Veteran's Day

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
To all of my Brothers and Sisters, we served with Pride, and My thanks to all.

History of Veterans Day
It was at 11am on November 11, 1918 that a temporary peace, or armistice, was signed and the fighting during World War I came to an end. A year later President Woodrow Wilson announced that November 11th would be called Armistice Day in the United States.

In 1938 Armistice Day became a national federal holiday. It was a day dedicated to world peace and held in honor of the veterans of World War I.

In 1954 Congress decided to change the day to Veteran's Day. This was because they wanted to honor the veterans of all wars including World War II and the Korean War.

There were a few more changes to the day. In 1968 the day was moved to the fourth Monday of November. However, it was later changed back to November 11th in 1978 by President Gerald Ford.

Fun Facts About Veterans Day

• Note that the World War I armistice was signed on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. That should help you to remember the date that Veterans Day is observed.
  • There were around 21.8 million veterans in the United States as of 2010.
  • There are around 9 million veterans over the age of 65.
  • Around 1.6 million veterans are women.
  • General George Patton, the famous World War II general, was born on November 11th.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Don't forget to reenlist and enjoy the benefits! ;) That was one of our favorite sayings. :) Now we get to enter National Parks for free, if we have the proper ID. How do you get the proper ID? :confused: Presenting your DD 214 is not acceptable. :eek:

Tom

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
My dad served in Korea. He passed away in 2001. I still miss him terribly. RIP dad. My respects to all that served.

artyman

Fareham UK
Some years ago I went with my brother and my son to visit the battlefields of WW1 where my grandfather served. He was injured both at Ypres and The Somme, and was discharged as a result. This happened before he was even old enough to officially enlist, as he like so many, lied about his age. I did this video as a tribute.

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Wow, Artyman, that is so moving and respectful. Got me thinking of my father who served with distinction for the Royal Artillery in Africa and Normandy during the 1940's. Thank you .

WilliamEnright

Blues Junior
I have a relative in the family tree who is credited (?) with being the first American serviceman killed in WWI. His photo is like looking in a mirror. brings it home that they did something for others.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Late to the party. Big thank you to all the Veterans, especially those I call Shipmate.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Get yourself a VA-issued ID card. That will work.
https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/vic/

Thank you for the link. It seems strange that they want your social security number. How about your credit card number? Add the recent photo, and all the rest. Yes, that is the government. :)

For the last few years there have been places in the San Francisco Bay Area that will say veterans on veterans day can have a free breakfast or coffee (Starbucks), etc. I never asked how they determine you are a vet.

Tom

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I probably said this before---but---I am glad I did it (I learned A LOT-ABOUT A LOT)---but I would never do it again.---Nor would I ever ask someone else to do it--when the enemy comes to the U.S.A., I am "ALL IN..---just sayin':Beer: