Muddy Water

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
OK probably not the one you're thinking of.

Given the times, and the storms that many of us have endured of late, and that I was missing my late younger brother with whom I used to play this tune I decided to do a soup to nuts as @PapaRaptor has termed it. I just always called it playing with myself, er I mean by myself.

This is a Phil Rosenthal composition that I decomposed and recomposed. My brother and I used to play it at bluegrass gatherings. Seldom Scene had a major NewGrass recording of it, and Johnny Cash had a very Johnny Cash version of it in the mid '70s.

Anyway, >>Here it Is<<. Ready of not.

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
Thanks all. I don't like my singing voice, so I typically don't sing, or when I do I tend to leave it farther back in the mix. Not particularly good or professional, but it's what I do.

I typically use an ancient Shure PE 585 (a very high impedance dynamic) for my vocals as it tends to smooth them out a bit. I also use it for mouth harp (I can't spell harmonica) players.

I've tried various dynamics and condensers that I have or have borrowed, from very expensive to ultra inexpensive and was never satisfied with the results on my voice.

Enter a new element. I've used an SM7B many times, I do own one, but I got the chance to try a PD70 from Presonus, and Man, I really like it, and at bout 1/3 the price of an SM7B, and YES I bought it.

The PD70 was used for my vocals, and I used it on the acoustic guitar along with a Rode NT2 in a figure 8. I used the RODE NT1 for the little bit of Mandolin in the beginning ( a nod to my brother who could really play it). The bass is a P style knock off from GF into 11R.

I decided to forgo 11R for the guitar just for grins, as I really was only doing this song for therapeutic reasons anyway, so I mic'd my Twin Reverb for some of it, mic'd my Mustang GT 200 (with a Super Reverb patch) and also did a di of the same patch from the Mustang. I found it interesting.

No, the guitar work was not stellar. I had much more interesting licks recorded, but I felt it didn't fit the feel of the song. I didn't want it to be about the guitar, I wanted it to be about the feeling.

Drums were played on my Edrum kit triggering Superior Drummer3.

Oh the Tamb was a loop and the Rhodes is a Rhodes patch in Velvet that I played.

Anyway, that's the way it is.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Thanks for the breakdown.
Looks like you've got all the bases covered.

Currently my SM7B is my go-to on vocals however, I also like my AEA KU5A ribbon.
Over time my voice has developed more sibilance and the KU5A does the best job of minimizing that.

Sounds like the PD70 gets your vocals done very nicely.

I rarely use a condenser anymore.

I do like to mic my amps but, sometimes it's just too noisy

You're a very talented man!