As a beginer I like to write out the count

JohnCossano

Blues Newbie
Since Griff always says to count things out, I like to write the count below each bar. But on page 16 examples # 22 and 23, I am confused about how to write the count. It would be super helpfull to have the count written below the main bars, or the most complicated bar. The 16ths involved with these bends in lesson 23 has me scratching my head. As the count is so important it would be real helpful to see it writen out, since some times when Griff counts it out in the video it is hard to associate with the correct note. This may be due to the latency of my computer and or other things on my end. Please help.

Thanks
John C

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Griff has updated the course to SWS 2.0.

In this version he counts you through all of the examples.

You'll be on page 13 in the new manual.

Example 22 is also used as Lick 5 in Solo 1 and example 23 is the first measure of Lick 10. :)

As he explains, notating bends is "imperfect". (Introduction video @ 5:00)

It's written as if the original 16th note gets 3 and the dotted 8th note "destination" gets "e and uh".

This denotes a "quick" bend.

Check out how he counts Ex 21 and his comment (10:22) about "listening" to the bend.

You can just count 3 as you "quickly" bend and hold through "and".

Ex. 23 :

Rest = 1 and
Hammer on = 2
8th = and
Bend = 3 and
Pull-off = 4
8th = and

He counts in "8ths". You could count in "16ths" if you like. :sneaky:

Rest = 1 e and uh
Hammer on = 2 e
8th = and uh
Bend = 3 e and uh
Pull-off = 4 e
8th = and uh

Griff doesn't write out the count because that's what he wants you to do. ;)

If you run into trouble at any time, help will always be available here on the forum. :)

Last edited:

JohnCossano

Blues Newbie
Paleo, Thanks alot for walking me thru the count on this stuff, that was a big help. I do try to write out the count on everything for myself. but this is the first time I had to deal with bends and 16 notes, so I wasnt sure how best to write it out. Your examples give me convidence to keep moving forward.

Thanks again
John C