I'm Embarrassed to Ask, but...

SuzanneShafer

Addicted to Bikes & Blues
If you like the sound of a lap steel and pedal steel and aren't familiar with him, check out Robert Randolph and the Family Band. Lively, funky, and bluesy. One of my favorites.

Listening to him now doing The Sky is Crying, at the 2014 Rawa Blues Festival. Wow! Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Listening to him now doing The Sky is Crying, at the 2014 Rawa Blues Festival. Wow! Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

You're welcome. I've been a fan since '98 when my mom introduced me to him. Finally got to see him live at the Bayfront Blues Festival in Duluth, MN in about 2017 or 18? I don't remember which year. This past year has caused a memory lapse.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I've seen Robert Randolph 3 times twice eh blew me away. the third time (at Mammoth Blues festival) he was uninspired.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I've seen Robert Randolph 3 times twice eh blew me away. the third time (at Mammoth Blues festival) he was uninspired.

I guess everyone is entitled to a bad night once in a while. I've only ever seen Elton John once in concert and it was depressing. I think he was suffering from depression at the time. I am no less a fan today, in spite of that less than acceptable show.

SuzanneShafer

if Junior Brown and his “Guit-Steel” are in town, it is an E ticket ride for sure.

Woo-Hoo! I finally have the 8-string lap steel Ryan Rukavina (Missoula, MT) made for me in hand. It's sweet! Junior Brown would feel right at home with it seeing as how I'm using his C6 tuning (BbCEGACEG). Spent half my day stringing it to that tuning then discovering the joys of having lush 7th chords available without having to slant the bar. Now it's time to get back to my pint-sized Manitou Les Paul and practice 7th chord arpeggios with Griff.

IMG_20210207_2101553714x6.jpg

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I'm trying to find the lush 7th chords

On the lower strings b7 1 3 5 is kind of weird unless you're playing up the neck and someone else is providing the root

On the upper strings 1 b3 5 b7 gives Am7

I can't find any other dom7 or min7 chords in there with an unslanted bar. I could be wrong.

And it still has that C6 sound (the A) in the middle.

I don't see any way of getting a 9th sound

Just askin'. Congrats on your new acquisition

SuzanneShafer

I'm trying to find the lush 7th chords. On the lower strings b7 1 3 5 is kind of weird unless you're playing up the neck and someone else is providing the root. On the upper strings 1 b3 5 b7 gives Am7. I can't find any other dom7 or min7 chords in there with an unslanted bar. I could be wrong. And it still has that C6 sound (the A) in the middle. I don't see any way of getting a 9th sound. Just askin'. Congrats on your new acquisition

With 4 picks, I can get the skeleton of a C13 ( b7 1 3 6 ). But you're right - no 9th sound. Also, with the b7 on the bottom, 7th chord inversions using the high strings as I'd like to do, don't sound all that good. I thought I could put the b7 in the middle, but after some experimenting, I realized that would negatively impact playability. I'm considering moving it to the top string, but doing so would likely require a different nut. @piebaldpython has a Bb C E G A C E D tuning (the D is lower-toned than the E), and thus gets a 9th. But I'm not prepared to give up having a full major triad at the top because so many of the licks I hear in my head need it. I'll definitely do a bit more experimenting before I settle on a tuning. The Chrome Planet Wave tuning machines make changing strings so simple that it's just a matter of how many strings I'm willing to trash in order to try things out.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
With 4 picks, I can get the skeleton of a C13 ( b7 1 3 6 ). But you're right - no 9th sound. Also, with the b7 on the bottom, 7th chord inversions using the high strings as I'd like to do, don't sound all that good. I thought I could put the b7 in the middle, but after some experimenting, I realized that would negatively impact playability. I'm considering moving it to the top string, but doing so would likely require a different nut. @piebaldpython has a Bb C E G A C E D tuning (the D is lower-toned than the E), and thus gets a 9th. But I'm not prepared to give up having a full major triad at the top because so many of the licks I hear in my head need it. I'll definitely do a bit more experimenting before I settle on a tuning. The Chrome Planet Wave tuning machines make changing strings so simple that it's just a matter of how many strings I'm willing to trash in order to try things out.
Well you could go to a 9 or 10 string, and then add a way to change the tuning on the fly, like pedals or something. Oh wait...

Have fun with your new toy. It wouldn't be a big deal to tune that A to Bb for some tunes. Tuning the high G down to D probably wouldn't work with the same string gauge. You could tune it to F and get some sus4 sounds, but could probably get the same effect with a bar slant.