Amazon Basics Guitar Pedals

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Yep, Jeff Bezoz is making inroads to the guitar world... Amazon Basics Guitar Pedals, supposedly made by Nux.

Seven of them:
  1. Booster
  2. Compressor
  3. Delay
  4. Distortion
  5. Looper
  6. Overdrive
  7. Tuner
$26.75, each.

Discuss.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've got several Amazon Basics products. Some are really good and some are really average, but I don't think any of them are bad. I've only had one Nux pedal, and I thought it was pretty average. It was their klone pedal, but I forget the name of it. Since they're all in that $25 - %50 range, I'm sure I'll try at least a couple of them. I'm sufficiently curious.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Awwww, see, now you've gone and made me do it. lol Since I've been playing with compressor pedals lately trying to find one I like, I just ordered their compressor. Should be here Thursday.
Link for anyone else that's curious.
Compressors are a black hole ... you will virtually never find one you like on your first dive in there. They are NOT all alike, FAR FROM IT. I am not at all surprised you haven't found one you like. I bought 6 of the damned things before finally finding pay dirt. I was looking for CLEAN SUSTAIN. I can't even remember what they all were. I know one was a Dyna Comp, which I hated because I could hear it kick in and out, and one was a Rivera Sustain Shaman that had reviews saying it was the greatest thing since sliced bread but that did nothing for me but turn my rig into a screeching howling banshee and that would not sustain for crap without a ton of dirt dialed in. YOU CANNOT TRUST THE HYPE!!!
I finally struck pay dirt with my Pigtronix Philosophers Tone Germanium Gold. The original was discontinued, and soon as I saw they were being disontinued I bought a 2nd one just to be sure I always have one in case my first one goes boobs up.
I run my Pigtrinix on 18V for max headroom.
COMPACT BOARD 2.jpg

Last edited:

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
No chorus either. I would expect these are either not popular enough to get the economies of scale needed or cost to much to make.

cheers

Al

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Believe me, my pedal collection is already way beyond what I "need".
Me too.
And this is just roughly half of them ... I have given this many away. :eek:
Newbies beware! Pedals are an addictive affliction and it will take you years to arrive at what pedals are "best" for YOU.
IMG_0643.JPG

Last edited:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Awwww, see, now you've gone and made me do it. lol Since I've been playing with compressor pedals lately trying to find one I like, I just ordered their compressor. Should be here Thursday.

Link for anyone else that's curious.

As far as compressors go, I started out with a Dynacomp but ended up the TC Electronics Hypergravity.

It's analog, very adjustable and has sustain to spare.

Just throwin' that out there.

Link: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ioah5fHg9jrRNK54CsUaArF2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
As far as compressors go, I started out with a Dynacomp but ended up the TC Electronics Hypergravity.

It's analog, very adjustable and has sustain to spare.

Just throwin' that out there.

Link: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ioah5fHg9jrRNK54CsUaArF2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
That looks to be a very usable compressor for clean sustain. TC Electronics doesn't make any junk. The toneprint editor, for me at least, is something I would never use ... just so much to dink with that it equates to overwhelming overload. As with so many "super versatile" pedals, one will just find a setting they like the most and leave it there forever. Problem with this one is that it could take you 10 years to decide which setting you like the most.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
That looks to be a very usable compressor for clean sustain. TC Electronics doesn't make any junk. The toneprint editor, for me at least, is something I would never use ... just so much to dink with that it equates to overwhelming overload. As with so many "super versatile" pedals, one will just find a setting they like the most and leave it there forever. Problem with this one is that it could take you 10 years to decide which setting you like the most.

Yeah I really have no use for the Toneprint thing but most of the TC pedals have it and who knows? I might might try it out someday.

But the compressor is really cool. The "Vintage" setting along with a few knob tweaks can really create some serious squash. But I prefer the "Spectra" setting as it is very transparent and gives me tons of sustain without the "pick-scraping-the-string" sounds that many compressors produce.

When I combine it with my MXR Analog Chorus, I am in tone heaven!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Yeah I really have no use for the Toneprint thing but most of the TC pedals have it and who knows? I might might try it out someday.

But the compressor is really cool. The "Vintage" setting along with a few knob tweaks can really create some serious squash. But I prefer the "Spectra" setting as it is very transparent and gives me tons of sustain without the "pick-scraping-the-string" sounds that many compressors produce.

When I combine it with my MXR Analog Chorus, I am in tone heaven!
The mix knob is the most important. No compressor is worth a chit without one ... and I see that the Nux compressor does have one. But I love my Pigtronix to death and have no reason to explore further.

I have several TC pedals. Their Arena reverb has a setting proprietary to only it called "Royal" that is the lushest reverb I have ever heard and not found in their Hall Of Fame pedal. They were exclusive to Musicians Friend and Guitar Center and I don't think they are available any more.

Last edited: