Can't catch a break...

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I am with you! The weather in Northern California is totally crazy. 87 mph winds, 5% humidity, and no rain in sight. Fire danger is severe. Evacuate Berkeley Hills! Turn off the electricity!

It is 67 in the house. One day you have to turn on the air conditioner, but not yesterday. Warm weather will be here in a few days. October, traditionally, is the warmest month of the year, but not this year.

Tom

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Over half way through Spring here in NSW Australia and I have had the heating back on since Sunday, crazy. We had drought conditions for years and it has rained nearly non-stop since Saturday. But as Newscorp media keep reporting, no such thing as global warming!

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Don't know if I should put on the speedos for a morning swim or, long johns to shovel the snow. I am so confused...
Same here Brother---Not only are "The times are changing" so is the weather. The longest hottest summer I can remember here (35 years). No rain in 4 months (unheard of)--I think there is a 60-40 chance it is being caused by all the wild/forest fires that seem to never end on the Pacific Coast. These fires produces enough heat and smoke and air pollution to screw up any planets climate. Juz sayin'

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

A complaint here in Northern California, is that we have had droughts for so many years. During those "in between years", it will rain a great deal, and lots of vegetation will grow, creating an abundant amount of fuel for the following fire season. You can't win for loosing! :(

Around 1946, "Smokey The Bear" became popular with the motto: "Only you can prevent forest fires"! 20 years ago, we had 400 forest fires in one day in Northern California. They were caused by lightning - not by people! :eek: How can you prevent lightning? Well, that is beyond me. But things got better this year. We had over 12,000 lightning strikes in a 72 hour period, during the month of August, which started over 500 fires. So we must be doing better? :confused:

When I was stationed at Orlando Air Force Base, in Florida, they said that Orlando had the greatest number of lightning strikes in the country. We would be driving down the hiway around 9 PM and then a lightning storm would come up. We would pull off the road, as did everyone else, and watch until it passed. Man what a sight! Once, I actually saw a cross created by two bolts of lightning.

I was in the barracks one afternoon, around 4:30 PM, when a bolt of lightning hit a pine tree next to my window. The tree exploded, and was split in half. Sap was on fire. It really stunk!

I worked at the Military Affiliated Radio Service (MARS) Station. We ran phone patches from ground to air, air to ground. At 1 PM we always disconnected our antennas, due to lightning storms in the area. One day, the two Sergeants I worked with were on the air and it was after 1 PM. A bolt of lightning hit the two antennas we were using. One bolt ran down the coax cable to where we were sitting while on the air. It was very blue and moved slowly. Sergeant Wells (W4HLH) was running a phone patch and he had his arms on the table around the microphone. Then all hell broke loose! The blue flash came all the way down to our console, and arced between the receiver and transmitter, and around the microphone. But that was nothing!

Sergeant Dyer was running a phone patch in the next room. There was a loud noise and a blue bolt of lightning ran down the hall way. Normally, we would have our legs under the console while running a phone patch, but Dyer had placed his legs 90 degrees left. Had he had his legs in the normal position, he would have been hit by the lightning!

I felt sorry for Dyer, as he was so shaken up. Wells, decided to play a dirty trick on Dyer. When Dyer began to regain his composure, he sat down. Wells picked up a wasted paper basket, walked up behind Dyer, and threw it down full force near the rear of Dyers chair. Dyer screamed, jumped up, and left for the rest of the day! :eek::(:cry:

Tom

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Last year by this time, my tomato and jalapeno plants had all been killed by frost. This year, I still have a bumper crop of jalapenos and I'm still getting a few small tomatoes every few days. The pond is full. The grass is green. I woke up this morning, so I have nothing to complain about...
good-job-smiley-emoticon.gif

Silicon Valley Tom

Last year by this time, my tomato and jalapeno plants had all been killed by frost. This year, I still have a bumper crop of jalapenos and I'm still getting a few small tomatoes every few days. The pond is full. The grass is green. I woke up this morning, so I have nothing to complain about...
good-job-smiley-emoticon.gif

Are you really sure? This could all be a dream! :eek:

Tom

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Spent the day shoveling snow. Grrrrr...
Sorry about that---it was 21degrees here this morning (to cold to snow)--and people whining about global warming---but yet they are moving to Arizona by the thousands and thousands every month. I will make a bumper sticker that say's "Los Lunas, N.M- Heaven on Earth-loves cold weather refugees.". That should up your house prices and taxes.:Beer: