Any Guitar Pro experts around?

Steve_Sawyer

Blues Newbie
I'm struggling with something that I can't find anywhere in the documentation, or in YouTube tutorials but seems that it should be simple to do. I'm running GP 7.5 if it makes a difference.

I have a file that was written using standard notation, and the tab is all wrong - not musically, but just nowhere near the way I'm playing this piece. What I'm trying to do is leave the standard notation as-is, but change the tab. For instance, the "D" on the notation gets shown in the tab as the open "D" string, but I'm playing it on the 3rd string, 5th fret (this is on a 4-string (EADG) bass).

Any pointers on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I only have GP6, but you should be able to duplicate the note on the tab on the A string and delete the entry on the D string.
At least that's what I just did as a test.

Steve_Sawyer

Blues Newbie
Ok - Thanks, guys.

Given how much work that will take, I might just as well enter the entire score into GP directly. What I'm trying to do is avoid having to learn another piece of notation software. I've been working on learning MuseScore for about six months, as I'm doing drums, bass, guitar and Chapman Stick. MuseScore exports to .MusicXML, which imports pretty nicely into GP, but the tab is all wrong. I was hoping there was a more efficient way of getting the tab corrected than just manually manipulating each note individually - even something that kinda got me in the ball park would be good!! :)

I'm only trying to get the bass parts into GP, for learning specific bass lines using GoPlayAlong, and I'm not super enthusiastic about having to learn GP which appears to be a fairly challenging but very robust product after having already invested so much into learning MuseScore, but I suppose that's just the way things are! :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the prompt suggestions!

PS - I've never looked at the tablature capabilities of MuseScore. From what I can see, it appears to have the capability I was looking for in GP - the ability to change the string or the fret without changing the pitch. I'll have to re-create the score I'm working on (not too bad - only about 32 measures) with the tablature, then export that and import into GP and see how it does.

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yeah, that's the problem with using standard notation. It doesn't really tell (or correctly tell) the guitarist where to play any particular note. I've forgotten nearly all my standard notation ability and strictly use tab for guitar. It's a challenge when I try to add a keyboard or horn part because thy have to be in standard notation.
I've been using GP for years. I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I use it a lot.

Steve_Sawyer

Blues Newbie
Yeah, that's the problem with using standard notation. It doesn't really tell (or correctly tell) the guitarist where to play any particular note. I've forgotten nearly all my standard notation ability and strictly use tab for guitar. It's a challenge when I try to add a keyboard or horn part because thy have to be in standard notation.
I've been using GP for years. I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I use it a lot.
I had some time to play with the tablature capabilities of MuseScore last night. Some might want to take a look at that. It appears I could work in tab directly and not have to use standard notation at all, though part of my purpose in using MuseScore is to learn to read notation!! ;)

The question is, will this import into GP as nicely as did the standard notation? For the sake of completeness, I'll come back here and report how it goes. I find that GoPlayAlong is really, really good for learning bass. Haven't used it much for guitar, so I'm not sure if it works as well. Too bad it only works with GP files. Some simpler files - e.g. those with a "walking" bass line - get synced with the music file perfectly, others take a lot of tweaking. I've synced up GP bass tab for Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" and Pink Floyd's "Money". Both took about an hour to get it perfect. Wouldn't be an issue if everything I wanted to work on was already out there in GP files, but alas, that's never the case!

markna

Blues Newbie
If you click on the note in guitar pro that you want to move.
Now hold down the alt key and press the up arrow or down arrow it will move the note to the adjacent string.

So if for instance you have an open g note and you want to move it to the 5th fret of the d string. Just select the note and press alt and up arrow and it will do it for you.

You can also highlight multiple notes and do the same and it will move all of the notes in one go.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Now hold down the alt key and press the up arrow or down arrow it will move the note to the adjacent string.

So if for instance you have an open g note and you want to move it to the 5th fret of the d string. Just select the note and press alt and up arrow and it will do it for you.

You can also highlight multiple notes and do the same and it will move all of the notes in one go.

When I have a 3 on the 6th string and I Alt/Up arrow it goes to the 2nd fret on the 5th string. Alt/Up again goes to the 7th fret of the D string????? Am I doing something wrong?

glynnd

Blues Newbie
The low g on the 6th string cannot be duplicated on any other string. Try another example like the e at the 9th fret of the third string, alt up it goes to 2nd string 5th fret, alt up again 1st string open.

Steve_Sawyer

Blues Newbie
Hah! That did it! MuseScore uses the same technique, but it's Ctrl-UpArrow/Ctrl-DwnArrow. I was pretty sure GP had to have a way to do that.

That said, it looks like if I decide to buy GP, I can work exactly as I wanted to - I can compose/transcribe in MuseScore, but then import into GP via MusicXML. If I have to make any adjustments to the tab within GP, I now know how to do that - Thanks!!

Here is the result. Flawless from what I can see. Only tweak I had to do was adjust the "Transposition Tonality" as it came in with it set to "One Octave Lower". Once I changed it to "Same Octave" everything was jake!!

MuseScore to GP.png

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
What a great group of informed guitar slingers we have here!

I haven't spent much time trying to input into GP or MuseScore, I'm not sure I have the talent to do so but tips like given here, give me hope that someday I might be able to do it! In the meantime, I'm using Word with no rhythm indications, just notes!

Steve_Sawyer

Blues Newbie
I can't speak to GP - I've only been goofing around with it for a few days - but MuseScore is quite the product. It takes a while to learn, like any complex software, but I've found simply copying existing transcriptions has really helped me get going with it. Once you start to know your way around, you start to actually type in the score. There are keyboard shortcuts for note-entry, and it comes along pretty quickly.

AND...

I was (and still am) pretty lame with reading conventional notation, it has really helped improve that. I started by taking a transcript and writing all of the note values above each note, and used these to enter the score. Pretty soon I found I didn't have to do that as much - I could just read the notes directly. I still stumble a bit switching clefs, but it's getting better very rapidly. So much so, that I wouldn't even think of entering the notation as tab - much easier for me right now to just enter the conventional notation and let MuseScore automatically create the tab, then go back and tweak the tab to reflect how I want to play it. That too can reveal some interesting things, particularly on bass fingerings; the way I was playing that piece above in particular turned out to be more difficult than the way MuseScore tabbed it.

MuseScore is pretty impressive. It probably has 90% of the capabilities of products like Sibelius or Finale, but doesn't set ya back a few hundred bucks!! So if anyone is at all interesting in doing their own transcriptions (or compositions!?!?!) and learn standard notation, it's certainly worth considering. GP may have similar capabilities - what little I've seen so far looks pretty good.