my existing skills ? Would 5 Easy Blues Solos be suitable ?

I would go with the lesson "How To Improvise Blues Solos" as an easier alternative. For something more challenging look at either (or both) "Blues Solo Construction Kit: Shuffle Feel" or "Blues Solo Construction Kit: Slow Blues Feel".