September 2021 Challenge - Three Kings

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
That was just to dag-gone good Papa---that sounded professional---your best to DATE in my opinion (I like them all but this is a stand out). And you said you can't sing :rolleyes: Okey-dokey if you say so---like Elwood said "introduced me to a super cool song."

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Well, I think this one is done (maybe not finished, but done). Boogieman is a tune Freddie King did in the early 70's. It was written by Leon Russell and on Freddie's original recording, it's pretty obvious that it's a Leon Russell production, with Leon on the piano. I took more than a few liberties with this, as it sounds almost nothing like the Freddie King version. My cover owes more to an Eric Gales recording of it. It's considerably toned down from the Gales version, but I had fun.
I even almost like the vocals on this one.
https://paparaptor.com/Audio/BoogieMan-FirstMix.mp3
Great job Lloyd. I can definitely hear the Eric Gales vibe on this one but you also fantastically made it your own!

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Well, I think this one is done (maybe not finished, but done). Boogieman is a tune Freddie King did in the early 70's. It was written by Leon Russell and on Freddie's original recording, it's pretty obvious that it's a Leon Russell production, with Leon on the piano. I took more than a few liberties with this, as it sounds almost nothing like the Freddie King version. My cover owes more to an Eric Gales recording of it. It's considerably toned down from the Gales version, but I had fun.
I even almost like the vocals on this one.
https://paparaptor.com/Audio/BoogieMan-FirstMix.mp3
I'm unfamiliar with this one, odd in that I like Eric Gales and Freddie, while Leon is probably my all-time favorite musician. Leon signed King to his private label and produced a bunch of material for him helping boost his popularity in the 70s. I like this cut, good guitar work, nice harmony on the vocal. Very well put together. Is there a bass on this track?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Very well put together. Is there a bass on this track?

Thanks. It was a fun track and I wasn't quite sure I could handle it. Eric Gales has a very unique style with his "right-handed guitar, played left handed." He gets some riff combinations that can be frustrating for a regular right handed player (or at least me).

Yes, there's a bass. I actually backed it down a bit before the mix that's up. I listened to it on my monitor speakers, a pair of headphones, in my car and on my phone and it was pretty prominent. Was it not strong on your playback equipment?

Freddie King's original version of this is on the Woman Across the River album.
Eric Gales cover is from the Middle Of The Road album.

Last edited:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Thanks. It was a fun track and I wasn't quite sure I could handle it. Eric Gales has a very unique style with his "right-handed guitar, played left handed." He gets some riff combinations that can be frustrating for a regular right handed player (or at least me).

Yes, there's a bass. I actually backed it down a bit before the mix that's up. I listened to it on my monitor speakers, a pair of headphones, in my car and on my phone and it was pretty prominent. Was it not strong on your playback equipment?

Freddie King's original version of this is on the Woman Across the River album.
Eric Gales cover is from the Middle Of The Road album.
I'll have a listen in the studio on better speakers later today. I couldn't quite tell if there was a bass, possibly doubling the single note guitar part. Basses are always tough to record and mix well for me.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I am calling dibs on "Paying the cost to be the boss". It will be awhile---so if somebody else is already working on it I will step aside---I have a couple others that I have played a lot more. Let me know before I put to much time into it.:Beer:
It is my favorite B.B. song, but I can't connect with it---so I am calling off my Dibs-Worked on it for 5-6 hours and I am not feeling it. Back to the drawing board.:(

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
It is my favorite B.B. song, but I can't connect with it---so I am calling off my Dibs-Worked on it for 5-6 hours and I am not feeling it. Back to the drawing board.:(
After only 6 hours? JK. I'm frustrated on my chosen King song, also. Its not complicated, but I'm not happy with the lead. Spent my attention span on it the last three days trying to elevate it from crappy to mediocre without much success. There is improvement, though. I'm past the point of no return, I just suck at improvisation, so I need to approach it like learning the BGU solos, and those take a long time to get musical. I'll probably divert for a day or so and work on drums and come back to it tomorrow.

MarcV

Blues Junior

After only 6 hours? JK. I'm frustrated on my chosen King song, also. Its not complicated, but I'm not happy with the lead. Spent my attention span on it the last three days trying to elevate it from crappy to mediocre without much success. There is improvement, though. I'm past the point of no return, I just suck at improvisation, so I need to approach it like learning the BGU solos, and those take a long time to get musical. I'll probably divert for a day or so and work on drums and come back to it tomorrow.

Gentlemen, I feel your pain. These challenges can be a bear: hours upon hours of hard work with results that seem mediocre. I just keep telling myself that my skills are improving with all the hard work even tho it does not seem like at the time. Hang in there:whistle::whistle::whistle:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Here's one - https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mqd6jsyjydd5lz/Matchbox.mp3?dl=0

Pretty happy with the groove, would love to keep working on a better solo - maybe get it to sound more like Albert and less like me. Unfortunately, my fingers are getting worn out (along with my patience!). And what the heck, it is me, after all. I programmed the drums in S1; I played the bass, rhythm and lead guitars and sang the words all in real life.

Oh, and I almost forgot - this song is a cover of Matchbox Blues by Albert King.

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
Great Doug! (y) You got some Albert in there but I like the "you" playin just fine! :Beer:
Papa is right on about the groove too! You have that foot tapping thing going real strong throughout! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: You really put together a nice rhythm group performance! (y)(y)(y)
Great job all over!!! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

(Now I was thinking for sure you would be picking up "bad sign", hmmmm....very interestingk!)

th

Reactions: dvs

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Great Doug! (y) You got some Albert in there but I like the "you" playin just fine! :Beer:
Papa is right on about the groove too! You have that foot tapping thing going real strong throughout! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: You really put together a nice rhythm group performance! (y)(y)(y)
Great job all over!!! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

(Now I was thinking for sure you would be picking up "bad sign", hmmmm....very interestingk!)

th
"Bad Sign" was on my list, also "Oh Pretty Woman," but Matchbox made the cut, mostly because I didn't already know it. And I love that groove! Getting the vocal timing right was f'ing HARD! (There's still an issue with the final line of the first verse - I finally figured it out, but I am not inclined to re-record just now...). Anyway, thanks!

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Good stuff Doug! That was excellent. I really enjoyed it. Great guitar work and your singing was spot on.

Reactions: dvs

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Guess I was too intent on trying to get down 20+ new licks and didn't pay attention to my levels. :mad:

I may or may not have the stamina to start all over again from scratch. :eek:

I think even chipmunks might get the blues. :unsure:

But maybe not everyday?

Last edited: