Are All ABGU Lessons Using Pick & Fingers Combo?

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
I've been a member for almost 2 months and just started ABGU, so my acoustic guitar won't feel lonely. I'm on Lesson 2, I can finger pick and I usually use a pick, but I don't really care for this hybrid picking thing. My brain ain't big enough, not my style.

I have 5 days before my monthly membership is up and was planning on signing up for a year, but I want to know if all or most of his lessons are hybrid picking?

Thank you,

Ned

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Nope. In fact, I think after he shows you how to do the hybrid picking, it really never comes up again. It's really your choice for most of the stuff, but there are definite requirements to finger pick (not necessarily hybrid). I think the hybrid thing is always a personal choice for you between a thumb and a pick. Good luck with the course. I think the AAP is a great deal - especially if you use your Golden Tickets wisely and participate in the monthly "activities." After one year, you end up with more than 5 years worth of study material!
Enjoy!

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Like jmin said, it's your choice, I'm not a big hybrid fan myself, but it can be handy at times

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
I just checked out Turnarounds, I'm always looking out for new ones, but that is also hybrid.

So for variety I checked out Amazing Grace, always wanted to learn that. As for my finger picking I'm good at 3 fingers, my ring and pinky are useless appendages, and he has chords that not only use all 5 fingers but do so in a "rolling manner". I'll keep looking though. Thanks

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I just checked out Turnarounds, I'm always looking out for new ones, but that is also hybrid.

So for variety I checked out Amazing Grace, always wanted to learn that. As for my finger picking I'm good at 3 fingers, my ring and pinky are useless appendages, and he has chords that not only use all 5 fingers but do so in a "rolling manner". I'll keep looking though. Thanks
I use those same fingers primarily, occasionally employ my ring finger, I can usually handle any picking pattern with those or alter it to suit my abilities

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
The choice is yours - pick, fingers or hybrid. Whatever you're comfortable with. That's what I like about Griff's approach. I'm most comfortable with fingers and them almost exclusively for ABGU.

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
I just found a lesson I love because it's using a pick in E: Saturday Evening Blues in BGU Insider. Why it's buried in there I don't know, I stumbled on it (that's why there should be an index), it should be in the Acoustic section. But it had an open, actually a turnaround used as an opener, and it had a finger twanging the high E so I tried it. I discovered that I can do that, but just that cuz it's one finger and his E I can't miss it.

However, I don't attain the real clear sound that Griff gets with his no pick finger, I can't tell if he's using his finger nail (the video was made in 2011 so he won't remember), the flesh of the end of my finger is plucking that string so I don't get his clear sound on the high E. Another reason for me to avoid hybrid picking.

Also I noticed something that can be improved for free in his videos. I can not tell what his picking fingers are doing at what time, on what string, because the camera is aimed smack straight at the tops of his knuckles. I recently retired after 44 years as a Director/Cameraman for TV shows and documentaries, plus I shot a zillion training videos. The close up of his right hand camera, if it came in at more of an angle, say maybe 30-40 degrees, and from a little below, bounce some light from below, then I could see which finger is doing what.

Ned

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I just found a lesson I love because it's using a pick in E: Saturday Evening Blues in BGU Insider. Why it's buried in there I don't know, I stumbled on it (that's why there should be an index), it should be in the Acoustic section. But it had an open, actually a turnaround used as an opener, and it had a finger twanging the high E so I tried it. I discovered that I can do that, but just that cuz it's one finger and his E I can't miss it.

However, I don't attain the real clear sound that Griff gets with his no pick finger, I can't tell if he's using his finger nail (the video was made in 2011 so he won't remember), the flesh of the end of my finger is plucking that string so I don't get his clear sound on the high E. Another reason for me to avoid hybrid picking.

Also I noticed something that can be improved for free in his videos. I can not tell what his picking fingers are doing at what time, on what string, because the camera is aimed smack straight at the tops of his knuckles. I recently retired after 44 years as a Director/Cameraman for TV shows and documentaries, plus I shot a zillion training videos. The close up of his right hand camera, if it came in at more of an angle, say maybe 30-40 degrees, and from a little below, bounce some light from below, then I could see which finger is doing what.

Ned
I can see why a newcomer would be confused by some of the layout, but us earlier guys who have been here (many of them well before me) have seen the evolution as Griff has brought BGU along and started the transformation it's going through now, so a lot of the oddities make perfect sense to us, because we were there when they were originally launched, the AAP concept is relatively new as is much of the digital streaming, a lot of these courses were originally DVD/CD and Book in the beginning, BGU insiders was a monthly subscription for members who choose to subscribe, it didn't work out so that's why that content is here, again please remember Griff is a one man operation for the most part

Jay Dee

Blues addicted

Ned
Check out Down to the Station in AGBU ...I think that would suit you.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Did you "attend" last Thursday's live AAP session?

Griff gave a "guided tour" of the AAP members' area and "My Courses", explaining what and where everything is and the evolution of the site.

I'm pretty sure you were one of the members he had in mind when he did it. o_O

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member

Ned
You'll often hear me talk about this strange word, 'or', and how I don't really understand it ;)

Some of my lessons are hybrid, some are picked, some are fingerstyle. Some use a very classical fingerstyle and position, some use a really traditional blues type of position.

The guiding principle for me at all times is the sound. If i can get the sound I want with a certain technique, then that is the one I use. This comes from my time as a classical guitarist and my teacher beating it into me, "The music dictates the technique, not the other way around!"

As for the ringing sound of the high E and getting it clear, the simple answer is practice. I do keep my nails ever so slightly longer on my right hand and I've learned to allow just a hint of my fingernail to add to my sound - but that is not an accident, it was practiced and perfected over time, so don't expect it to happen naturally.

