Does anyone know where Let It Be solo and Can't Find My Way Home is?

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
I was watching an AAP Techniques video and Griff alludes to a solo lesson for Let It Be when he was discussing the 3 + 2 technique.

Also, on a FixIt there was a guy who did Can't Find My Way Home.

I am really frustrated there is no search function, or it doesn't work when I put the keywords in the box. Can anyone please tell me where these two are?

Thanks,

Ned

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
To my knowledge Griff has never done a lesson on "Can't Find My Way Home", my guess is a member was working on it and turned it in as fix it for Griff's critique, if he has done a lesson on it I too would love to find it!

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Search function wouldn't really help you with either one of those as Griff doesn't generally do songs that aren't his for copywrite reasons, but you might take a look at CRGU Solo 6 for the first. It's not the whole song, but the solo is close enough for gov't work. As he says in the course, it's a "nice, melodic line that might be played over the Beatle's classic..."

CRGU has a ton of material that is similar to or in the style of popular classic rock songs, but you have to listen to figure them out. He'll point them out to some degree in the solo section but not in the beginning section (the non-solo part of the book). Some of them are pretty obvious, but some of them, as I think I've heard Griff say, you have to listen with your big ears to recognize. I think he also covered what a bunch of them were in an AAP session a year or so back, but maybe someone else will remember which one because I couldn't tell you.

Never heard of the second song so can't help you with that one, however, if it was a FixIt, there's a high likelihood that it wasn't from a Griff lesson.

ronico

rainyislandblues
If you're talking Blind Faith "Can't find my way home" one of my faves. ought to be lots out there in google land but I'd start in an Am pentatonic and drift from there? Love that tune! That said I usually start from there and adjust...

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I was watching an AAP Techniques video and Griff alludes to a solo lesson for Let It Be when he was discussing the 3 + 2 technique.

Also, on a FixIt there was a guy who did Can't Find My Way Home.

I am really frustrated there is no search function, or it doesn't work when I put the keywords in the box. Can anyone please tell me where these two are?

Thanks,

Ned

I'm not sure why the Forum search didn't find it.
If you want to know what solos work in which songs, look here:
https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/fo...griffs-solos-where-they-work-protected.12812/

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
Thanks everyone. I did find a great Marty Shwartz doing Can't Find My Way Home, I'm sure it was a FixIt session. Maybe when they revamp the site someone can go through them all and put in more tags. That way we'll know if it's worth plowing through. I've been watching the techniques videos in 2X speed and then play regular speed when fingers are on the fretboard.

There are so many ways to do the solo in Let It Be but to my ears it sounds just like his 3 + 2 major run, I figured if I could find that it would be a breakthrough.

Many thanks,

Ned

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Thanks everyone. I did find a great Marty Shwartz doing Can't Find My Way Home, I'm sure it was a FixIt session. Maybe when they revamp the site someone can go through them all and put in more tags. That way we'll know if it's worth plowing through. I've been watching the techniques videos in 2X speed and then play regular speed when fingers are on the fretboard.

There are so many ways to do the solo in Let It Be but to my ears it sounds just like his 3 + 2 major run, I figured if I could find that it would be a breakthrough.

Many thanks,

Ned

You usually can't go wrong with one of Marty's lessons.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Marty also has a version of the Let It Be solo in his free lessons on that song that I haven't really seen anywhere else.

I used to see Marty in my office building and wrote it off as someone who looked like him, but he would always smile and wave at me. One day, I was pulling out the parking lot and saw him walk out of the building wearing a fedora and carrying a guitar case, and realized it was really him. I've chatted with him a couple times in the men's room -- nice guy!

Elwood

Blues
That's cool @Elio! Hey, what is/are your favorite harp playing key/keys? (E, G, A?) Inquiring minds want to know. :whistle: (not a total hi-jack, maybe he wants to play that song?)

@Many Moons, there are a few players that I have become more aware of in the last few years. Nathan East is certainly among my favorites. All the amazing work he does with Clapton and Co., various other appearances, and Fourplay Jazz band. (I bet that Yammy Nathan East bass is pretty nice, even if it's not a Fender!) If you like that kind of thing they do it well! Thank you for linking that! :thumbup:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
That's cool @Elio! Hey, what is/are your favorite harp playing key/keys? (E, G, A?) Inquiring minds want to know. :whistle: (not a total hi-jack, maybe he wants to play that song?)

@Many Moons, there are a few players that I have become more aware of in the last few years. Nathan East is certainly among my favorites. All the amazing work he does with Clapton and Co., various other appearances, and Fourplay Jazz band. (I bet that Yammy Nathan East bass is pretty nice, even if it's not a Fender!) If you like that kind of thing they do it well! Thank you for linking that! :thumbup:

Hmm, most blues is played in a 2nd position (cross-harp), so the song key is an interval of a 4th from the harp key (one would play a song in G using a C harp). Once you get up to E and F harps, they start getting high and shrill unless you play a low E or low F, which are tuned down an octave. G harps drop way down, so you end up having to move a lot of air to play in D. So, I guess my favorite song keys are probably E, F, G, and D. The bottom line is you need a lot of harps, but the upside is that you can usually get a really nice one for the cost of a super low-end guitar. I usually complain constantly to myself when I practice with one I don't like, but once I start playing a song I really like at a jam, I don't seem to think about it at all.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Hmm, most blues is played in a 2nd position (cross-harp), so the song key is an interval of a 4th from the harp key (one would play a song in G using a C harp). Once you get up to E and F harps, they start getting high and shrill unless you play a low E or low F, which are tuned down an octave. G harps drop way down, so you end up having to move a lot of air to play in D. So, I guess my favorite song keys are probably E, F, G, and D. The bottom line is you need a lot of harps, but the upside is that you can usually get a really nice one for the cost of a super low-end guitar. I usually complain constantly to myself when I practice with one I don't like, but once I start playing a song I really like at a jam, I don't seem to think about it at all.
ever tried a chromatic harp?

