Five boxes? Technique for bends?

RonHopkins

Blues Newbie
Very sorry if the answers to these two questions can be found somewhere already on these forums. I’m new and still learning to navigate.

First, Griff keeps mentioning these “five boxes.” What are these, and where can I learn them?

Second, is there a video or lesson somewhere that teaches/discusses string bends for someone who has NEVER done them? I keep popping high e strings at about the eighth fret. I noticed on my brand new string after three or four bends I have a fret groove in the string from bending and grinding it too hard into the fret.

Thank you for your input.

—Ron

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
What course or courses are you working through? If you tell us that, we can probably point you to the answers there.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
The 5 boxes or pentatonic scale shapes are in most of Griff's courses, although you won't find them in Beginning Blues Guitar, Strumming & Rhythm Mastery, and Solos Without Scales. A good treatment starts in Chapter 15 of Blues Guitar Unleashed and continues through the rest of the course. That course also introduces bends.

There was a pretty recent thread in the Gear section that got into bending problems and fret/string wear. It might be useful, since what you describe sounds like you're pressing down too hard and your frets might need some cleaning up. Both of those things are discussed: https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php?threads/grooves-in-my-fretwires.30938/

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Here's a snippet of my answer to the post DVS is referencing above about bending and string breaks.

"The tip-off in my case was that I was breaking strings left and right until it was pointed out to me that when bending I was directing all the pressure downward and grinding the string into the fret. In reality, there really needs to be very little downward pressure. As long as the string is making contact with the fret, the key is to direct the pressure across the fretboard, rather than downward onto it."

Also, here is s video that Griff did with Marty Schwartz on how to do bends

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Griff keeps mentioning these “five boxes.” What are these, and where can I learn them?

Boxes / Shapes / Forms / Positions / Patterns

These terms all refer to the same thing.

Patterns of notes of a given scale as they occur in a given area of the fretboard, usually broken down into 5 regions in Griff's courses.

Because each note on the guitar occurs in more than one place (except the very lowest and highest), you can play the same scale in each of these 5 different areas, i.e. the scales are "contained" in "Boxes".

Boxes of the Major and minor pentatonic and blues scales can be found in the following pdf. :)

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/pdf/major-minor-blues-boxes.pdf

And here's some relevant videos from Griff's blog:

https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/blog/blues-scale-for-guitar/

https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/blog/you-might-be-practicing-your-boxes-wrong/

https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/blog/how-to-find-all-5-boxes-no-matter-what-key/

Last edited:

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
Boxes / Shapes / Forms / Positions / Patterns

These terms all refer to the same thing.

Patterns of notes of a given scale as they occur in a given area of the fretboard, usually broken down into 5 regions in Griff's courses.

Boxes of the Major and minor pentatonic and blues scales can be found in the following pdf. :)

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/pdf/major-minor-blues-boxes.pdf

This PDF is imho the best, most concise outline of the five boxes, major and minor, and a very good place to start. I don't know how many times I printed it off over the years.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
penatonic scales and mastery class is the way to go.........................if you do a page a day it will get you through the penatonic boxes, best course I ever did. Not only does it teach the boxes, it helps you to hear the notes you want to find much better than anything else I ever did.

It will also help you move up and down the neck easier

The other benefit, as you learn to hear the sounds, you will learn to hear when a bend is in the proper place, as it is not some arbitrary place to bend too,you are bending to a specific note

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Take a look at the Blues Guitar Unleashed Manual. pages 56 (Box1), 64 (Box 2) and 88 (box 3, 4 & 5.)

As far as bends are concerned, I don't know of a lesson that talks about them specifically, but if you are breaking strings and you notice marks on the strings from the frets, the answer is ALWAYS that you are pressing down too hard.
You should only press as hard as necessary to contact the fret, then you should be applying pressure up towards your head not down into the neck or towards your body. 99.99% of us have had this problem at first. A lighter touch and sliding not pressing is the answer.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Very sorry if the answers to these two questions can be found somewhere already on these forums. I’m new and still learning to navigate.

First, Griff keeps mentioning these “five boxes.” What are these, and where can I learn them?

Second, is there a video or lesson somewhere that teaches/discusses string bends for someone who has NEVER done them? I keep popping high e strings at about the eighth fret. I noticed on my brand new string after three or four bends I have a fret groove in the string from bending and grinding it too hard into the fret.

Thank you for your input.

