Practice Routine

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I just thought of doing this Routine.

I took the popular keys G,A,B,C,D,E and alternate F & Bb and for each day of the week practice whatever I practice in a different key each day. EX. G is on Mon.,A is on Tues etc. If I miss a day thats ok I just practice the next day what ever day that is in the assigned key / day. This way I figure I will get better accustomed to playing in othe areas and keys I'm not so familiar with. Alot of times it seems like lessons are in G,A.
What do all you think. Any other suggestions.

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
That's a great idea. Another idea that I use occasionally is to break out of the boxes. For instance, if you're working on your A day and you're playing a solo that is predominately in box 1, move the solo to box 3 (or any other box) and see if you can play it there.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I do that with the scales, each one assigned a different day of the week and run my Penatonics, then 5 days a week a letter from CAGED and go across the fretboard

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I just started picking a note for the day, I start by identifying everywhere on the fretboard. Then I play the take that note and going from sixth to first string apply the minor blues/pentatonic scale from the right of the root, then I do the same thing to the left of the root. Then I do the same thing for the major blues/pentatonic.

After I get a little more comfortable with it, I'm going to start using the BGU flashcard tool to randomize things, beginning with one variable, then another, etc.

As well as adding the metronome to get things more consistent and work on speed.

It's interesting to see that the patterns really begin to look like Box One and Two all over the neck, just starting the pattern on different strings and accounting for the shift from the G to B strings.

ronico

rainyislandblues
Not sure if this is gonna make sense? I put on a loop track, whatever and play though the boxes across,up down ,and back again and feeling like I'm getting pretty decent results, as I'm tagging both maj/min territory without overthinking it but just getting a decent grip on the whole fretboard and and finding my way home when I get lost. Stick pretty much to the pentatonic as the blues notes, at this time, throws me off. Bit of 3+2 and 2+3 thrown in. Also becoming a fan of Ionian and Aeolian mixed for some tasties. Not really a structured learner more of a dig in and experience person. YMMV. Hey anybody remember way back when there was a learning related thread about this? Was quite a while back.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
this Monday I started a switch up..............I am doing the G major scale with three notes per string, then A minor penatonic boxes.
Next week I will pick two different letters