RECORDING GEAR AND MICROPHONE

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Many thanks to one and all for the advice and recommendations.

Just placed my order via the fine folks at Sweetwater:
Boss Katana 100 Head MKII
Katana Head Head Cover
Presonus Audiovox iTwo USB Interface
Shure SM57 Microphone
Sennheiser e609 Microphone w/25' XLR cable

Merry Christmas and Happy Retirement to me.
Well........
Merry Christmas to you!:Beer:

e609 & SM 57, you got that covered.
Similar but yet very different mics.
Personally, I think the biggest benefit of the e609 is that you can hang it on the cab, with no need for a stand taking up floor space.
The 57 will do well on the amp or vocals.
:thumbup:

Have fun.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I don't have either of the units being discussed, but my son is a budding producer. He has quite a bit of experience with different units and DAWs. I was considering a Scarlett 2i2 myself. He told me they really nice pres and sound great but that they are not that durable. He recommended against the Focusrite products if you are going to be moving it around from location to location. If it is going to sit in one place, he says both are equally good in terms of sound quality.
That's an interesting observation.

I'd think that when you're comparing units in the $100 - $300 range the build quality would be similar.
What did he recommend as a more robust unit?

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
That's an interesting observation.

I'd think that when you're comparing units in the $100 - $300 range the build quality would be similar.

I believe he said he thought the Presonus units seemed to be a little sturdier. It may have been purely anecdotal evidence. He mentioned that he had a Focusrite 2i2 that he was using as a mobile recording station that he could take to someone else's location (this was pre-covid) and record. He said that after a couple of months of carrying it in his backpack, unpacking it, and repacking it, the case fell off and a couple of the ports were loose.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I believe he said he thought the Presonus units seemed to be a little sturdier. It may have been purely anecdotal evidence. He mentioned that he had a Focusrite 2i2 that he was using as a mobile recording station that he could take to someone else's location (this was pre-covid) and record. He said that after a couple of months of carrying it in his backpack, unpacking it, and repacking it, the case fell off and a couple of the ports were loose.
Got it!
I believe most of those units are considered "desk top", not the best for backpacks or gig bags, although I've seen them marketed for that.
I know I've seen some that are specifically built for mobility such as this one.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...L3SsuSRDCS81dCwHRm4aAqc_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
I recall Griff using a Roland unit in the past.
I have no experience with Roland so, I can't recommend them, however based upon your son's comments and some good old common sense, If I had plans to be mobile, I'd be doing some research prior to purchasing a travel interface.

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
I placed my order with Sweetwater on Thursday at 2 PM. I have been hearing nothing but horror stories of people who have sent/ordered items and they either take forever to get there or they never make it at all. I ordered with a fair amount of trepidation but ordered with Free Shipping anyway.

My packages were delivered at 11:21 AM today, Sunday. Hot damn, that is some fine service. Have never had an issue with Sweetwater. Haven't checked the boxes for what's in them but so far so good. Of course, one of the boxes is just the Katana 100 Head. We like stuff to sit for a day with COVID.

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I placed my order with Sweetwater on Thursday at 2 PM. I have been hearing nothing but horror stories of people who have sent/ordered items and they either take forever to get there or they never make it at all. I ordered with a fair amount of trepidation but ordered with Free Shipping anyway.

My packages were delivered at 11:21 AM today, Sunday. Hot damn, that is some fine service. Have never had an issue with Sweetwater. Haven't checked the boxes for what's in them but so far so good. Of course, one of the boxes is just the Katana 100 Head. We like stuff to sit for a day with COVID.

Please remember that there have been many people working day and night all year to get stuff picked, shipped and delivered as timely as possible. Be patient if your stuff does not get delivered as quickly as it used to. Every time one of these employees tests positive for covid, another handful that were in close proximity will miss work for about a week going through the testing process.

Elwood

Blues
Hey Moto, I use a PreSonus 68c and I love it. My first interface was a Mackie Onyx Artist. That is built like a tank and sounds great also (I wanted more I/O was my primary justification for the 68c). I use Mackie 3" monitors and they are heavy, made out of this old stuff called wood. I think most of their stuff is designed to be used.
I'm actually thinking for a portable recording setup I might see if I can get an iPad and the Mackie to make a light weight portable recording setup. Just need some sort of DC power pack, I'm sure there are zillions.
(btw: cheers :Beer: Bud !!! I hope you can find time to come hang out with the hooligans below soon! All the best!!!)

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
Just registered my Presonus Audiobox iTwo today so I can get the Free Bundle.

Questions:
I don't have to download anything today if I'm not ready to begin using the unit, right?

It says I am eligible for a free copy of Ableton Live Lite. Is that worthwhile and/or a good thing to have?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Just registered my Presonus Audiobox iTwo today so I can get the Free Bundle.

Questions:
I don't have to download anything today if I'm not ready to begin using the unit, right?

It says I am eligible for a free copy of Ableton Live Lite. Is that worthwhile and/or a good thing to have?
I don't think you need to download today now that you're registered.
Having said that, out of an abundance of caution, I'd download soon, just incase something gets screwed up or there's a hidden expiration date.

Ableton Lite?
That's interesting, buy presonus to get the free presonus DAW and they give you Abletono_O

Grabbing Ableton is like wearing a belt and suspenders, if you have Studio One, you probably won't use Ableton but, maybe you'll like it.

Most DAWS give you what you need, the upgraded versions will load you up with all sorts of extra goodies BUT.........

My experience is, you're best to pick one, get proficient with that DAW before you venture out to experiment with others.
This is particularly true if you are just starting out, there is a learning curve.

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
Grabbing Ableton is like wearing a belt and suspenders, if you have Studio One, you probably won't use Ableton but, maybe you'll like it.

Not to be contrary, but no it isn’t really.

Ableton can certainly record, but it’s strength is as a sequencer. You can embed (rewire, etc) Ableton into a session of you host DAW and have it’s playback sync’d to the host. It will then play whatever sequences (clips, regions, events, whatever you want to call them) through your host DAW, whenever you want them to.

I’ve used it a few times, mostly as gee whiz kinda thing. Not super useful to me, but as Moto said, you may find a use for it.