Counting Audibly vs Using a Metronome

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
So right away I realized that counting out loud was going to be challenging for me even though I have a good feel for the blues and when to play chords and notes.

It really is a challenge! I've been playing for several years now and when I need to stop and count something out, I quickly discover the difficulties I encounter trying to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Rick, there are different approaches to this topic. You should try several, and see what works best for you. One approach is to listen to a piece you like, find a corresponding Jam Track and play over it. Start at a slow pace and build your speed. When you think you "have got it", record yourself! :cool:

You should have all your basic techniques underhand. If you use a pick, then being able to single pick notes, double, and triple pick. Then add slides, bends, hammer on - off, etc. Learning a solo is one thing, but "improvising" (stealing from others! ;)) is a horse of a different color. :confused: This is where the term "borrow" comes from! (y)

Tom

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
This is why I love this forum. I learn something all the time.
Just when I was starting to master my instrument of choice, the triangle, I learn of this new thing called a metronome.
Finally!!! An instrument that I can play really, really well!!!!! And right on time too.
Then I learn that it's not really all that new, so now I'm going to have to invest big bucks in one of those vintage ones with the pendulum
and sliding weight. Another rabbit hole and money pit to dive into!

MarcV

Blues Junior
I'm brand new to BGU and this is my first post. I searched for "counting" and ended up on this thread. I've been playing about ten years and finally decided to narrow my focus to playing the blues and this site looks perfect. So right away I realized that counting out loud was going to be challenging for me even though I have a good feel for the blues and when to play chords and notes. Griff makes it clear that he thinks counting is a fundamental and stresses its benefits. What's the consensus out there on this? If I move ahead in the course without nailing this am I making a mistake? Thanks, Rick in Washington State

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Count if and when you need to count.

Only you can tell when that is.

Most likely when you're messin' something up. :)

MarcV

Blues Junior
Hey Rick. First of all welcome. This is great thread in general but wanted to respond to your question. "Do you need to nail the counting before moving on? Short answer for me is "No" and let me explain myself because this is sort of bad answer on this site.:(.

This site is fantastic and Griff's emphasis on counting is very important and it is good idea to put the time, effort and focus try to get the count right as best you can for things that you are learning
But.... I struggle mightily with the counting and with a bunch of licks at tempo it gets to be very much not fun. And basically I want to have fun.
There are two general categories of lessons here,

1)rhythm skills (strumming mastery, etc) and all types of lead stuff.
I would say that for the rhythm stuff nailing the counting is absolutely essential. IE you cannot use it if you can't count it.

But with the lead stuff, I feel there is some wiggle room. IE trying to get the count perfect is the ideal but I have employed plenty of licks where I never nail the counting but I listen back to them and they sound fine to me.

dwparker

Bluesologist
In the end I just decided to learn to count out loud. It is awkward at first, ecpecially if you already play and aren't used to doing it, but this goes over fairly quickly. On the rhythm stuff in BGU I honestly don't need to, but with the solos counting out loud became really useful, especiallg during the tricky bits.