Miscellaneous Guitar Tool Sets...

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
an article from Premier Guitar about 5 Guitar Tool sets...

5 Guitar Tool sets..

the one I have isn't even mentioned....GIGmate...love it...

something that every player shouldn't leave home without...later.

cowboy

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I have the Stew-Mac screwdriver set (no wrenches, though). My daughter-in-law got it for me a couple years ago as a Christmas present. I would never have thought to buy it myself, but I have to admit, there is a lot of practicality packed into a small package.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've got the Cruz Tools set (first on the list) and have used ever since I got my first electric. I've, recently, been buying some of the MusicNomad tools and have been really impressed with them. They seem to be really good quality without the StewMac price tag, and they've come out with some innovative tools (like their bridge pin puller).

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I dunno...every one of the tools in the first kit are sitting in my garage except for the capo (which is clipped to my 335) and the string winder (which is in a drawer in my music room) so all I'd need is a case to put them in.

The only thing I've ever bought that was guitar-specific was a StewMac Double-Edge Fret file (because concave-edge files are hard to find), a 12-inch radius sanding block and a set of jewelers files to cut nuts and saddles. And nut and saddle files weren't the StewMac $90.00 version but rather the Home Depot, off-the-rack $14.95 version.

I've set up several guitars with these tools and both the tools and the guitars work just fine.

The thing I've noticed with guitar related tools is that most of what anyone would need (with the exception of things like radius sanding blocks and such) are just basic tools that have been re-branded as "Luthier Tools" and tend to often cost quite a bit more than their common counterparts.

It's kind of a pet peeve.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
All I got to do is look in the trunk of my 72 Javelin and all my storage drawers----I could more than likely come up with 5 sets of each one---
but manual string winders went out of style 20 years ago when they came out with the battery powered screw driver--I got one that you just put it in your Harbor Freight screw driver and push the button---(cuts back on that carpral tunnel thing). By the way you can make your own just sepprate the handle of your manual string winder- throw the handle,away- and stick the tuner cover in your screw driver or drill and push the button..

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
Big fan of the Dunlap 65 kit, use it all the time for restringing and set ups, great tool kit all in one place, no need to dig through drawers. Action gauge and fret collars are excellent, just a solid bit of kit IMHO.