Printer problem

artyman

Fareham UK
I was printing a document for a DVD cover for something we have been working on for the Retirement Homes that we usually visit for Christmas. Then the printer just stopped with all the LED ink indicators flashing. It's an Epson 2100 Stylus Photo, pretty ancient as I've had if for sixteen years, but hasn't let me down until now. I've tried pressing various sequences of buttons to no avail, I even tried rebooting the PC, but the lights are still flashing when I turn it on. HELP !

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Artyman, ZZZEnDog's suggestion is a good one - if it won't turn off, just power it off at the wall. Also, I found these two comments on a printer forum:

On the "Epson Stylus Photo 2100/2200 series", if the "Power Light" is off and the "Paper Light" and "Ink Lights 1 thru 7" are all on a HIGH SPEED BLINK [ high speed blink equals a 0.1 sec's on + 0.1 sec's off repetition], that actually indicates a FATAL ERROR service condition. If all 8 lights are actually doing that high speed blink at the same time, then your printer is actually in that fatal error service condition. The fatal error, usually inducates a problem in either the carriage assembly, a home position location problem, or a paper feed motor problem. There's no way for me to know what is wrong with your printer, but the two most common problems are a DIRTY and or DRY "Carriage Assembly", or a DIRTY "Encoder Strip/Sensor Strip". You may want to clean and service those two areas [if your printer is actually in that fatal error condition], just to eliminate those common problems..

On the other hand, if the power light is off and the paper light is blinking alternatly with ink lights 1-7, rather than all 8 lights blinking at the same time [as in the high speed blink pattern], that would indicate a MAINTENANCE REQUEST ERROR. The maintenance request error is actually a "Waste Ink Ink Pad Error" and usually your remedy is to replace the waste ink pad/pads with a new one/ones and then reset the "Internal Waste Ink Pad Counter". If you just reset the counter and don't replace the pads, then your printers old pads will eventually overflow and normally start leaking ink out the bottom of your printer. You can see exploded parts diagrams for most epson ink jet printers and can also check on possible parts ordering, by Compass Micro Inc, at http://www.compassmicro.com/parts_select.cfm . Some people actually wash the ink out of the old pads, by holding them under running cold water. Then they simply dry them out and reinstall them back into their printer. The choice on what to actually do, is yours to make

here's the URL https://fixyourownprinter.com/posts/29098

but it sounds to me that your venerable old Epson printer is ready for the retirement home. I've used Epson printers myself for many years and I swear by them. They've never given me an ounce of trouble, but I've never had one this old either.

artyman

Fareham UK
Thanks guys, Tried the On/off and leave off, that didn't do anything, I'll pursue the other avenues later.

straightblues

Blues Junior
Wow 16 years. That is amazing. I usually have to buy one every three or four years. Make sure you check the cost of ink before you buy a printer. They seem to give the printers away these days then once they have you hooked they overcharge you for ink cartridges.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Wow 16 years. That is amazing. I usually have to buy one every three or four years. Make sure you check the cost of ink before you buy a printer. They seem to give the printers away these days then once they have you hooked they overcharge you for ink cartridges.

about ten years ago, I did the math on printers back then for the ink, was curious, came out to something like $500 to $600 a gallon

kinda puts gas into perspective

CaptOblivious

Blues Junior
Switched to an Epson EcoTank multi unit a few years ago and am still on the original fill of the ink tanks with the same usage. I used to purchase new ink jet cartridges, usually a black cartridge, a few times a year for the previous Epson multi unit. The ecotank models are far more cost-effective.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
16 years is an amazing amount of time for trouble free printing. Count your blessings! As others have stated... sometimes it seems like it may be cheaper to buy a new printer than buying ink!

Good luck!

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
Regarding prices of ink cartridges, there's a market of renewed cartridges which sell for a lesser price than new ones, but I've heard people say that these renewed cartridges can send your printer into early retirement :mad:

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Regarding prices of ink cartridges, there's a market of renewed cartridges which sell for a lesser price than new ones, but I've heard people say that these renewed cartridges can send your printer into early retirement :mad:
Yep, those renewed cartridges are not worth the money you save if you want to keep your printer working. I spent 25 years in desktop computer support at universities and colleges, and it seemed like every time somebody bought one of those refills I got a call for a printer failure.

ronico

rainyislandblues
Switched to an Epson EcoTank multi unit a few years ago and am still on the original fill of the ink tanks with the same usage. I used to purchase new ink jet cartridges, usually a black cartridge, a few times a year for the previous Epson multi unit. The ecotank models are far more cost-effective.
I've got the ET-2760 epson and I love the tank system. Great results and seems thrifty on the ink, after years of plugging $55 cartridges into the old HP(y)