Amps anybody use an attenuator?

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Why use an attenuator with a solid state amp like a Quilter Micro Block? Can't you just lower the master volume?
Solid state amps don't need attenuators at all, they sound just as good at whisper volumes as they do cranked. At least my Quilter MicroPro and Mustang III both do.

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Many famous guitarists (B.B. King for example) would run their amps at 10 or max. :eek: However, I am very sure that their vacuum tubes did not last that long. :cry: I say that as an experienced electronics engineer. So set your amp to max, and keep the vacuum tube manufacturers and suppliers in business! :)

Tom

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Suit yourself ... just crank your amp to 10 and leave it there ... and be sure you have a few transformers handy. :)
And a whole bag of tubes. :)
Better yet, just buy a Quilter and don't worry about it. :):):)

I have been playing cranked amps for decades. I also studied amp design. Your statement is factually false. Yeah, some cheap amps and some vintage stuff from the 50’s may have issues, but pretty much anything built after 1960 WAS designed to run cranked without failing. Tube amps have natural compression that limits what the output transformer has to handle, no matter how hard you push the amp. Amp manufacturers figured out how to size a transformer a LONG time ago.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Many famous guitarists (B.B. King for example) would run their amps at 10 or max. :eek: However, I am very sure that their vacuum tubes did not last that long. :cry: I say that as an experienced electronics engineer. So set your amp to max, and keep the vacuum tube manufacturers and suppliers in business! :)

Tom

The tubes that will wear out are mostly the power tubes. If biased properly, they will last plenty long cranked, but yes they are a consumable item like tires in your car. If you want the sound of power tube distortion you have to be willing to buy power tubes.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
If I were to dime my tube amp, not only would the neighbors enjoy it, but probably the people in Australia and most of the Southern China Peninsula

JoseEspinosa

Blues Newbie
Hi all - I use the ironman II attenuator from toneking. This thing is simply awesome. I can tame my fender 57 twin down to almost whisper quite and not lose tone. I use the toneking mini on my Princeton and deluxe reverb with the same results. I tried many different attenuators (Hotplate, OXbox) but only the ironman was transparent worked this well. Just for the record there will be some small tone loss from that fact that your speaking will not be moving like it would if it were played loud, but at least to my ears this has been negligible.

Attachments

• IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Hi all - I use the ironman II attenuator from toneking. This thing is simply awesome. I can tame my fender 57 twin down to almost whisper quite and not lose tone. I use the toneking mini on my Princeton and deluxe reverb with the same results. I tried many different attenuators (Hotplate, OXbox) but only the ironman was transparent worked this well. Just for the record there will be some small tone loss from that fact that your speaking will not be moving like it would if it were played loud, but at least to my ears this has been negligible.

Sounds like something I would be interested in but after reading up on it, it appears to only work with 8 ohm setups.
My Blackstar combo is 16 ohms.

Oh well. :(

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Sounds like something I would be interested in but after reading up on it, it appears to only work with 8 ohm setups.
My Blackstar combo is 16 ohms.

Oh well. :(
The full size Ironman II has a setting so that it can be used on 16-ohm amp/speakers (see the pic). The Ironman II Mini does not; it only works with 8 ohms. I've thought about picking up the full size one a couple of times, but haven't yet. I've got a used Weber Mini Mass (25w) that I got on the cheap (I think I got it for $75) just to try out the world of attenuation. From everything I've heard and read, I think the Ironman is the way to go.

And I have the same problem...all of my Blackhearts are 16 ohm.

ToneKing_IronMan_100_back_800x800.jpg

JoseEspinosa

Blues Newbie
The full size Ironman II has a setting so that it can be used on 16-ohm amp/speakers (see the pic). The Ironman II Mini does not; it only works with 8 ohms. I've thought about picking up the full size one a couple of times, but haven't yet. I've got a used Weber Mini Mass (25w) that I got on the cheap (I think I got it for $75) just to try out the world of attenuation. From everything I've heard and read, I think the Ironman is the way to go.

And I have the same problem...all of my Blackhearts are 16 ohm.

ToneKing_IronMan_100_back_800x800.jpg
That’s correct the full sized Ironman ii can do 16 ohms. My 57 twin is 4 ohms and my Princeton and elude reverb are 8. I love it so much I got the mini too. The full sized one permantley lives on my twin. The mini goes between the other two amps.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
This is my basement setup.

Bugera attenuator after all tube PRS mt 15 into mesa cab.

The bugera is around 100 ish it is passive no power required it has multiple outputs 4 8 16 ohm and line etc.

2650526B-91EA-4213-AD2A-4E67A70D7C54.jpeg 2650526B-91EA-4213-AD2A-4E67A70D7C54.jpeg