DIgital Modeling Spark

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
I was shocked at how well it sounds

Agreed. Better than I expected! One could very easily get carried away with all the tone settings. My plan is to just find three or four that I like and use the amp mainly for playing along with backing tracks and songs.

Stinger22

Blues Junior
Agreed. Better than I expected! One could very easily get carried away with all the tone settings. My plan is to just find three or four that I like and use the amp mainly for playing along with backing tracks and songs.

Mine sits in my living room for those sudden urges to play. Did the same with the 4 presets, 3 for electric and 1 for acoustic. But even there I can sit with my number one clean on the edge just as I would with one of my tube amps and smile all night. I do sometimes get the urge to use the app just to play around with other amp models and effects and stuff, not a metal/shred player and that too fun. And the play along features, I do have that playing through my home entertainment audio not the Spark, is fun and actually gets me practicing. But I have it set now that I can just turn on and play.

Have fun

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I have one as well. It has become my practice go-to. It's easy to use and small enough that it is unobtrusive. I just leave it plugged in and sitting on the coffee table in my man-cave.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Most of my practicing is in a woMan-cave. Part of my motivation for the Spark was to be able to move my playing to another room when necessary. Some have expressed a wish that Spark would run on batteries to make it more portable. I have used a small battery powered practice amp and find it a pain to keep replacing or recharging batteries.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I'm losing my edge, I had to look up what a Spark 40 was :)
I guess unsubscribing to the hundred or so SPAM/GAS emails I was receiving has been fruitful? If not spending your money because you suddenly realize you want to retire in 10 years is fruitful.
I had not realized how much those email fed my GAS (or as I call it, staying current with the new technologies).

I'm set with amps for a while, I already have 2 tubes and 4 solid states (but two of those are cheap for travel and don't count :)

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Can the USB out of the Spark be used as a "pure" recording interface for the guitar, i.e. can it pass the unadulterated / unprocessed guitar signal through to the computer via USB?

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
well, I found the answer to my question by downloading the Spark User Manual:
"By default, the guitar signal is recorded after Amp/FX modeling. To record a dry guitar signal, use the SPARK app to bypass all Amp/FX modules."

I was curious about this because I was just looking at the newest version of Amplitube (5.0) and it looks like it has improved tremendously.
The Spark (on sale) isn't all that more expensive than many USB interfaces, so using a Spark for dual purposes like this could be a very good value and make a lot of sense for some people.

CaptOblivious

Blues Junior
well, I found the answer to my question by downloading the Spark User Manual:
"By default, the guitar signal is recorded after Amp/FX modeling. To record a dry guitar signal, use the SPARK app to bypass all Amp/FX modules."

I was curious about this because I was just looking at the newest version of Amplitube (5.0) and it looks like it has improved tremendously.
The Spark (on sale) isn't all that more expensive than many USB interfaces, so using a Spark for dual purposes like this could be a very good value and make a lot of sense for some people.

I have both Spark and Amplitude 5.01 - I use the Spark when I am away from home, for it's size it sounds excellent, at home it is in my workshop used as a blue tooth speaker :eek:. I really like Amplitude 5.0, the new interface is far better than earlier versions (I started at version 3) and the tones are really excellent, equal or, to my ear, slightly better than BiasFX. I use an iRig Stomp I/O to control the software and as my AI with the Amplitude 5 plugin in Reaper. If you purchase either IK Multimedia Axe Solo ($299) or Stomp ($349) bundle you will get Amplitude 5. So price wise you are about the same as the Spark.

If you choose Amplitude 5.0 they are working out the kinks of the new release, the Stomp was seamless with version 4 but in 5 it is quirky - as long as I start it after a clean computer boot up it works perfectly, if I want to use Amplitude 5 after the computer has been running awhile it gets sketchy connecting to the Stomp. They are aware, and I expect an update to be released soon.

Spark advantage is an all-in-one package that sounds excellent for it's size. With the Stomp I can travel with it, foot control of the software/pedals/looper/tuner makes it easier to use the software - no mouse clicking needed and no app needed to send a dry signal to Reaper. I find it easier to play with the software while on a computer compared to using my phone, but that's me YMMV.