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
Thanks everyone! I've been doing Marty's version, it is also Drop D. Wow Many Moons, appreciate you sending that Clapton video. I wish the whole video was a close up of his neck. I am getting better with the Let It Be solo but on acoustic it's not quite the same.

Here is a chart for keys tween harp and guitar:

Music key —- Harmonica key
E —————– A
A —————– D
G —————– C
C —————– F
D —————– G
F —————– Bb

So choose your poison, you need 3 or 4 harps at about $50 each. The best thing about harp is it makes freight trains go by quicker, I always keep A,G,C & D in my console. When a good blues song comes on I can tell in a few seconds if the key of the harp is going to work. I strongly suggest it for a guitarist, it's fun, easy to learn, hard to sound sucky, lots of free tutorials on this interweb thingy. However, it's hard to hear the chord changes because the harp is loud! And if you have the sun roof open people at red lights always looked around where this this blues harp coming from? When they're about to spot me I stop blowing, then when they turn away I start playing again. Makes strangers laugh...

I took a couple of blues harp classes at the Chicago Old Town School of Folk Music. They were the only people that took the blues seriously. Once a week they had a for real, faux dive bar in the basement, you can bring beer, they had a paid pro drummer, rhythm and bass guitarists, and the special mics for blowing harp. Advanced students could perform and then were critiqued by the teacher, a famous blues harpist. This was last year. The thing that stuck out to me was that everyone was an old white guy. Even here we all skew older, maybe Griff is the youngest? I tried to get them to add more blues guitar classes but they said the blues is dead, just us few old guys! And these are Chicagoans saying this!

So seems like tomorrow is my last day here. I'm at the end of my 3rd month and thanks to the pandemic and being retired, I mined the site for a couple of hours every day and believe I have gleaned what I can for my level and have hit a headwind of the rest being too difficult for my 67 year old fingers. I miss acoustic in Open D. Thanks to the folks here I switched to Stringjoy strings and now want to do more acoustic. I have a Fender bar stool and play in the master bedroom's bathroom and wow, acoustically it sounds like Carnegie Hall. I appreciate all the great advice I received here. Maybe I'll come back in a few months in the near future.

Best,

Ned

Elio

Student Of The Blues
ever tried a chromatic harp?

No, I haven't. It's kind of appealing to be able to play multiple keys on the same instrument without changing positions (as often) but a little beyond where I'm at. Plus, they are really expensive -- although, not in guitar terms!

Last edited:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Thanks everyone! I've been doing Marty's version, it is also Drop D. Wow Many Moons, appreciate you sending that Clapton video. I wish the whole video was a close up of his neck. I am getting better with the Let It Be solo but on acoustic it's not quite the same.

Here is a chart for keys tween harp and guitar:

Music key —- Harmonica key
E —————– A
A —————– D
G —————– C
C —————– F
D —————– G
F —————– Bb

So choose your poison, you need 3 or 4 harps at about $50 each. The best thing about harp is it makes freight trains go by quicker, I always keep A,G,C & D in my console. When a good blues song comes on I can tell in a few seconds if the key of the harp is going to work. I strongly suggest it for a guitarist, it's fun, easy to learn, hard to sound sucky, lots of free tutorials on this interweb thingy. However, it's hard to hear the chord changes because the harp is loud! And if you have the sun roof open people at red lights always looked around where this this blues harp coming from? When they're about to spot me I stop blowing, then when they turn away I start playing again. Makes strangers laugh...

I took a couple of blues harp classes at the Chicago Old Town School of Folk Music. They were the only people that took the blues seriously. Once a week they had a for real, faux dive bar in the basement, you can bring beer, they had a paid pro drummer, rhythm and bass guitarists, and the special mics for blowing harp. Advanced students could perform and then were critiqued by the teacher, a famous blues harpist. This was last year. The thing that stuck out to me was that everyone was an old white guy. Even here we all skew older, maybe Griff is the youngest? I tried to get them to add more blues guitar classes but they said the blues is dead, just us few old guys! And these are Chicagoans saying this!

So seems like tomorrow is my last day here. I'm at the end of my 3rd month and thanks to the pandemic and being retired, I mined the site for a couple of hours every day and believe I have gleaned what I can for my level and have hit a headwind of the rest being too difficult for my 67 year old fingers. I miss acoustic in Open D. Thanks to the folks here I switched to Stringjoy strings and now want to do more acoustic. I have a Fender bar stool and play in the master bedroom's bathroom and wow, acoustically it sounds like Carnegie Hall. I appreciate all the great advice I received here. Maybe I'll come back in a few months in the near future.

Best,

Ned

I've learned a lot of songs sitting in traffic but am always self-conscious about it. Great observation about age, though. When I first picked up the guitar again in my 50's, I got an invitation to a free guitar maintenance seminar at Guitar Center, so I figured I would go hang out with the young'ns. Turns out that of the 6-7 guys there, they were all my age or older. I thought, "these are my people!"

ronico

rainyislandblues
I've learned a lot of songs sitting in traffic but am always self-conscious about it. Great observation about age, though. When I first picked up the guitar again in my 50's, I got an invitation to a free guitar maintenance seminar at Guitar Center, so I figured I would go hang out with the young'ns. Turns out that of the 6-7 guys there, they were all my age or older. I thought, "these are my people!"
Sweet! That's great!(y)