Differences in Guitars

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I have been playing my Secondary Dream Guitar, an Ibanez s-670qm a lot the past three months ( the one I lust after is the Nita Strauss JIVA Signature model, it does things to me that should be illegal)

Without getting into all the specs, long neck, super thin and fast. So I decided to grab my Les Paul, couldn't hit any notes unless I stayed in one box. Even picking without the Floyd Rose in the way was weird.

So blew that off, today decided to do warm up on the cheap tele bullet or what ever it is ($159 special new).
Neck is thin, so that was easy. Got down to the 12th fret, looked down and thought, where the hell did the rest of the neck go ...............I mean, did someone steal the rest of my fretboard ?

I actually banged my hand on the guitar sliding down to where I expected to hit notes

Anyone else have this issue switching guitars ?

I first noticed it when Marty Schwartz called me on stage at one of his shows. I played his Pink Strat, I had issues because I wear my guitar so the body is on my hip bone, his strap was where the guitar was more on my stomach, neck was all wrong

I am starting to think part of my practice routine should be swapping out instruments (the reason I have used the Ibanez is because I do tapping practice on it)

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
I have been playing my Secondary Dream Guitar, an Ibanez s-670qm a lot the past three months ( the one I lust after is the Nita Strauss JIVA Signature model, it does things to me that should be illegal)

Without getting into all the specs, long neck, super thin and fast. So I decided to grab my Les Paul, couldn't hit any notes unless I stayed in one box. Even picking without the Floyd Rose in the way was weird.

So blew that off, today decided to do warm up on the cheap tele bullet or what ever it is ($159 special new).
Neck is thin, so that was easy. Got down to the 12th fret, looked down and thought, where the hell did the rest of the neck go ...............I mean, did someone steal the rest of my fretboard ?

I actually banged my hand on the guitar sliding down to where I expected to hit notes

Anyone else have this issue switching guitars ?

I first noticed it when Marty Schwartz called me on stage at one of his shows. I played his Pink Strat, I had issues because I wear my guitar so the body is on my hip bone, his strap was where the guitar was more on my stomach, neck was all wrong

I am starting to think part of my practice routine should be swapping out instruments (the reason I have used the Ibanez is because I do tapping practice on it)

Huge difference in necks, fretboard out there and I have the same issues. My GL’s have a Modern C with a 9.5” radius, My SG is thin C with 12’ radius and feels like the guitar is all neck. It is like playing a 1x 4 slat compared to my ASAT Bluesboy and S-100.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have guitars with just about every configuration imaginable, different fretboard radius, different numbers of frets, different neck shapes, different frets, Strats, LP shapes, Teles and a couple others, and have no problem rotating between any of them. For the more "extreme" differences it only takes me a few minutes to adapt. The only thing I really don't like is necks with a 7 1/2" radius.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I got to a point where I pick up a guitar and know by its feel if I want to play it. Going from my flamenco/classical, acoustic, to electrics is a bit of a challenge. But if you have the "right instrument", you know all is well by the feel of the instrument. Only you know what is best! :)

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I have guitars with just about every configuration imaginable, different fretboard radius, different numbers of frets, different neck shapes, different frets, Strats, LP shapes, Teles and a couple others, and have no problem rotating between any of them. For the more "extreme" differences it only takes me a few minutes to adapt. The only thing I really don't like is necks with a 7 1/2" radius.

Down with all 7 1/2" radius necks! :) I guess that I am not very adaptable. But that attribute can have positive ramifications. Like being married to the same person for over 55 years. :)

Tom

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
my 670 has what they call a 3-d shape neck

Scale: 648mm/25.5"
- a: Width at Nut 43mm (1.69)
- b: Width at Last Fret 58mm (2.28)
- c: Thickness at 1st 19mm (.748)
- d: Thickness at 12th 21mm (.862
- Radius: 400mm (15.78)

This thing has spoiled me for life

BigMike

Blues Oldie
I tend to play a different guitar every day, LP, PRS , Strat and Tele. But I probably do play the PRS more these days . Never notice any difference really although the LP has a lower action which I like for high tempo stuff.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I think (some of) you guys have too many guitars ;);). After all, how many girlfriends can you have and still expect to perform satisfactorily with all of them?

Girlfriends 1, honestly, trying to keep up with the maintenance is a pain. Her intonation goes out once a month but the action seems to be getting lower every year.

On the guitar front, the answer is 42, but to be fair, In have two 50's arch tops that I maybe play for a few minutes every 6 months or so.
I recently, through weird things in the universe and the cosmos aligning, got back an Epiphone 310 that I bought brand new in 1989, sold in 1994 because I needed money when my daughter was born. The guy who bought it , in the early 2000's sold it to an old buddy of mine, About 7 or 8 months ago I made a comment about it as I bought a '91 to replace it, my friend sent me my original back

I also have one that was a gift from Marty Schwartz and a few others that are either personable or nostalgic to me

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
I stopped keeping count at about 15, I figure if you know how many guitars you have, you don't have enough.

artyman

Fareham UK
I'm way behind you guys, my tally 2 Strats, 2 LP's, my Dad's old Acoustic, the original Spanish I bought when I was 18, and an Acoustic Bass that a friend gave me.

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours guitars"

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
There are now 3 different nita sig models now theres an all black top end ...

aleclee

Tribe of One
I know where you're coming from on string spacing. My strongest memory in that realm was about 15-20 years ago where the string spacing threw me off when going between my PRS and Strat. Somewhere along the way, I got over it.

Never had an issue going between scale lengths or neck carves. I've had everything from fat to skinny, asymmetrical and even trapezoidal! It takes (literally) a moment to adjust when going between fanned frets and straight frets.