Trey Anastasio Beacon Theater Sessions free

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
Hey everyone,

I just watched Trey’s second in a series of 8 weekly Friday night sessions on twitchtv. I missed last Friday night’s session because I didn’t just click his link. Instead I fell in a rabbit hole of creating an account et all then being asking to pay for a subscription. NOT needed.

My kids almost forced me into a Phish and so glad they did. I had years ago discounted them as another boring jam band without ever hearing them (well who was going to pass me a Phish cassette in Greensboro). One of the first songs I ever heard them play was Jesus Left Chicago (Hey Blues!).

Tonight playing the Languedoc Blonde No. 2, a 1937 Martin D28, and a stringed quartet along with an abbreviated TAB band backup in an empty Beacon Theater playing with the theater at their backs. Really, really good. Anyway heads up he’ll be on 6 more Friday’s 8PM. Try this or similar-

Watch @treyanastaio's The Beacon Jams now for free (live from New York City’s Beacon Theatre) on @twitch at twitch.tv/treyanastasio

Cheers,
John

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Hmmmm. My HS and college friends tried to force me into Phish many years ago. Probably saw them 10-12 times in the early 90’s before I simply refused to subject myself to any more torture. The more I listened the less I liked Trey’s playing which was often times nothing more than a highly intoxicated guy playing a bunch of notes. Just because it’s out of key doesn’t make it jazz!

Anyway, I heard he is more sober these days. Has his playing improved because of it? The price is right, so maybe I’ll give him another 5 minutes.

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
Hmmmm. My HS and college friends tried to force me into Phish many years ago. Probably saw them 10-12 times in the early 90’s before I simply refused to subject myself to any more torture. The more I listened the less I liked Trey’s playing which was often times nothing more than a highly intoxicated guy playing a bunch of notes. Just because it’s out of key doesn’t make it jazz!

Anyway, I heard he is more sober these days. Has his playing improved because of it? The price is right, so maybe I’ll give him another 5 minutes.

That’s interesting. There are a lot of Phish 1.0/2.0 snobs that obsess over the 80s and 90s. I was introduced to them 6 years ago. I think they have improved each year. 2.0 broke up in 2003 apparently due to the heavy partying on tour etc. Trey got busted with a DWI a couple years later and had to go through rehab. Says he’s been clean since.

If you do give him a listen, I’d be interested in your thoughts.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
I think I saw them between 1989 and 1995. At one show, they were so high, for the encore, they came out on stage, laid down and started giggling. After 5-10 minutes of that, they managed to walk off stage without ever touching an instrument.