Pedals/Effects Delay pedals...

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm currently using a Line 6 M5 for my delay. It works & sounds fine, but it takes up lots of real estate on my board.
I'm looking at some mini pedals:
(Used/New)
MXR M299 Carbon Copy $118/$150
TC Electronics Flashback $60/$130
Mooer Reecho $70/$98

Thoughts or better options?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Have the Flashback Mini and it does the job. I haven’t messed with the tone print stuff since day one when I set it to some “go to” patch (forget the name of the guy in the title) and left it there. I just nudge the delay knobs to go from slapback to whatever and done.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I have a Carbon Copy that I used a lot for slapback when I ran a pedal board. If I ever build another board, the CC will be on it.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I expect that when I buy a delay I'll get the Carbon Copy. A delay hasn't been critical to my tone as I have not used one in years. I've got the BBE Two Timer which allows two preset delay settings as it has two buttons but it's not even connected to my board. My Blues tone is pretty much different shades of OD and dist. Even the Deja Vib is a modulating dist type of pedal. I use only a small sliver of amp reverb. :Beer:

Last edited:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Is your delay used in a "set-it-and-forget-it" mode, or do you mess with it a lot? If the former, pretty much any delay pedal would do what you need. In the latter case, unless you're looking for exotic delays combined with modulation, I'd probably go for the MXR of the three you mentioned.

If you mess with the delay settings a lot and you might like to mess around with the fancier stuff, the Flashback is the only one on your list that can do all that. However, I would recommend against the Flashback mini (which I own) since with that pedal you cannot switch delay styles or toneprints from the pedal - you have to either connect to a computer via USB or "beam" predefined toneprints from a phone. The normal-size Flashback II would be a better choice. It has an array of built-in styles plus three user-selected toneprints available via a selector knob right on the pedal, and it is still a lot smaller than your Line 6.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I built a copy of the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay which I really like. There are some clones of it in mini pedal format around as well.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I used to use the Mooer Reecho and I thought it was a great delay.

It was a bit too basic for my taste (switched to a JoYo D-Seed) but for it's cost and size, it's a great pedal.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Yellow Fall delay. I sold the one I had and missed it so I bought another used one. Love it

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
The Yellow Fall is a VERY WARM, ANALOG-sounding delay although it isn't really analog. It does GREAT slap-back delay! I have it in my grab-and-go bag with my Yamaha THR10-C.

The delay I have on my compact board is a Way Huge Echo Puss ... OUTSTANDING delay! It is a warm ANALOG delay using the bucket brigade approach. It has on-board modulation like chorus you can use or not use and adjust to your heart's content. My little board does not have room for a separate chorus pedal, so this killed two birds with one rock. It also has all of its jacks on TOP where they BELONG to save space on a board, which was IMPERATIVE for my compact board.

On my mini-mini board for jams I have the TC Flashback mini. It is also and excellent delay even though it is digital. There are 97 toneprints I can download into it in minutes, great analog simulations among them incuding the famous Echoplex. I have spent hours trying different toneprints, have about 10 favorites, can't decide which I like best ... same thing with my Hall Of Fame mini reverb that is also on that board.
toneprint2.jpg
toneprint.jpg

Last edited:

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
I have owned and used the CC, flashback mini and the yellow fall. The yellow fall sounded fine, but mine had a level drop when engaged. That bugged me so I got rid of it. The CC sounds great for that slight analog flavor. The flashback is the most versatile. There are a bunch of great artist tone prints plus I think you can make and save your own.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have spent basically two days trying all of the Flashback Mini toneprints and I have narrowed my choice down to two ... Echoplex ... and ... Analog Meets Thorn. The Analog Meets Thorn is VERY close to what I get from my actual Analog Way Huge Echo Puss, a very nice, warm delay. The Echoplex is also a very warm delay. Both do slap back exceptionally well. I am torn between these two, can't make up my mind.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Sounds like fun! I probably should have gotten something straightforward like that Yellow Fall; the Flashback Mini is total overkill for how I use it. I used the Tone Print feature exactly once, applied a fairly generic patch, and that's been it ever since. I don't think I even have the software installed on my current phone.

Let us know how it works out for you! :Beer: