No Cost Training

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Recording is much like guitar playing:
As beginners, we're all distracted by all the gear, plugins and such, just like buying pedals.

We all landed on BGU so we could learn how to play, then we went gear crazy.

As more and more people get into recording/mixing, It's the same thing.
DAWs, Plugins, Interfaces and on and on.

I know I've made many mistakes and wasted lots of money on recording gear before I understood the basics.

My advise to anyone headed down this path is to get educated on the basics before you go bonkers on plugins etc......

There are lots of folks offering on-line training courses and thousands of YouTubes that can be helpful.
Again, just like guitar training, it works best if you follow some sort of path rather than hunt and peck YouTube.

I've purchased several courses and learn from each.

Having said that, I found this VERY COMPREHENSIVE series of videos on YouTube for FREE!

The presentation is rather dry so, you need to be in the right frame of mind to get thru the course but,
It's FREE and it moves you thru all the basics without hunting the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60vHoJexe-GT01yAl6ddeGeY2MLoDsAJ

Hope you find it helpful.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Made it through the first 5 lessons. The guy sure goes on doesn't he? One thing is really clear. This guy know his stuff.
With 31 lessons in 62 parts, it's gonna take a while to get through it all.

Thanks for the link!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Made it through the first 5 lessons. The guy sure goes on doesn't he? One thing is really clear. This guy know his stuff.
With 31 lessons in 62 parts, it's gonna take a while to get through it all.

Thanks for the link!
Man, I thought I was long winded!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm up to lesson #8 "Pre Mix Prep-Evaluating Tracks" and I think I'm beginning to understand why I hate new music.

This guy is so over engineering the stuff he's working on that it doesn't seem to matter what the original artist did or wanted you to hear, the engineer can change things and emphasize instruments or parts (or add things that weren't there in the first place. Reverse Snare???) the way HE/SHE wants regardless of how it was originally played. I guess in some cases that's needed to "fix" parts that weren't played as intended, but man IMHO that should be used very sparingly.

I'm gonna stick with it for now, but I'm ready to hear about getting the parts that you want (Vocals & solo) to stand out from the rest of the mix.

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Fully behind the Cap'n on this one. Beware of the extensive marketing some plugin company's get up to if you are just starting out, been there and got the T shirt (and a hell of a lot of plugins I never use!). Interesting course.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Wise words from the Cap'n. Be sure to heed them if you're just starting out in recording & mixing. You'll save yourself the price of a good guitar in the first year. Honestly, the plugins that come with most DAW's nowadays are all you need.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Wise words from the Cap'n. Be sure to heed them if you're just starting out in recording & mixing. You'll save yourself the price of a good guitar in the first year. Honestly, the plugins that come with most DAW's nowadays are all you need.
Right, accept all the other ones I had to have:ROFLMAO:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Right, accept all the other ones I had to have
Hahahaha!!!! Since I made the statement you just quoted, I have purchased three 29.99 dollar plugins from Plugin Alliance.:(:( How could I not at that price???:whistle::whistle::sneaky:

I know, I know........, practice what you preach.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I did try not to. Honest.:D

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hahahaha!!!! Since I made the statement you just quoted, I have purchased three 29.99 dollar plugins from Plugin Alliance.:(:( How could I not at that price???:whistle::whistle::sneaky:

I know, I know........, practice what you preach.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I did try not to. Honest.:D
I'm really, really trying to buy only if I've identified a need and the plugin solves it...or claims to!

Example:
Over time I've developed a problem with sibilance in my vocals.
I've sorted thru my mic collection to find the one that minimizes that but I still need help in the mix process.

Second, I would like something to help me create backup vocals with harmony.
I've tried a few approaches that have failed or just to complicated, I'm on to the next one!

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Right, I've explored that one and all the reviews say it's not very user friendly.
I've also done a little in Melodyne but, that's another program I just haven't figured out yet.

Isotope Nectar does harmonies but, you need to step up to the full version which is pricey.

I found this guy, he's a little bit eccentric but, he claims his FREE plugin will make harmonies.
http://www.airwindows.com/?s=ADT

Last edited:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I don't get it with the plugins. Why not just sing harmony?
If you listen to any of my songs Doug, where I sing harmony, with me being the only voice it sounds very 'samey', and gets quite boring quite quickly. With these plugins you can add so much more colour to them, and even have female backing singers which is a pretty cool and pleasant change.