Making the most of Shelter-in-Place

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Well, Boudler county is not quite at shelter-in-place but restaurants and non-essential stores are closed and I have been working from home for a week (I'm one of the lucky ones that can still own a paycheck).

I needed a mental break, so decided to restart my Danelectro inspired baritone today.

I got the neck close to finished, it will be fully painted but I wanted to try to make a laminated neck for a future project where the wood will be showing. I think I like how it came out so far. Another technique I'm trying is ebonizing. The fretboard is red oak that I brushed with tea then a solution made from iron wool in vinegar. It's not as black as what I was shooting for, maybe a 2nd coat will help. I used it once on a ukulele build with a walnut fretboard and it worked better on walnut.
It blackens after several minutes, that's why I didn't see the thumbprint on the back of the neck until I took a picture. It's not very deep so it will sand out (and I'm planning on painting the next black)

IMG_20200322_163955.jpg
IMG_20200322_164006.jpg

Because the neck will be stained painted black, I may leave the fretboard lighter as it is.

By the way, this is a regular scale but short neck baritone. I wanted it to fit in a regular guitar gig bag. This means that the bridge will be pretty far back and the neck not have a ton of access above the 15th fret.

I also roughed out the pickguard, it's inspired by the Danelectro seal shape, of course, wouldn't have it any other way.

I also glued the front to the body frame. Masonite over plywood frame is how those Danelectros were built, so trying to stick to the original "tonewoods"

IMG_20200322_173210.jpg

I probably won't work on it again until next weekend. I hope to fret the neck, cut the neck pocket and glue the back on next time.

I'm still trying to figure out how best to align the pickup mounting screws in the back with the pickup slots in the top.

Oh and Llyod, I grabbed a piece of aluminium and started shaping a nut :) I forgot to take pictures

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I think the neck is a maple/poplar/red oak/poplar/maple sandwich
Not enough color difference between poplar and maple, but I knew I was going to paint it.

DesmoDog

Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy
I started reading this and forgot what forum I was on! Have fun with it, I'm hoping to put more time into mine today but we'll see. I was awarded a mandatory vacation this week so I should have time to get something done!

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Impressing :thumbup: Sure beats what I am doing---trying to figure out why 1 --1# bag of pinto beans has
283 beans in it and the other one has 339. As soon as I do that, then I am going to start on the 5# bags of rice. :)

Last edited:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
You know how many beans are in a can of Cambell's Pork & Beans? 239. Because if you had any more it would be 240! Get it?
Naaaaah; not quite you got to clue me in on that one. :) Please respond quickly I will be laying in bed all night trying to figure it out.:)

ronico

rainyislandblues
It's ok BCB, I was clueless too. And cudos to the Captain for the enlightenment. I think.

Slofinger

Blues Junior
It’s tough keeping up with the gas enablers around here as well as the fellow builders, but I try. I will do a follow up when it is done.

Attachments

• 52F085B9-7D15-45A3-BD67-EA702933CBFE.jpeg
    52F085B9-7D15-45A3-BD67-EA702933CBFE.jpeg
    2.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 795F0295-F37C-4696-B372-DC897D64337A.jpeg
    795F0295-F37C-4696-B372-DC897D64337A.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 25202396-970B-47C0-A2DF-97A4DA514A4F.jpeg
    25202396-970B-47C0-A2DF-97A4DA514A4F.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 22

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
shelter in place didn't last long enough for this slacker, but I've been working on it on and off this summer. this is where I'm at, sorry for the crappy pic. The back is cream by the way.
IMG_20201029_152441.jpg

The good news is that I didn't mess up the fret calculations, so it actually plays the right notes :) The bad news is that even though it's hard to tell, I completely messed up the tuning machine hole placement and it looks terrible when they are installed. so my hobby for thanksgiving week will be to strip the neck back to bare wood, plug the holes, redrill and repaint :)

Does everyone have a dano with the concentric pots? I hear the tone pot is close to useless, so I'm thinking about not going for the concentric 1M/100K pots but maybe going with a single tone, single volume (250K pot???)
I do want to keep the Dano style switch where it shorts either pickup and puts them in series in the middle position.