—Ron

I really like your questions because I think you may be focusing on two of the most important things about Blues guitar.
I would add the “1-4-5” rhythm form, and I think you’d have 95% of it covered! Griff does a great job of covering these though various courses. He also discusses them (and tons of good stuff) in his YouTube lessons. Like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFS7uhYZ3yE on the boxes, or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aBw9P34C5s on bending...

Good luck on your journey! I think you picked a good path and a great guide!

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
It makes me sad when I hear that a guitarist is having problems breaking strings doing bends. I have been playing Blues guitar since 1960, and have not broken any strings. There are great answers above from others as to how to accomplish a bend, and not break strings. Of course we are presuming that the guitar frets are properly shaped, etc. Technique is so important! Lighter is better.

I used to make jokes that I was not doing bends correctly, as I was not breaking strings. Go slow, and do not force it. :)

Tom

dwparker

Bluesologist
There are a number of ways to bend strings, and all aren't created equal. Look up the Justin Guitar video on string bending. It fixed the problems I was having and will maybe help you.

ronico

rainyislandblues
This PDF is imho the best, most concise outline of the five boxes, major and minor, and a very good place to start. I don't know how many times I printed it off over the years.
@RonHopkins My take: print these fretboard diagrams from Terry B, actually think they're Griffs? Learn box 1 Am pentatonic comfortably, box 5 Am pent (just below box 1, see top notes of box 5 are bottom of box 1. Then box 2 just above box 1. see the bottom notes box 2 are top notes of box 1. Try noodling in box 1 to a jam track in Am and taking a side trip to either box 5 or2 then home (so you don't get lost lol!) Later you can deal with boxes 3 and 4. This worked and is still working for me down the line. Hoping this brings your AHA moment closer. !t's a wonderful thing!!! BTW Paleo is the theory dude so anything he opines on is worth a read:Beer:

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
@RonHopkins My take: print these fretboard diagrams from Terry B, actually think they're Griffs? Learn box 1 Am pentatonic comfortably, box 5 Am pent (just below box 1, see top notes of box 5 are bottom of box 1. Then box 2 just above box 1. see the bottom notes box 2 are top notes of box 1. Try noodling in box 1 to a jam track in Am and taking a side trip to either box 5 or2 then home (so you don't get lost lol!) Later you can deal with boxes 3 and 4. This worked and is still working for me down the line. Hoping this brings your AHA moment closer. !t's a wonderful thing!!! BTW Paleo is the theory dude so anything he opines on is worth a read:Beer:

Yes this is one of Griff's early guides to the five boxes.

RonHopkins

Blues Newbie
What course or courses are you working through? If you tell us that, we can probably point you to the answers there.
Thanks for replying. Right now I’m working my way through guitar theory as well as rhythm and strumming. I’m also just starting BGU2.0.

RonHopkins

Blues Newbie
I really like your questions because I think you may be focusing on two of the most important things about Blues guitar.
I would add the “1-4-5” rhythm form, and I think you’d have 95% of it covered! Griff does a great job of covering these though various courses. He also discusses them (and tons of good stuff) in his YouTube lessons. Like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFS7uhYZ3yE on the boxes, or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aBw9P34C5s on bending...

Good luck on your journey! I think you picked a good path and a great guide!
Thanks for your reply. I’m really enjoying the beginning of this journey.

RonHopkins

Blues Newbie
It makes me sad when I hear that a guitarist is having problems breaking strings doing bends. I have been playing Blues guitar since 1960, and have not broken any strings. There are great answers above from others as to how to accomplish a bend, and not break strings. Of course we are presuming that the guitar frets are properly shaped, etc. Technique is so important! Lighter is better.

I used to make jokes that I was not doing bends correctly, as I was not breaking strings. Go slow, and do not force it. :)

Tom
Thanks for your input. I’ll definitely work on it.

RonHopkins

Blues Newbie
Take a look at the Blues Guitar Unleashed Manual. pages 56 (Box1), 64 (Box 2) and 88 (box 3, 4 & 5.)

As far as bends are concerned, I don't know of a lesson that talks about them specifically, but if you are breaking strings and you notice marks on the strings from the frets, the answer is ALWAYS that you are pressing down too hard.
You should only press as hard as necessary to contact the fret, then you should be applying pressure up towards your head not down into the neck or towards your body. 99.99% of us have had this problem at first. A lighter touch and sliding not pressing is the answer.
I’m sure you are absolutely correct. Technique, practice, and time. Thanks for your advice and comments. I’ll work on it.