Where does this take us in the long run

GarySugar

Blues Newbie
I've been playing for many years, I know all the scales and a bunch of licks, but feel I have many more licks I want to integrate into my vocabulary. I've never seen anyone teach improvisation this way, but it makes a lot of sense to me, but before I jump in in earnest, I'm curious to get more info on where all of this is going to take me, say, a year from now.

I get the idea of using this course when you're just starting to learn how to improvise, but what happens after you've used this approach to learn, say, 20 different licks, and you can use them to play 20 factorial or whatever it is different solos by changing their order. What do you do when you hear the 21st lick that you like? How do you burn that lick into your vocabulary? I'd really like to ask this to Griff specifically. Griff - by now you've got tons of licks burned into your mind that you have ready to go when playing live. What do you do when you hear a new lick that you like and want to incorporate into your vocab? What steps do you take to get the new lick into your repertoire. Curious to know how those steps compare and contrast to those outlined in the course. Something tells me they're not that much different, but curious to hear the answer.

For example, even today, would you take 3 full practice days learning how to play the lick with 4 other licks in various orderings?

Thanks!
Gary

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I know that you asked for Griff's input, but I can tell you that Griff does almost exactly what you mention. He has spoken about it several times over the years.
He has/had a 3 gig pattern.
- listen to a lick to internalize it
- practice the lick
- use it at three gigs. (Use it in several solos and at several places within solos. You will learn where it works and where it doesn't)

First gig, it wouldn't go so well, the second gig a bit better and by the third gig he'd have it down.

The "three" in my case might be months of gigs, but it's the same concept.
First you listen till you can hum it
Second you memorize the finger moves
Third you use it as much and in as many different places (within a solo, in different solos & in different songs/feels).

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Thanks - this is great info; hugely enlightening and helpful. I'm off to learn some licks!!

Gary
@GarySugar I'm sorry I missed this before, but @MikeS nailed it... that's exactly what I do with a new lick, and what I encourage you to do.

I can tell you that any time I do NOT follow my own advice, I forget the lick and when I try to recall it... it's simply not there. When I'm not gigging and I'm just trying to learn things at home, it sometimes takes a little longer for an idea to really sink in.

Granted, my "new ideas" are a little more complex, but I'm further along the curve, too. So don't be hard on yourself, be patient, and keep working with an idea until it really is like second nature.