Suhr classic s antique

amv74

Blues Newbie
Here is my 1st world problem, can buy a suhr classic s antique at a really good price used, have choice one with rosewood sss or a maple hss. I had been looking for maple sss, but given what i can get one fore, and i really want one, willing to compromise, any thoughts on the sss vs hss and maple vs rosewood? Know its subjective, can’t play before, it doesn’t have to be one is better than the other, just some thoughts that i may not have or experiences. Thank you

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I'm kind of a purest. Strats are SSS. I'm Suhr either one you choose will be an excellent guitar and very fun to play! You can't go wrong! :Beer:

amv74

Blues Newbie
I'm kind of a purest. Strats are SSS. I'm Suhr either one you choose will be an excellent guitar and very fun to play! You can't go wrong! :Beer:

I am sure i will be too, why i labeled this a first world problem, lol, I do think SSS, but am looking to get as traditional as possible, i first thought maple, but then saw a montage of great strat players, and all but Clapton had rosewood...personally, i have mostly rosewood and ebony, i do have a suhr classic t with maple and like that. So preference, eh, i can go either way, i do have fender strat with rosewood, that was another reason i was leaning maple

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
I agree with MM, you can't go wrong here.

Normally I'm a SSS guy when it comes to Strats (and floating trem too while we're at it) but when you already have that angle covered and plenty of rosewood and ebony too... on the other hand you already have a t-style Suhr with maple so maybe now its time to get the rosewood?

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I prefer maple, but my preference for SSS over HSS is much stronger. My thinking goes like this ... if you want Humbuckers, get a Les Paul, don't bastardize a good Strat by sticking a Humbucker in it so it doesn't sound like a Strat or a Les Paul. I know many will disagree, but personally when I see a Strat with a humbucker in it I don't even regard it as a Strat ... I don't know what it is, but a Strat it is not.

And before you turn your flamethrower on me, I feel the same way about Teles. But I have two very bastardized Teles with humbuckers in them. They don't sound like Teles they are just shaped like Teles. I don't call either of them Teles. One is my Twangocaster (dual-lipstick buckers) and the other is my Fiftyscaster (Gold foil buckers).
IMG_0442.JPG
Untitled.jpg
ALNICO V GOLD FOILS.jpg

I feel the same way about screwing up a good free-floating trem.

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
HSS would be more versatile as long as you like the "SS" tones, otherwise get both!

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I have to admit that when it comes to a choice of maple or rosewood fretboards I generally think that lighter color guitars look great with maple and darker color guitars and bursts look better with rosewood with the possible exception of Blackie. Who only has one or two strats so you need both if tone is a thought? And I like the short scale for humbucker pups so those are on Gibson's. :Beer:

Last edited:

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Given your collection, I'd go with the maple fretboard with the humbucker.

I will humbly disagree with RR relative to single coil / Stratocaster purity. With all due respect to Leo Fender, just because that's what he chose to do isn't gospel. Further, this isn't a Fender regardless of how "Classic" the Suhr is.

At the end of the day, if you don't like the sound it's not going to be outrageously expensive to get a new pickguard and a matching single coil for the bridge position, if you don't like the humbucker tones.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
I used to think I was a purest, but have realized that I love the humbucker sound. The strat however is so comfortable and fits me so well that I usually gravitate towards it when playing live. Hence, when I bought my Suhr modern bengal burst strat I got the HSH config. Though at one time I would have considered it heretical, I love it and can play it while standing all day.

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I will humbly disagree with RR relative to single coil / Stratocaster purity..
Zzzen Dog, meet me in the street at high noon! :ROFLMAO::D:p

amv74, play what you want. My preferences are just my preferences ... and my attitude is my affliction ...
no need to pay any attention to me.
:):)
shoot-foot.gif

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I'm kind of a purest. Strats are SSS.
This is pretty much my opinion as well. I'm the guy that plays his Strat predominately in position 2 (bridge and middle) so I actually use the single bridge. Strats should be SSS. I think that's really the only thing I can think of where I'm a cork-sniffer. But to put that cork in perspective, I'm also the guy that puts 5 strings on the trem so that it doesn't float. So, in the words of Doc, it appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

The maple vs rosewood debate doesn't mean a lot to me because I can't hear the difference in them, so that's a mostly aesthetic preference to me. I do feel like the maple necks I have are harder than the rosewood necks, but it's not like I'm driving nails into them, so it goes back to how they look. I think the aesthetically perfect strat is surf green with a maple board. However, I also have a 3-color burst with a rosewood board, and it's awful good looking.

amv74

Blues Newbie
Thank you for your responses, i actually did get maple with the sss, i have lots of humbuckers with rosewood, so i really wanted more traditional, quite frankly, and yes this is lame, the humbucker looked wrong, it would drive me nuts till i changed it, so i just went with what i wanted, turned out they had slightly older classic antique with the even c medium neck profile i dug so much on my classic t, so that was really the deciding factor, but thank you for all your input and not slamming me too much. They will match with my slightly reliced sg with p 90s custom.... now i just need a JM, lol

ervjohns

Blues Junior
I’m sure you will love it! I got a Olympic white shur srat with maple and HSS. The only thing I regret is not getting a rosewood fingerboard. In any case it is a great guitar!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I think you made a wise decision. Pics will be nice when it arrives.
My main Srat looks like it is SSS but it isn't. And it has all of the sounds of a stock SSS as well as those of a HSH.
8339693023_a9c207a31b_o.png

amv74

Blues Newbie
here is the suhr classic antique. and a mij wolfgang i found in pawn shop in the middle of no where...i had to save it

Attachments

• BCF571A3-3EDB-4A42-99AE-BD88A1E2F422.jpeg
    BCF571A3-3EDB-4A42-99AE-BD88A1E2F422.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 255E0D34-C164-424A-B078-0EDF37BFBA21.jpeg
    255E0D34-C164-424A-B078-0EDF37BFBA21.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 14