How to install inlays on a guitar neck.

leftymike01

Blues Newbie
anyone have some advise on installing block inlays on a acoustic guitar?
I also could use some advise on the peel; and stick inlays kits that are sold on amazon,.ebay
has anyone use these ? , or is their a better way to go. I don't want to screw up my guitar neck

straightblues

Blues Junior
The peel and stick ones that are around $20 work great. They are easy to do and you don't feel them when you play. I like them. Of course, you could have professional inlays properly installed for around $200.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Standard inlays would need sanding down to fit the fretboard. This would mean removing the frets to sand down the inlays so I wouldn't suggest doing it unless you need a refret.

Cheers

Al

leftymike01

Blues Newbie
Guitar is fairly new ,So i guess my only option is the peel and stick
which is a bumper reading reviews its a mix bag on the peel and stick type

Elio

Student Of The Blues
[]
anyone have some advise on installing block inlays on a acoustic guitar?
I also could use some advise on the peel; and stick inlays kits that are sold on amazon,.ebay
has anyone use these ? , or is their a better way to go. I don't want to screw up my guitar neck

I have used the stick on inlays and they worked out great. I have a 1987 Peavey bass on which several of the perloid dots had darkened quite a bit. Nothing i tried would lighten them so I gave the stick on ones a try, fully expecting them to peel off in a short time. It's approaching a year now and they are going strong and still looking good. It's hard to tell the dots up to th 12th fret are not real even up close. I just cleaned that part of the board with an alcohol wipe before applying them.

ATTACH=full]12840[/ATTACH

Attachments

• 16034368432092270522077889648396.jpg
    16034368432092270522077889648396.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

DesmoDog

Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy
Not to be pedantic but "inlay stickers" is an oxymoron.

True inlays are a not easy to do well and would require tools I'm gonna bet you don't have. I'd think the worst that could happen with stickers would be you'd have to scrape them off again. So, it would seem to me like stickers are the only realistic option.

If'n it were me I'd skip both options and use it as an excuse to buy another guitar... ;-)