New Guy

HaroldWorrall

Blues Newbie
I am delighted to be a part of the forum. I am 74 tomorrow and loving the blues guitar. I have played guitar, as a hobby for a long time. I have played country, folk, some flamenco and have focused mostly on acoustic picking styles. Last birthday my wife bought an Ibanez hollowbody with twin humbuckers for me and I started by learning various scales, the five boxes and playing along with various backing tracks on YouTube. I also have a group that I jam with on occasion. I am really enjoying the blues style and getting Griff's emails each day. It has really helped.

If anyone has advice on what helped you jump forward with the blues let me know. Thanks in advance.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Welcome to the forum, amigo! Take a look around and join in the fun.

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to the forum Harold, it’s awesome having you with us! BTW, Happy Birthday!!!:)

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Welcome Harold! We have a few things in common. My grandfathers middle name is Harold, and so is mine! :) If you would like some information I have created about flamenco guitar, please send me a private message (the envelope icon in the top red bar, which is called conversations) with your eMail address.

It is nice to have goals on your music journey. Consider what you are interested in and let us know. Trying to focus is not easy, and having a good introduction to the Blues is very important. What course or courses do you have? Taking one step towards your goal at a time is important. I suggest that you do not try to "over do it", by trying too many things at the same time. Pick a path and take it. That is not easy! When you can accomplish that then you will be your own teacher! :cool:

Tom

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hi Harold,
Welcome to the Forum.
I had been playing (strumming) classic rock/70's folk music (think Eagles, Arlo Guthrie & CSN) for around 50 years when I decided to learn to play blues lead & that's when I found Griff (10 years ago now).
I piddled around with several courses for a while, but once I got serious and finished my first pass through Blues Guitar Unleashed, I started to feel like i was getting a handle on things. At that point I started working on Soloing Without Scales and between BGU & SWS I started to be able to put together solos. Not great stuff by any means, but I could see that I was making progress, and I got some idea of where I need to go next.
As with most guitarists, I'm never really satisfied with my playing, but I can now get up at a jam and at least play something that doesn't sound really bad... I think... Maybe...

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Welcome to the forum Harold. Have fun on your blues trip.(y) I agree with Mike regarding Soloing Without Scales. You should understand what Griff teaches in this course, seeing as how you already know some scales and all the boxes.(y)

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
:whistle:
I am delighted to be a part of the forum. I am 74 tomorrow and loving the blues guitar. I have played guitar, as a hobby for a long time. I have played country, folk, some flamenco and have focused mostly on acoustic picking styles. Last birthday my wife bought an Ibanez hollowbody with twin humbuckers for me and I started by learning various scales, the five boxes and playing along with various backing tracks on YouTube. I also have a group that I jam with on occasion. I am really enjoying the blues style and getting Griff's emails each day. It has really helped.

If anyone has advice on what helped you jump forward with the blues let me know. Thanks in advance.
Welcome Harold. Blues Guitar Unleashed 2.0 might be a good choice. And practice every day. :rolleyes::whistle:

MarcV

Blues Junior
Welcome Harold! This is great learning site. There is a ton of material here and sometimes its overwhelming . :sneaky:Blues guitar unleased and 5 easy blues solos, 4 note solo are great places to start to dive into the things. The course that really "turned it around" for me. (i put this in quotes because still have long long way to go) was the "How to Improvise the Blues Solos" course. This was aha moment in that it gave me some confidence that I could actually sometimes (not always) come up with some ideas while soloing.