And yes, I'm aware that my camera work probably leaves a bit to be desired, especially on those older lessons. I'm in the middle of moving my studio right now, but I hope that in the new place I can finally get the lighting and camera angles that I'd like to have. It's definitely been a process to learn how to do video over the years.

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
Thanks everyone! Mr. Paleo, is:

"guided tour" of the AAP members' area and "My Courses"

archived somewhere? It's difficult to watch things live, especially on a Thursday. If so, please steer me to it. And Hngman, I will look at Down to the Station. And Griff, thank you, I know it's hard being a one man band. Many thanks, Ned

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Not Paleo, but here's where you want to go. Are you on a laptop or your phone? If you're on your phone, the steps will be the same, but will look different.

From the member/course section, go to the top right and click the Cool Stuff dropdown. Then click on All Access. That will take you to the page below. It doesn't look like he has the 9/3 session uploaded yet (I think he's moving office/studios at the moment), but it will end up here. Not sure which of the 3 headings on the right it'll be under, but, once it's there, just click the 2020 link for the session, and it'll show you all the sessions for this year so far in that category. Watch from there.

I do remember him saying that everything is running behind this month because of the move, so it may be a little while yet before he gets that one posted.

Also, MikeS has an index of AAP sessions posted here. Since you're AAP, you should have access to all of those as well. Just click the appropriate year under the appropriate category, and they're in date order so you can find them.

AAP sessions.jpg

Stephanie-NoelDodt

Blues Newbie
I've been a member for almost 2 months and just started ABGU, so my acoustic guitar won't feel lonely. I'm on Lesson 2, I can finger pick and I usually use a pick, but I don't really care for this hybrid picking thing. My brain ain't big enough, not my style.

I have 5 days before my monthly membership is up and was planning on signing up for a year, but I want to know if all or most of his lessons are hybrid picking?

Thank you,

Ned
I was just looking through the ABGU book last night along with the videos. There is a fair mixture of pick and of fingers. Anywhere there is thump bass it seems to be fingerstyle. I did discover I liked using a Dunlop Ultex Thumbpick with fingers, which seems to help if you want your bass a bit louder but like the feeling of plain fingerstyle.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I was just looking through the ABGU book last night along with the videos. There is a fair mixture of pick and of fingers. Anywhere there is thump bass it seems to be fingerstyle. I did discover I liked using a Dunlop Ultex Thumbpick with fingers, which seems to help if you want your bass a bit louder but like the feeling of plain fingerstyle.

As Griff sys... That's the way he does it but you can use a pick for most of it too.

Stephanie-NoelDodt

Blues Newbie
As Griff sys... That's the way he does it but you can use a pick for most of it too.

I like the idea that Griff proposed at the beginning of the course. He recommends learning pick and fingers. I am trying to do that because I don't want to limit myself, but I admit to enjoying the feeling of fingerstyle and really want to learn it. I have just invested in Robert Johnson's complete recordings, a book with complete transcriptions of all 29 of his songs, plus a 3 DVD set of his songs being played and it is interesting to note that Johnson actually played, at least some of the time, with a combination of thumbpick and fingers. I noticed it because I started to play with a Dunlop Ultex Thumbpick and fingers and found it pleasing. I'm having a lot of fun with all of this!

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
Glad you found you're niche and are comfortable with your approach. In my opinion you found the most important aspect of learning to play - having fun. Keep up the good work!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I like the idea that Griff proposed at the beginning of the course. He recommends learning pick and fingers. I am trying to do that because I don't want to limit myself, but I admit to enjoying the feeling of fingerstyle and really want to learn it. I have just invested in Robert Johnson's complete recordings, a book with complete transcriptions of all 29 of his songs, plus a 3 DVD set of his songs being played and it is interesting to note that Johnson actually played, at least some of the time, with a combination of thumbpick and fingers. I noticed it because I started to play with a Dunlop Ultex Thumbpick and fingers and found it pleasing. I'm having a lot of fun with all of this!

Another thing Griff talks about is that each of us have our own "guitar DNA" or a way to play that suits us as individuals. I've played around with thumb picks and never liked them. I've always wanted to be able to finger pick, but I never spent the time to get good at it.

Elwood

Blues
with a combination of thumbpick and fingers
You have something there Stephanie. :thumbup: Welcome!!!
I was enjoying my morning time with the acoustics, bare fingers. After considerable time and effort, my thumb started feeling like it had a "hot spot" right on the tip of the thumb bone (no "burny skin", bad hoodoo). This only got worse until I (once again) grabbed my thumb pick. For a few weeks I have not allowed my thumb to touch a string. My thumb feels great and I may finally have bonded with the pick. I just put one in my pocket in the morning and use it consistently (I'll admit to being silly, I just wear the thing around the house to get used to it). I much prefer the sound balance of the strings using a thumbpick and fingers for most (acoustic, finger picky) stuff. You can sneak that thumbpick around and do some treble work with it too, then you have some flexibility. Of course you need flat pick skills too. See if you can find Tommy Emmanual talking about Chet Atkins. That thumb pick can be like a Swiss Army Knife. The other thing (watch Chet or Tommy) is being able to just "play" the guitar. You can use a fingerstyle passage to lead into a more raucous chorus, and then back into the quiet...without worrying about your right hand, yes! It seems like if you become deft with that thumbpick, you can do what you want with it....I'll get back on that one.
Looking forward to hearing you when you feel like sharing some of your work! If you are like me you will find that Griff's teaching is fun and provides a good solid path. Learning with him makes it so much easier when you want to tackle something not right in his courses, and what is in his courses is great!!! Works for me.

Last edited: