Hello All

My name is Steve and I retired from my job has a healthcare executive/Psychologist about 3 years ago. In my youth (20's - mid 30's) I played professionally as an acoustic solo singer/player. Even got to open for Kenny Loggins and spend some time with Dylan. Then got "serious" about life, went back to school...yada, yada, yada...which brings me to now. I've always been a strummer/fingerpicker and singer and now I want to learn to play blues solo (electric). My guitar "heros" are Clapton, Beck, Bloomflield, all the Kings, and a newer guy that goes by the moniker "Kingfish". Feeling a bit lost, but committed to playing/practicing at least 30 minutes a day. At age 70 I really want to get comfortable improvising before my "expiration date.":) Any words of encouragement, direction, helpful hints are most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Steve

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to the forum Steve, I'm glad you found us.
The best advice/encouragement I can give you today is to visit the forum regularly. Ask questions, view the posts, especially topics concerning courses you are working on or interested in and at all cost avoid the gear pages! (just kidding, they are the best but beware they are trolled by shameless enablers who will have you drooling over gear you have to have that you didn't even know existed a day ago).

My name is Steve and I retired from my job has a healthcare executive/Psychologist about 3 years ago. In my youth (20's - mid 30's) I played professionally as an acoustic solo singer/player. Even got to open for Kenny Loggins and spend some time with Dylan. Then got "serious" about life, went back to school...yada, yada, yada...which brings me to now. I've always been a strummer/fingerpicker and singer and now I want to learn to play blues solo (electric). My guitar "heros" are Clapton, Beck, Bloomflield, all the Kings, and a newer guy that goes by the moniker "Kingfish". Feeling a bit lost, but committed to playing/practicing at least 30 minutes a day. At age 70 I really want to get comfortable improvising before my "expiration date.":) Any words of encouragement, direction, helpful hints are most appreciated.

Steve
Hi Steve. Yours is a common story here. The ‘Soloing without Scales’ course might be the quickest on-ramp for you. The Blues Guitar Unleashed will help get you where you want to be after several months of practice and playing. Welcome tot he forum ,

artyman

Fareham UK
Hi and welcome from one of the UK mob, there are a great bunch of folk on here with plenty of encouragement, and advice. When you get settled in take a wander down to the basement and check out the Virtual Jam Room where a bunch of us hang out, a great place to try your skills in an easy going environment, you have to bring your own beer though! :Beer:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Welcome to the forum Steve! Great to have you with us! You have a pretty solid background! You might find Griff to be an excellent teacher to open up and short cut your exploration into Blues music. :thumbup:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Well now Steve,
Nice to have you with us.
Based upon your history, you might be teaching us all a thing or two soon.

Welcome, there's plenty folks here, finding new life in the blues after spending years on life's twisted path.

Looking forward to your participation
:)

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Welcome to the club. In BGU, take a look at the 9th chords, the barre chords and the "little chords" for rhythm that may not have been in the folkey vocabulary.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Welcome aboard Steve. That's quite a CV you have, and it should help you make short work of whatever you tackle. I still maintain BGU2 is the best foundation you can lay for a future in playing the blues. Have fun on the journey.(y)(y)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

Steve

Welcome Steve, first a word of warning...
As a Psychologist, you may be tempted to fix some of the nuts around here (several of whom are moderators). Don't try. You'll just get frustrated.

Since it sounds like you have the basics down, I don't think it will be too long a road for you to start soloing.
I assume that you've started with the Blues Guitar Unleashed course. It will give you a great foundation on blues scales and blues soloing.
IF you think you might want to look into more courses, I strongly recommend looking at the All Access Pass. For a monthly (or yearly) fee, you get streaming access to everything Griff offers. In fact, Griff currently has a Try-It-Before-You-Buy-It offer going.

Try The Blues Guitar Unleashed All Access Pass For Just $1...
https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/dollar-aap/

Thank you, all, for your kind words. I am plugging away and indeed, I'm getting better. In addition to my desire to be a much better player/soloist, I'm also very interested in learning about the history of American Blues. I'm wondering if anyone has a good book to recommend, in this regard. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Hi Stephen, from the Aussie side of BGU.
You asked about Blues (History) books - from my own bookshelf I can recommend these (but they're all old, so may not be available any more) (but check Amazon and Booktopia, also AbeBooks is good for second-hand books).

"Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey" is really good. Large-format, lots and lots of photos. Published in 2001 in Great Britain. Pretty comprehensive.

"The Blues from Robert Johnson to Robert Cray", by Tony Russell, published 1997 in Australia by Harper Collins Books. Also large-format with lots of photos.

"The Big Book of Blues" by Robert Santelli, published in 1994 in Great Britain. It's sub-titled "A Biographical Encyclopedia", so more of a reference book than a history. A big, fat paperback with no photos.

cheers, and happy hunting. (BTW, I'm a lapsed Librarian, hence the bookshelves).

tommytubetone

Great Lakes

Steve
Go to the Lounge and check out the Blues History thread by@luckylarry. He’s the man for Blues History.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Welcome to the forum, amigo! Take a look around and join in the fun.