Good news for me

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Here is what a great Doctor and healer are.................

I have been seeing an ortho for a while, done the PT thing multiple times, following Dr's orders, with my primary consulted every step of the way. MY ortho finally said a little while ago, he wants to be straight with me.

He said he has done what he knows to do, he has gone over the MR's, all 4 of them, What he sees, I think he described it as a mild build up tear in the rotator cuff that should have healed and with PT be as good as new. but I keep having recurring issues.

His next step is surgery, real surgery cut into it, not that orthoscopic thing or what ever you call it, but, before that, he wants a second opinion from someone who specializes in shoulders. This guy sucked up his ego and asked me to get a second opinion....................thats class and a hell of a Dr.

Been seeing the shoulder specialty guy, he said he would call the build up moderate, not mild, but he doesnt fault my original ortho because shoulders are his thing. He gave me options, then I asked what he would do if it was his shoulder.

He wanted a course of steroid, properly placed in the shoulder, he went in through the back where my last one was straight down in the shoulder. He wanted a change in the way PT was done and actually called the therapist to talk to them. So it has been less focus on strength and motion, and more on stretching in certain directions, with hand therapy. He also added some neck exercises as he is seeing some build up of arthritis there and wanted the whole area worked on

They had me bring in two of my guitars so they could see how I wore them, never really realized I wear them differently. And based my therapy around that and motorcycle riding.

After 90 days, no signs of slipping back, I am off the meloxican, the nerve in my thumb doesnt give me pain when I pick up a coffee cup, and I am able to move my thumb more to a proper position on the neck of my guitars

He wants another three months, and depending on if it stablizes to where I am happy, or if it back tracks, he will order something called a contrast MRI to make a decision.

I know some people hate Kaiser, but me, the attitude and humbleness of the doctors is amazing............I have never had a Dr suggest he may not have the answer and wants help, that blew me away, but for now, my arm finally goes over my head

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Great news Mark. Keep after it. It's good to be able to trust the people you do business with and health is about the most important business there is.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Great news Mark. Keep after it. It's good to be able to trust the people you do business with and health is about the most important business there is.

What I really liked, is they respected my wishes for no narcotics, zero, nothing stronger really than an Advil. While I don't do any drugs, and rarely drink, I know for a fact I have the gene to have issues. No one in my immediate family are heavy drinkers, but I have enough cousins, Aunts, Uncles who are functioning alcoholics.................so narcos is a terrifying thing for me

My very first Dr. kept insisting on oxy's or norcos, I fired his butt real fast. These guys, one of them is similar to me in using natural nature healing techniques, respected my pain management through meditation, and proper diet supplements.

I am not a hippy dippy flower child, and I believe in modern medicine, I just don't think a manufactured drug should be first choice. Yes, they have their place, and they are important, but the body has some natural healing property.

I learned when I had the colonoscopy, all my friends came out of that nightshade or whatever you call it about 30 minutes later. Me, since I dont use any kind of drugs usually, 3 hours later I was still sitting on the couch staring into space, they had to have Christine come back and help me get dressed

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
This all sounds great! :)
Glad to hear you're on your way.

I'm sure we could all tell stories of doctors making bad decisions.
My wife went thru that with bad knees and now after two years, my daughter finally found a doctor that seems to be on the right track for an ankle injury.

About reaching for the prescription pad:
I gotta tell ya, It concerns me greatly, when I'm sitting in the waiting room watching a parade of pharmaceutical sales reps marching in and out ahead of the patients.

Anyhow, I hope thing continue to progress for you.

Best to ya.:Beer:

moto

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
It sounds promising Mark. I will attest that arthroscopic surgery is useful in certain situations. I wasn't able to lift my right arm all the way up because of an impingement in my shoulder. No problems whatsoever since. :Beer:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
It sounds promising Mark. I will attest that arthroscopic surgery is useful in certain situations. I wasn't able to lift my right arm all the way up because of an impingement in my shoulder. No problems whatsoever since. :Beer:

I already had that, it helped for a little while, then it went right back to having an issue

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
That's great to hear Mark.:) Did you show the doctor how you beat the living daylights out of the guitar when you strummed??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
its not my fault I saw the sex pistols when I was young, and then there was kiss, of course poison, dokken

Beating up a les paul and using enough hair spray to destroy the ozone layer, the 80's were glorious.......................a little hard on guitars, but glroious

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I was curious what my wife would say about your post so I had her read it. Her reaction actually surprised me. She thought that the approach your surgeon took is exactly what the PT was supposed to do. The therapist should have assessed your posture with the guitar and then assessed the joints above and below the injury to determine if they were being impacted as well. She thinks that in general there is an over-emphasis on strength conditioning and not enough on determining pain sources. She actually wanted to know if the surgeon had ever been to PT school. Glad that you got it straightened out!

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I was curious what my wife would say about your post so I had her read it. Her reaction actually surprised me. She thought that the approach your surgeon took is exactly what the PT was supposed to do. The therapist should have assessed your posture with the guitar and then assessed the joints above and below the injury to determine if they were being impacted as well. She thinks that in general there is an over-emphasis on strength conditioning and not enough on determining pain sources. She actually wanted to know if the surgeon had ever been to PT school. Glad that you got it straightened out!

Wouldnt surprise me, he was very straight forward, and had me standing in positions how I play, and pictures on both motorcycles. All I know, it seems to be working,a nd I prefer POT over getting cut up

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Wouldnt surprise me, he was very straight forward, and had me standing in positions how I play, and pictures on both motorcycles. All I know, it seems to be working,a nd I prefer POT over getting cut up

In a really interesting bit of irony, I happen to be peer-reviewing a study for a medical journal this morning. It examined empathy toward patients experienced by medical students versus a control group. They used a survey and MRI brain scans to determine the neurological effect of being exposed to doctor-patient scenarios designed to elicit empathy. One of the key conclusions: "...it suggests that medical students are less explicitly engaged in inferring the mental state of patients and more engaged in inferring the mental state of doctors, "

It sounds like you got one of the good ones who can infer your mental state!

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
In a really interesting bit of irony, I happen to be peer-reviewing a study for a medical journal this morning. It examined empathy toward patients experienced by medical students versus a control group. They used a survey and MRI brain scans to determine the neurological effect of being exposed to doctor-patient scenarios designed to elicit empathy. One of the key conclusions: "...it suggests that medical students are less explicitly engaged in inferring the mental state of patients and more engaged in inferring the mental state of doctors, "

It sounds like you got one of the good ones who can infer your mental state!

Doesnt surprise me. I believe, really believe, social media and electronics had had a devastating effect on the younger generations. Everything from being able to process and come to conclusions, to mental instability.

The fact they are seeing changes and what I would call a patient /Dr disconnect in the new generation makes sense.

I have an employee, she posts pictures on instagram, she is 25. She will take 25 pictures to pick the one, if it doesn't get 50 likes in an hour, she gets upset and deletes it, this is her validation in life. You also have young people who create ways to make themselves feel and look like a God, anything from wanting a nobel peace prize because they posted some quote on instagram, to wanting a living wage because they breathe and deserve it.............................so yeah, I can see a disconnect if the patient doesn't fulfill that need for them

But, this is in all occupations, not just this one.

It would be cool to see a comparison, based on the patients gender and race, of the reaction in helping a patient electronically distance wise, vs helping a patient in person, I would bet dollars to doughnuts, older doctors react with more empathy in person, younger, electronically