Chord Tone Soloing

Bill_B

Blues Newbie
I had originally posted this in the 'Ask Griff' area, then I found this section of the forum. I move the post to here and deleted the one in 'Ask Griff'

Some months ago I watched a youtube video on practicing chord tones. I liked it, and started putting it into my practice routine. The problem is, even with all that I have learned form the Blues 2.0 course, I just don't seem to have much musicality. Using one of your 29 backing tracks I play the 1-3-5 chord tones randomly, but it sounds terrible.

So I'm asking if you think there would be much value in having some examples of playing just chord tones over a simple 1 4 5 progression.

I'm sure some don't see any value in the CAGED system, but it has helped me in understanding the fretboard, and intervals (chord tones) EDIT: Obviously this is not the case here. (y)

Not sure if it's allowed, but here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfXxOM2BcAk

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I had originally posted this in the 'Ask Griff' area, then I found this section of the forum. I move the post to here and deleted the one in 'Ask Griff'

Some months ago I watched a youtube video on practicing chord tones. I liked it, and started putting it into my practice routine. The problem is, even with all that I have learned form the Blues 2.0 course, I just don't seem to have much musicality. Using one of your 29 backing tracks I play the 1-3-5 chord tones randomly, but it sounds terrible.

So I'm asking if you think there would be much value in having some examples of playing just chord tones over a simple 1 4 5 progression.

I'm sure some don't see any value in the CAGED system, but it has helped me in understanding the fretboard, and intervals (chord tones) EDIT: Obviously this is not the case here. (y)

Not sure if it's allowed, but here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfXxOM2BcAk

Since the guy that you cite in the video just uses the term "Chord Tones" in place of the term "Arpeggios", Have you looked at Griff's course Arpeggios and Blues?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Try extending your chords to Dominant 7’s giving you one more note in the arpeggios: 1 3 5 b7. :sneaky:

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Griff’s “arpeggio course” is titled “Chord By Chord Blues Soloing”. :)

Last edited:

Bill_B

Blues Newbie
That will help. Thanks

I've been previewing the course, and believe this is what I'm looking for. I really do like the little melody in the youtube video, but this will accomplish the same end.
Thanks guys

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
There IS a course titled "Arpeggios and Blues" in the "My Course" list.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I'm sure you have several courses in your list that AAP members don't have in theirs.

So do I.

Only those who originally bought this course when it was offered will have it in their list.

Griff no longer offers any courses by Bob Murnahan and hasn't included any of them in the AAP course list.

Your list includes everything you owned prior to AAP, including courses by others and courses Griff has discontinued.

I’m sure you have some others in your list I don’t have that were available before I bought my first in 2013.

Courses by others and discontinued courses won't show up for new members signing up for AAP.

The AAP list only includes courses Griff has done and that are still available.

Last edited: